High dose Thiamine worsen symptoms.

mostlylurking

This is the one thing that contradicts Dr Lonsdale's work - he says to supplement B1 AND eat low carb. If B1 is "used up" by carbs, I can't see the harm in eating carbs if you are eating sufficient B1. As you say, without carbs it could just cause a stress response.
I agree with you. I have been high dosing thiamine hcl (1gram, 2Xday) for a little over 2 years. I follow Ray Peat's advice about diet; I consume a quart of OJ plus maybe a quart & a half of milk daily. Peat was not a big fan of consuming a lot of sugar as some on this forum think, but OJ and milk are important good for you foods and have more in them than just sugar. Peat was not a fan of starches, except for well cooked white potatoes which have some protein content.

Peater

I agree with you. I have been high dosing thiamine hcl (1gram, 2Xday) for a little over 2 years. I follow Ray Peat's advice about diet; I consume a quart of OJ plus maybe a quart & a half of milk daily. Peat was not a big fan of consuming a lot of sugar as some on this forum think, but OJ and milk are important good for you foods and have more in them than just sugar. Peat was not a fan of starches, except for well cooked white potatoes which have some protein content.
Thanks for replying and the info on how you do things. What made you start supplementing at those levels? Any issues with other B vits? It must be working for you! Agree about not going overboard with refined carbs.

mostlylurking

Thanks for replying and the info on how you do things. What made you start supplementing at those levels? Any issues with other B vits? It must be working for you! Agree about not going overboard with refined carbs.
I started supplementing with higher doses of thiamine hcl October of 2020. I had taken some Bactrim antibiotic summer of 2020 and it blocked my thiamine function and it kept on being blocked even though I had stopped the Bactrim July of 2020. I got very sick. When you try to research thiamine deficiency online, you think that it is only caused by alcoholism. But there are many pharmaceutical drugs that block thiamine function.

Heavy metals toxicity, especially lead, increases your need for thiamine because the lead has an affinity to the sulfur part of the thiamine molecule so it bonds to it making the thiamine unavailable to the body. I have a long history of lead poisoning and have been chelated with EDTA many times. I think this made me more vulnerable to the effect of the Bactrim antibiotic blocking my thiamine function.

The last time I was tested for lead poisoning was 2014; the level was very high on the lab results. I was prescribed 40 EDTA IV chelation treatments but after 20 of them I got too sick to continue. I've read since then that a physician should always evaluate the patient's thiamine status before chelating them because if a person is thiamine deficient the chelation treatment can be fatal. I just got a raging case of rheumatoid arthritis. I survived and the rheumatoid arthritis is gone away, thanks to Ray Peat's knowledge and my competent 86 year old endocrinologist.

After the Bactrim, fall of 2020, I knew I had lactic acidosis as I hurt all over and I couldn't walk straight. I had packed on 25 pounds in 25 days August of 2020 (via OJ and 1% milk). By October I was in big trouble. I remembered that @haidut had mentioned in a radio show that thiamine could clear lactic acid so I tried around 300-350mg of it with water. All the pain disappeared and my body temperature went up a full degree (to 98.6) within 45 minutes of taking that trial dose. I spent the next 4 months researching thiamine and increasing the dose every couple of weeks. In January of 2021 I found Dr. Costantini's website and decided to try the 1gram 2Xday dose his site recommended for my weight. On the second day at that dose, my digestive tract normalized. I had lived with digestive tract problems for over 20 years, including: poor peristalsis, low stomach acid, SIBO, etc. Suddenly I wanted to eat steak so I did and had no problems swallowing it and digesting it. Prior to that, I could not swallow it; it got stuck in my esophagus. I've since learned that all these digestive tract problems are symptoms of thiamine deficiency.

I do take other supplements. I don't take a b-complex because I can't find one with a low dose of b6. So I take thiamine hcl, riboflavin, niacinamide, biotin, and about 6mg of b6 via a liquid b6. I also take magnesium glycinate, pregnenalone, progesterone, vitamin D. I drink OJ and milk. I take prescription desiccated thyroid medication. I have avoided all PUFA for over 9 years. I'm female, age 73. All things considered, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

mostlylurking

@mostlylurking thanks for sharing your story, so glad it's worked out ok in the end!
Well, I'm not at the "end", yet. But yes, thank you, I'm doing well now. Hoping to stay that way, at least for a while. I've read a lot and I'm aware of my vulnerabilities. Because of my toxin load (the lead, etc.) I have to be careful to avoid toxins because my resilience isn't the best. As people age, everyone acquires persistent toxins (heavy metals, etc.) so more care must be taken to avoid irritants, chemicals, etc. The immune system can only handle so much.

Jonk

Please keep us posted.
I did about 4.5 grams/day first two weeks. Helped tremendously with fatigue, except first few days when I became super sleepy (good feeling). Weirdly enough it felt like it helped with fatigue despite being kind of a non-factor in other problem areas such as nerve pain, sleep and digestion. Now I still take 1-2 grams every other day, when I feel fatigue creeping back in.

Candeias

I started supplementing with higher doses of thiamine hcl October of 2020. I had taken some Bactrim antibiotic summer of 2020 and it blocked my thiamine function and it kept on being blocked even though I had stopped the Bactrim July of 2020. I got very sick. When you try to research thiamine deficiency online, you think that it is only caused by alcoholism. But there are many pharmaceutical drugs that block thiamine function.

Heavy metals toxicity, especially lead, increases your need for thiamine because the lead has an affinity to the sulfur part of the thiamine molecule so it bonds to it making the thiamine unavailable to the body. I have a long history of lead poisoning and have been chelated with EDTA many times. I think this made me more vulnerable to the effect of the Bactrim antibiotic blocking my thiamine function.

The last time I was tested for lead poisoning was 2014; the level was very high on the lab results. I was prescribed 40 EDTA IV chelation treatments but after 20 of them I got too sick to continue. I've read since then that a physician should always evaluate the patient's thiamine status before chelating them because if a person is thiamine deficient the chelation treatment can be fatal. I just got a raging case of rheumatoid arthritis. I survived and the rheumatoid arthritis is gone away, thanks to Ray Peat's knowledge and my competent 86 year old endocrinologist.

After the Bactrim, fall of 2020, I knew I had lactic acidosis as I hurt all over and I couldn't walk straight. I had packed on 25 pounds in 25 days August of 2020 (via OJ and 1% milk). By October I was in big trouble. I remembered that @haidut had mentioned in a radio show that thiamine could clear lactic acid so I tried around 300-350mg of it with water. All the pain disappeared and my body temperature went up a full degree (to 98.6) within 45 minutes of taking that trial dose. I spent the next 4 months researching thiamine and increasing the dose every couple of weeks. In January of 2021 I found Dr. Costantini's website and decided to try the 1gram 2Xday dose his site recommended for my weight. On the second day at that dose, my digestive tract normalized. I had lived with digestive tract problems for over 20 years, including: poor peristalsis, low stomach acid, SIBO, etc. Suddenly I wanted to eat steak so I did and had no problems swallowing it and digesting it. Prior to that, I could not swallow it; it got stuck in my esophagus. I've since learned that all these digestive tract problems are symptoms of thiamine deficiency.

I do take other supplements. I don't take a b-complex because I can't find one with a low dose of b6. So I take thiamine hcl, riboflavin, niacinamide, biotin, and about 6mg of b6 via a liquid b6. I also take magnesium glycinate, pregnenalone, progesterone, vitamin D. I drink OJ and milk. I take prescription desiccated thyroid medication. I have avoided all PUFA for over 9 years. I'm female, age 73. All things considered, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

What type of vitamin B6 do you take, Pyridoxine HCl or the active form?

mad539

Did anyone experience a difference by taking the thiamine hcl dose 2 times a day vs. 4 times a day (spread over the day)?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals