What do you think is the biggest problem in the way we view diet/food?

taylor108

This is topic I often think about and I'm just curious how other people view the current state of American(or other countries') views towards food, diet and exercise. What do you think is the biggest problem/threatening factor? Beyond the obvious problem of obesity, I see many issues in the system. Of course, no one can have all the answers and we would all like to believe we are right, but some ways of eating just do not seem viable. For example, I predict low carb and high fat diets becoming very popular in the coming year, and yet knowing what I know now that is not a lifestyle I would care to follow again. In addition, although i personally try to eat according to the standards I believe work best for my body and lifestyle, which is a very Peaty way of eating, I do not completely bar any foods from my diet that I want to eat. The way that some people restrict their diets to unreasonable standards (no gluten, sugar, fat, carbs, you name it-at that one point, what is there left to eat?) just does not seem maintainable long term.

I could ramble about this for days-but I would love to hear others' opinions and input!

It seems we have a paradox in the US-half of us care far too little about what we put in our bodies, and the other half care far too much.

johns74

Probably that it's determined mostly by what will the sell most products from the richest companies, rather than the reality of what would heal a person.

In other words, what is taught as 'medicine' is not much more than a marketing campaign of some unscrupulous companies.

I think vegetable oils are clearly the most important factor, biggest danger. People fry their foods with toxins, because that's often the only thing available in stores (as opposed to coconut oil, palm oil, ghee, tallow).

Sheila

The (self inflicted?) pace of modern life. Who has time - or more importantly energy, to think, even if they could?
Advertising of unachievable 'perfection', pressure to conform, lack of critical thinking and discernment - an outworking of rapid pace in itself; other people know best especially if I have to think too hard about something; magic bullets (supplements, drugs, diets); the 'bought and paid for' nature of current science and that judeo-christian idea of 'no pain, no gain' what feels good must be bad and "something that tastes this bad must be good for you" approaches.
Mothers accidentally or intentionally inflicting their weight/appearance/value/worth notions on their daughters and sons, as those notions were inflicted on them. So many young girls run on adrenalin rather than food, keeps them 'thin' apparently.
Others are so focussed on eating 'healthily' that the concept of sufficient calories is entirely forgotten.
It makes for half-starved, half-mad reactivity in all spheres of life, in my experience, personal and otherwise.
And that's before we get on to the systematic degradation of our environment and therefore food chain.
But how could it be otherwise? If we are half-starved and half-mad, short term survival - of this species, at whatever cost, rules.
One of the things I personally noticed after now some years of attention to my diet wrt energy production per Dr Peat's suggestions was that I mellowed, am more reflective, empathetic, more productive, clearer and yes, more humble!
And I really don't like telling people what to do any more. That has been another outworking - how could I really know what's best for another human being?
All that from eating!!
Clearly I can still do the odd rant though.
Sheila

fyo

I see apathy, ignorance, and unwarranted trust.

Some people just don't care about life enough, not even their own living bodies.

Other people have no idea that health is a possibility. They see sickness and simply think its normal, inevitable, so why struggle against the inevitable?

Yet others have far too much faith in the medical system, or generally, faith/trust in authority.

Firstly, people have to care. If they don't care they won't look for answers. I don't really know how to make someone care about life, though. Maybe they need to be healthier, therefore happier, in order to enjoy life. Thus a vicious cycle may be in place.

Secondly, they have to know health is possible. That shouldn't be too hard to discover, because plenty of healthy people can be found among the world, especially if you investigate alternative cultures.

Thirdly, people must discover the lies of authority and come to terms with the conclusions of skepticism and so forth.

After this, hopefully then people may discover a reasonable approach to health and nutrition, with aide of the great internet and some intellect/reasoning.

honeybee

I think the biggest problem is that humans are far removed from the source of their food. I think the average American has very little knowledge or care about food source. All food comes from the cooler or a shelf in a sterile grocery. We buy and consume half rotten meat. its not feasible but if people actually learned about food sources I think we would live in a very different world. But nobody has time to grow their food-we are too busy with more important matters.like posting on forums. :D

lindsay

In line with honeybee, I would say that modern agriculture is a big problem. Conventional agriculture is devastating the food industry in so many ways, I think. Perhaps because I used to be a vegetarian and am an avid animal lover, I've seen too many documentaries about conventional agriculture and I think it is so bad, both for the animals, humans and the environment. I try to only buy my meat and dairy from humane sources, to the best of my ability, which usually means grass-fed and pasture raised products, from dairy to eggs and meat. I also prefer locally sourced products when possible.

Regarding things like gluten and other products, it really comes down to how you tolerate them. I love good bread and don't like to deny myself to eat these things from time to time. But usually, eating them on a daily basis leads to digestive upset. Also, I prefer to eat sour dough bread I've made myself - with organic flour (which is not genetically modified to have a higher gluten content).

BingDing

I would say the obsession about low body fat, a form of oversimplification. Being thin and being healthy are vastly different things. It is only visceral fat that is associated with metabolic syndrome, IMO subcutaneous fat is a very minor aspect of health. My fat seems to be a pretty happy part of my body, FWIW.

Obviously, this leads to calorie restricted diets, usually unbalanced, and chronic malnourishment and metabolic damage.

Blinkyrocket

While there are real problems with PUFA and whatnot, I think one of the biggest problems is the knowledge that certain foods are good/bad for us, and the knowledge of what effects they have on us, so many ppl wondering if they're going over in calories and worrying about sugar and fat, and the ppl that seem not to worry do, cuz everyone does, as soon as the idea is introduced into your mind that your diet could cause irreparable changes in your body, coupled with the idea that we only have one life, even if they act like they don't care and they don't change their diet it's still gonna bother them in the back of their mind. I mean, I've been distressed to find out that stuff I thought didn't bother me or interest me showed up in my dreams, proving me wrong with anger or feelings of happiness and not wanting the dream to end, and I could swear that I didn't actually feel the same feelings while consciously awake.

tara

I think there are many problems, but perhaps the worst is that we tolerate a system in which 100s of millions/a billion or more people are denied even the bare minimum quantity of food required to sustain even the most rudimentary health. Or maybe you could say it is that we allow a profit driven world system to keep worsening this situation.

Onehumin

LACK OF GRATITUDE...
Researchers were interested in discovering the most powerful emotion as they watched a mother with her newborn in her arms. at first they asked others " what do you think the most powerful emotion on earth is ?"
The responses varied which led to hooking up a mother and baby to Bio feedback equipment and putting their theory to the test.
The act of gratitude produced brain wave patterns and heart rate patterns that established a symbiotic rhythm between child and mother.
decades of research followed after this day and it came to light that when the brain and the heart move into this synchronized state a person experiences deepened levels of relaxation, heightened levels of awareness and a great sense of connectedness with the world around them.

For those of you that have experienced the inability to eat because of famine, poverty or for whatever reason, what do you wish for more than anything? We want the basic ability to eat wholesome food don't we?
we don't judge food when we are starving, because we are gracious just to eat.
when we loose this we become mentally objective about what is good or bad, these are mainly mental constructs.
For every bad food you atoll me about or every bad diet you discuss we can all find examples of people who shine through as healthy while eating these so called 'bad things".
im am in an area now where a local celebrated her 127 th birthday. she is Mexcian, and her diet has been beans, rice, corn, and some meat and vegetables mostly cooked. she still needs no glasses and functions.
these foods are all labelled bad yet she will outlive many of us, and out work us.
So how does one live so long on bad food?
i know the area she lives, food is scarce in general and choices are limited but she and those around her are happy and healthy.
they live "Beyond Food" they calibrate food and are very thankful when they eat and share food.
perhaps we have only lost this and live is in the living not the food.

She probably has mutations which will end up being judged by gurus in the same way they judge the food that gets eaten.

DaveFoster

BingDing said:
I would say the obsession about low body fat, a form of oversimplification. Being thin and being healthy are vastly different things. It is only visceral fat that is associated with metabolic syndrome, IMO subcutaneous fat is a very minor aspect of health. My fat seems to be a pretty happy part of my body, FWIW.

Obviously, this leads to calorie restricted diets, usually unbalanced, and chronic malnourishment and metabolic damage.
This.

+ People think a little bit of poison won't hurt. E.g. gluten, PUFA, soy, etc. Everything in moderation is BS. Take out what works, discard the rest.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals