Hidden Nasties In Our Food

Dave Clark

I can't understand how 'all' rice has these amounts of arsenic. I get the thing about rice being grown on previously grown and sprayed cotton fields, etc., but all over the world where rice is grown?! They say California is better, and I believe rice grown in some parts of India or wherever, but I find it hard to believe we can't find a rice product that has little to no arsenic. I have been looking for a long time to find a company that has that, with testing to back it up, and of course, organic as well. If someone knows a good organic brown rice product that is tested to have low or no arsenic, please advise.
In the meantime, I make sure I am replete in selenium:

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I can't understand how 'all' rice has these amounts of arsenic. I get the thing about rice being grown on previously grown and sprayed cotton fields, etc., but all over the world where rice is grown?! They say California is better, and I believe rice grown in some parts of India or wherever, but I find it hard to believe we can't find a rice product that has little to no arsenic. I have been looking for a long time to find a company that has that, with testing to back it up, and of course, organic as well. If someone knows a good organic brown rice product that is tested to have low or no arsenic, please advise.
In the meantime, I make sure I am replete in selenium:
Arsenic in apple juice is really high too. My father told me, when I was a child, that the seeds in apples are high in arsenic, so it makes sense that pressing the whole apples with the seeds would create a toxic juice, but I see there is more to it, than I even thought…

“…nearly decade-long sampling of apple juice found a mean arsenic level of 4.6 ppb, the FDA noted in its report. But some samples had arsenic levels as high as 44 ppb. Arsenic in apple juice poses a higher risk to children because they drink more of the liquid relative to their body weight than adults.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Much of the current concern about the dangers of fructose is focussed on the cornstarch-derived high fructose corn syrup, HFCS. Many studies assume that its composition is nearly all fructose and glucose. However, Wahjudi, et al. (2010) analyzed samples of it before and after hydrolyzing it in acid, to break down other carbohydrates present in it. They found that the carbohydrate content was several times higher than the listed values. "The underestimation of carbohydrate content in beverages may be a contributing factor in the development of obesity in children," and it's especially interesting that so much of it is present in the form of starch-like materials.”
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“So, when you're consuming MSG, the level of glutamate in the blood can rise as high as 20-fold. You get very high glutamate levels in the blood after eating a meal containing MSG. You're stimulating all of the glutamate receptors. That's why some people get explosive diarrhea, because it stimulates the receptors in the esophagus and small bowel. Others may develop irritable bowel, or if they have irritable bowel, it makes it a lot worse. If they have reflux, it makes that a lot worse. The thing about the cardiac conduction system glutamate receptors is this may explain the rise in sudden cardiac death.

What you see in almost all these cases is low magnesium. When the magnesium level is low, the glutamate receptors become hypersensitive, and so people -- athletes in particular, if they are not supplementing with magnesium -- are prone to sudden cardiac death, because of the glutamate receptors. If they eat a meal or something that contains glutamate or drink a diet cola before practice, it will produce such intense cardiac irritability, they'll die of sudden cardiac death. We know the sudden cardiac death is due to two things: Most commonly arrhythmia and cardio artery spasm. Both of which can be produced by glutamate.

Mike: Of course, that death certificate doesn't say they died from MSG.

Dr. Blaylock: No, and it's not going to, because the admitting physician doesn't know the first thing about any of this research. They've never heard of it. In fact, most cardiologists I've spoken with have never heard of this. They didn't know there were glutamate receptors throughout the electrical conduction system and in the heart muscle itself. You have a million patients in this country with arrhythmias that are life-threatening, and no one's telling them to avoid MSG and aspartame, yet it's a major source of cardiac irritability.

Mike: It's absolutely astounding. Now, didn't baby food manufacturers voluntarily remove this ingredient in the '70s?

Dr. Blaylock: They said they would, but they didn't. What they did is take out pure MSG and substitute it with hydrolyzed protein and caseinate. If you look at most toddler foods, they all have caseinate hydrolyzed protein broth, a significant source of glutamate.

Mike: We're destroying the nervous systems of these babies.

Dr. Blaylock: Exactly. Now, one of the things we're hearing a lot about is childhood obesity. One early observation with exitotoxicity is it makes animals grossly obese.

Mike: If they banned MSG, the drug companies would lose billions. Think about how much money they make treating all of these symptoms.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Most store-bought types of orange juice aren’t made by simply squeezing fresh-picked oranges and pouring the juice into bottles or cartons.

Rather, they’re produced through a multi-step, rigorously controlled process, and the juice can be stored in large tanks for up to a year before packaging.

First, oranges are washed and squeezed by a machine. Pulp and oils are removed. The juice is heat-pasteurized to inactivate enzymes and kill microbes that could otherwise cause deterioration and spoilage (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source).

Next, some of the oxygen is removed, which helps reduce oxidative damage to vitamin Cduring storage. Juice to be stored as frozen concentrate is evaporated to remove most of the water (4).

Unfortunately, these processes also remove compounds that provide aroma and flavor. Some of them are later added back to the juice from carefully blended flavor packs (5).

Finally, before packaging, juice from oranges harvested at different times may be mixed to help minimize variations in quality. Pulp, which undergoes further processing after extraction, is added back to some juices (1Trusted Source).”

“Orange juice and whole oranges are nutritionally similar, but there are some important differences.

Most notably, compared to a whole orange, a serving of orange juice has significantly less fiber and about twice the calories and carbs — which are mostly fruit sugar.”
“For example, in one study, store-bought orange juice had 15% less vitamin C and 27% less folate than home-squeezed orange juice (4). Though not listed on nutrition labels, oranges and orange juice are also rich in flavonoids and other beneficial plant compounds.

Though not listed on nutrition labels, oranges and orange juice are also rich in flavonoids and other beneficial plant compounds. Some of these are reduced during orange juice processing and storage (1Trusted Source, 4, 11Trusted Source).

“What’s more, one study found that — compared to unprocessed orange juice — pasteurized orange juice had 26% less antioxidant activity immediately after heat processing and 67% less antioxidant activity after about a month in storage.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Piperline is added to some supplements, and black pepper is common in food cupboards / with dinners. Apparently can be 3% piperine - 5% piperine in black pepper but varies a lot

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ular_Toxicity_of_Piperine_on_Male_Albino_Rats

Feeding ~100mg-150mg piperine human equivalent to rats is toxic to testicles. lowers testosterone (+ progesterone) & leydig cell function“

Dave Clark

“Piperline is added to some supplements, and black pepper is common in food cupboards / with dinners. Apparently can be 3% piperine - 5% piperine in black pepper but varies a lot

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ular_Toxicity_of_Piperine_on_Male_Albino_Rats

Feeding ~100mg-150mg piperine human equivalent to rats is toxic to testicles. lowers testosterone (+ progesterone) & leydig cell function“

Wondering though just how much piperine is in the amount of pepper used to flavor food? Pepper had been used for ions in ayurvedic healing, etc., so maybe it is just this trend to concentrate the piperine into supplements that is the problem. Three or five % of a couple turns of a pepper grinder doesn't add up to much piperine. I am not going to consume much of it, but it is still in my culinary arsenal for flavor.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wondering though just how much piperine is in the amount of pepper used to flavor food? Pepper had been used for ions in ayurvedic healing, etc., so maybe it is just this trend to concentrate the piperine into supplements that is the problem. Three or five % of a couple turns of a pepper grinder doesn't add up to much piperine. I am not going to consume much of it, but it is still in my culinary arsenal for flavor.
My blood type “O” is suppose to avoid black, and Ray Peat suggested the same. I love black pepper, but switched to cayenne. With that being said black pepper as a food verses used as a medicine is two different things. As a medicine, like any herb, or vitamin for that matter, the benefits of it sometimes outweighs the risk elements.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Just wanted to everyone know that I am creating my own site where all my “Peaty” recipes will be well organized. I hope to see you there when I get some content in. Leave me a message at the email address below so I can put you on my mailing list and contact you when it is ready to go!

My website is: www.raymendeat.com

Ray_Mend_Eat

Email me at [email protected]

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Peatress posted part of an interview with Patrick Timpone, and I am now posting just this part below, to point out that commercial orange juice is not the same as the juice from good ripe oranges. If I did not have access to good ripe oranges, then I would not have orange juice ever again, and you know what I would be just as healthy with some other colorful ripe fruit. If one is experiencing poor health, maybe blame the commercial orange juice and not the sweet orange?…

“PT: So you like orange juice?

RP: Oh yeah, when good stuff is available. It should be thoroughly ripened. The commercial stuff they are used to selling unripe oranges and so if they accidentally get ripe oranges they add acetic acid to it. For example the concentrated or canned varieties very often have acid added but the acid etches the enamel off your teeth so ripe oranges are safer in every way.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I don’t know that I would call this “nasties”, but labels are not real accurate. The label on this juice says zero fiber yet I could tell by the thickness something was amiss. So I mixed my juice with half water and put it through a strainer and pictured below is what I kept myself from ingesting. This is one of my ways of getting my, blood clotting, vitamin K1, and other valuable vitamins and minerals as well…

1706646850039.jpeg

1706646925868.jpeg

1706647021689.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“BPA is a well-known endocrine disruptor that can have a multitude of side effects including inhibiting testosterone production, tanking libido and causing ED. It causes ED by dropping testosterone, reducing smooth muscle cells (SMC), reducing the SMC to collagen ratio and causing vascular leakage.

BPA detox in the liver is vitamin A dependent. The process of detoxing creates oxidative stress, so it's important to eat a diet rich in antioxidants. I prefer animal-based anti-oxidants as they protect tissue against damage. Moral of the story, liver, eggs, oysters, and dairy should be great for detoxing BPA.” Forum member Hans

David PS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In late 2012 we released our original report on arsenic in rice, in which we found measurable levels in almost all of the 60 rice varieties and rice products we tested.
Our most recent testing and analysis gave us some new information on the risk of arsenic exposure in infants and children through rice cereal and other rice products. We looked at data released by the Food and Drug Administration in 2013 on the inorganic arsenic content of 656 processed rice-containing products. We found that rice cereal and rice pasta can have much more inorganic arsenic—a carcinogen—than our 2012 data showed. According to the results of our new tests, one serving of either could put kids over the maximum amount of rice we recommend they should have in a week. Rice cakes supply close to a child's weekly limit in one serving. Rice drinks can also be high in arsenic, and children younger than 5 shouldn't drink them instead of milk. (Learn the new rice rules about weekly servings.)”

Dave Clark

Silicon is noted to chelate aluminum in the body, and it looks like silicon can prevent the uptake of arsenic in rice plants. I just wonder if silicon can do the same in our body. Never the less, it looks like they are getting close to solving the arsenic problem with rice: https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2113071118
There isn't much data on it, but some suggest that sprouting of rice lowers the arsenic levels: Green Processing, Germinating and Wet Milling Brown Rice (Oryza sativa) for Beverages: Physicochemical Effects.
This is what I use, grown in California and sprouted: Amazon.com

Morten

Forum Supporter
“Below I outline cereal and snack products previously tested by the EWG, and other independent companies. The following products exceeded that limit in one or both samples tested, with starred products exceeding 700 ppb, the “safe limit” set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):

Crackers
• Ritz Crackers
• Back to Nature Crispy Cheddar Crackers

Granola
• Back to Nature Classic Granola
• Quaker Simply Granola Oats, Honey, Raisins & Almonds
• Quaker Simply Granola Oats, Honey & Almonds*
• Nature Valley Granola Protein Oats ’n Honey

Instant Oats
• Giant Instant Oatmeal, Original Flavor*
• Quaker Dinosaur Eggs, Brown Sugar, Instant Oatmeal*
• Quaker Instant Oatmeal Apples & Cinnamon
• Quaker Real Medleys Super Grains Banana Walnut
• Great Value Original Instant Oatmeal
• Umpqua Oats, Maple Pecan
• Market Pantry Instant Oatmeal, Strawberries & Cream

Oat Breakfast Cereal
• Cheerios Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal
• Lucky Charms
• Barbara’s Multigrain Spoonfuls, Original, Cereal
• Kellogg’s Cracklin’ Oat Bran oat cereal
• Quaker Oatmeal Squares Brown Sugar*
• Quaker Oatmeal Square Honey Nut*
• Apple Cinnamon Cheerios
• Very Berry Cheerios*
• Chocolate Cheerios*
• Frosted Cheerios*
• Fruity Cheerios
• Honey Nut Cheerios*
• Cheerios Oat Crunch Cinnamon*

Overnight Oats
• Quaker Overnight Oats Raisin Walnut & Honey Heaven*
• Quaker Overnight Oats Unsweetened with Chia Seeds*

Snacks, Snack Bars and Cookies
• Doritos: Cool Ranch
• Fritos (Origina) (100% Whole Grain)
• Kashi Soft-Baked Cookies, Oatmeal Dark Chocolate
• Lays: Kettle Cooked Original
• Lucy’s Oatmeal Cookies Gluten Free
• Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars, Oats ’n Honey
• Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies
• Oreo Original
• Oreo Double Stuf Golden Sandwich Cookies
• Quaker Chewy S’mores
• Quaker Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
• Quaker Breakfast Squares Soft Baked Bars Peanut Butter*
• Quaker Breakfast Flats Crispy Snack Bars Cranberry Almond*
• Stacy’s Simply Naked Pita Chips (Frito-Lay)*

Whole Oats
• Quaker Steel Cut Oats
• Quaker Old Fashioned Oats*
• Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats

Other products tested for glyphosate include orange juice, beer and wine, as well as personal hygiene products, ice cream (source) and clothing (source). You can read the complete listing of glyphosate in food in my round-up article here (pardon the pun?).”
Do you have a "safe" pufa free recipe for Granola? Like with Oats, coconut, raisins, macadamia.....Is there any concerns regarding phytic acid in the oat, or will it clear once exposed to heat?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Do you have a "safe" pufa free recipe for Granola? Like with Oats, coconut, raisins, macadamia.....Is there any concerns regarding phytic acid in the oat, or will it clear once exposed to heat?
I buy sprouted oats, which takes care of the phytic acid. I will have to look for the granola bar recipe that I used. I think I will make some of them! Thanks for the reminder!…

“Sprouted grains are easy on the tummy because they can be easier to digest. Also, soaking and sprouting deactivates phytic acid, a compound that prevents minerals like calcium and iron from being absorbed in the digestive tract. AKA: sprouting can make it much easier for the body to absorb nutrients.”

Morten

Forum Supporter
I buy sprouted oats, which takes care of the phytic acid. I will have to look for the granola bar recipe that I used. I think I will make some of them! Thanks for the reminder!…

“Sprouted grains are easy on the tummy because they can be easier to digest. Also, soaking and sprouting deactivates phytic acid, a compound that prevents minerals like calcium and iron from being absorbed in the digestive tract. AKA: sprouting can make it much easier for the body to absorb nutrients.”

🤗🤗
So I could buy whole oats, sprout them and them heat them for the granola....

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Because some studies have found these emerging mycotoxins in some cereals and nuts that are used to make plant milks, researchers sought to measure BEA and ENN levels in various plant milks. They looked at 16 soymilk, 8 rice milk, and 8 oat milk samples purchased from local markets in Granada, Spain. Brand names weren’t disclosed. Emerging mycotoxins were detected in 2 soy, 0 rice, and 6 oat milk samples.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals