An Open-Label Pilot Study With High-Dose Thiamine in Parkinson's Disease

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The administration of high doses of thiamine to patients with PD was effective in reversing the parkinsonian symptoms; we then suppose that the parenteral thiamine supplementation may play an important role in restoring the survivor neurons and in limiting the disease progression, and that the dysfunction of the thiamine-dependent processes could be a primary pathogenic pathway leading to the death of dopaminergic and non-dopaminergic neurons in PD.

The thiamine-dependent processes are impaired in the cerebral tissues of patients with several neurodegenerative diseases and the activity reduction of the thiamine-dependent enzymes can be readily linked to the symptomatology and the pathology of the disorders. Most neurodegenerative diseases share then similarities and could be responsive to high doses of thiamine (Butterworth, 2003; Jhala and Hazell, 2011; Lu’o’ng and Nguyên, 2012; Costantini et al., 2015; Mkrtchyan et al., 2015).

In conclusion, we found that the long-term treatment with the intramuscular administration of thiamine has led to a significant improvement of motor and non-motor symptoms of the patients with PD; this improvement was stable during time and without side effects. Our report represents an important contribution to PD therapy, although further experience is necessary to exclude the placebo effect and to confirm the present observation, with clinical, cellular, and molecular data. The aim of the future studies will be to investigate the clinical, restorative, and neuroprotective effects of the long-term treatment with thiamine in PD.

mostlylurking

The administration of high doses of thiamine to patients with PD was effective in reversing the parkinsonian symptoms; we then suppose that the parenteral thiamine supplementation may play an important role in restoring the survivor neurons and in limiting the disease progression, and that the dysfunction of the thiamine-dependent processes could be a primary pathogenic pathway leading to the death of dopaminergic and non-dopaminergic neurons in PD.

The thiamine-dependent processes are impaired in the cerebral tissues of patients with several neurodegenerative diseases and the activity reduction of the thiamine-dependent enzymes can be readily linked to the symptomatology and the pathology of the disorders. Most neurodegenerative diseases share then similarities and could be responsive to high doses of thiamine (Butterworth, 2003; Jhala and Hazell, 2011; Lu’o’ng and Nguyên, 2012; Costantini et al., 2015; Mkrtchyan et al., 2015).

In conclusion, we found that the long-term treatment with the intramuscular administration of thiamine has led to a significant improvement of motor and non-motor symptoms of the patients with PD; this improvement was stable during time and without side effects. Our report represents an important contribution to PD therapy, although further experience is necessary to exclude the placebo effect and to confirm the present observation, with clinical, cellular, and molecular data. The aim of the future studies will be to investigate the clinical, restorative, and neuroprotective effects of the long-term treatment with thiamine in PD.

I've been having a horrendous time for the past 6 months, brought on by three rounds of antibiotics (including Bactrim) last summer. I made the connection that I had a thiamine problem when I found this article: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter. I worked my way up to taking 1500 mg of thiamine HCI/day over a couple of months and I did see improvement. But I still had pretty severe gut issues, interpreted as swelling of the intestine. No pain but I had been pooping little squiggles, with only slight improvement over several months of trying to heal my gut. I have a long history of IBS and leaky gut and bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Following Ray Peat's diet suggestions and addressing my hypothyroidism with enough supplementation has been very helpful for years (before the antibiotics fiasco).

There's a strong connection between gut issues like I have lived with and Parkinson's Disease. A few days ago, I stumbled upon Dr Costantini's website here: HDT Therapy The report cited above is authored by him. I decided after studying the site and watching the videos that I would try Dr. Costantini's protocol, explained here: FAQ . I have taken 1 gram of thiamine HCL mixed in plain water around 9:30 am and another around 4:00pm for two days now. I also took 1/4 teaspoon magnesium glycinate about 30 minutes after each dose of thiamine. In only two days, my gut improvement is amazing. I'm better right now than I've been in many years.

I had been eating cooked mushrooms daily for many months (and carrot salad for 6 years) and taking around 3 grams of aspirin throughout the day. I have a lot of pain from inflammation (like rheumatoid arthritis). The aspirin was not working for me anymore. The thiamine and magnesium stop the pain quickly. I think this points to a neurological issue that is being addressed via the high dose thiamine.

Dr. Costantini retired in 2019. I hope that he keeps his website and youtube channel operating so more people can benefit from his knowledge.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I've been having a horrendous time for the past 6 months, brought on by three rounds of antibiotics (including Bactrim) last summer. I made the connection that I had a thiamine problem when I found this article: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter. I worked my way up to taking 1500 mg of thiamine HCI/day over a couple of months and I did see improvement. But I still had pretty severe gut issues, interpreted as swelling of the intestine. No pain but I had been pooping little squiggles, with only slight improvement over several months of trying to heal my gut. I have a long history of IBS and leaky gut and bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Following Ray Peat's diet suggestions and addressing my hypothyroidism with enough supplementation has been very helpful for years (before the antibiotics fiasco).

There's a strong connection between gut issues like I have lived with and Parkinson's Disease. A few days ago, I stumbled upon Dr Costantini's website here: HDT Therapy The report cited above is authored by him. I decided after studying the site and watching the videos that I would try Dr. Costantini's protocol, explained here: FAQ . I have taken 1 gram of thiamine HCL mixed in plain water around 9:30 am and another around 4:00pm for two days now. I also took 1/4 teaspoon magnesium glycinate about 30 minutes after each dose of thiamine. In only two days, my gut improvement is amazing. I'm better right now than I've been in many years.

I had been eating cooked mushrooms daily for many months (and carrot salad for 6 years) and taking around 3 grams of aspirin throughout the day. I have a lot of pain from inflammation (like rheumatoid arthritis). The aspirin was not working for me anymore. The thiamine and magnesium stop the pain quickly. I think this points to a neurological issue that is being addressed via the high dose thiamine.

Dr. Costantini retired in 2019. I hope that he keeps his website and youtube channel operating so more people can benefit from his knowledge.
Fantastic! Please keep us updated.

laleto12

Hi charlie! Thiamine HCL supplementation (100-200 mg a day) gives me this extremely horrible body odor like a chemical waste if I may. It holds on to my clothes too.
Do you know any idea why it could be doing this? Thanks.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hi charlie! Thiamine HCL supplementation (100-200 mg a day) gives me this extremely horrible body odor like a chemical waste if I may. It holds on to my clothes too.
Do you know any idea why it could be doing this? Thanks.
Hi! :) I have seen this mentioned but not exactly sure what it is. IIRC, something to maybe do with Sulpur? I dunno. If you can get ahold of Elliot Overton he might have some insight into it.

mostlylurking

Hi! :) I have seen this mentioned but not exactly sure what it is. IIRC, something to maybe do with Sulpur? I dunno. If you can get ahold of Elliot Overton he might have some insight into it.
I've learned (probably from the Dr. Chandler Marrs video) that ingesting thiamine HCI makes a fabulous mosquito repellent. I'm looking forward to mosquito season to find out it it helps. Maybe it's the sulfur?