INGREDIENTS CHECKER - Help Please!

As much as I do know, I am realizing how very much I don't know. The "Animal Farm" pigs are getting trickier by the day, with nice words masking poison. So this thread is a place to get advice from those who know things we don't know, about what is in our products. Post a pic of your product ingredients and we can collectively decide what the "cons" are, literally.

"Years ago, I noticed that Oregon was one of the few states that still had real whipping cream and cottage cheese without additives, so I have been trustingly using cream in my coffee every day. Last week, I noticed that my cream listed carrageenan in its ingredients. Over the years, I have avoided carrageenan-containing foods such as apple cider, hot dogs, most ice creams and prepared sauces and jellies, because they caused me to have serious allergic symptoms. Carrageenan has been found to cause colitis and anaphylaxis in humans, but it is often present in baby “formulas” and a wide range of milk products, with the result that many people have come to believe that it was the milk-product that was responsible for their allergic symptoms. Because the regulators claim that it is a safe natural substance, it is very likely that it sometimes appears in foods that don’t list it on the label, for example when it is part of another ingredient." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I REALLY like this snack, and it looks to be healthier than all other snacks. The starch seems low according to the carb amount. The rice brand oil isn't overly unsaturated according to the low fat number. Would Ray Peat approve it as an occasion splurge if I took a baby aspirin afterward?

Attachments

• 20211006_143703.jpg
    20211006_143703.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 66

Lollipop2

Unfortunately, I did this like 6 years ago and now don’t have anything that isn’t perfectly safe in my house. I can’t add to the thread but like the idea of it.

supercoolguy

Isnt Seaweed a Source of carrageenan & Iodine.
It would be nice to see RBO Lower on the Ingredient List.
Ultimately its only 4g tho.

jasieltego

I would only do snacks that have butter/ghee, tallow, duck fat, cacao butter, coconut oil and last choice olive oil.

Rice bran has high ratio omega 6 to 3.
Too much inflammation. I could be wrong

mostlylurking

I would only do snacks that have butter/ghee, tallow, duck fat, cacao butter, coconut oil and last choice olive oil.

duck fat???? Why do you like duck fat?

Duck fat contains 35.7% saturates, 50.5% monounsaturates (high in linoleic acid) and 13.7% polyunsaturated fats.(which contains Omega-6 and Omega-3 essential oils). source: Duck fat compared to butter and olive oil

Last edited:

mostlylurking

I REALLY like this snack, and it looks to be healthier than all other snacks. The starch seems low according to the carb amount. The rice brand oil isn't overly unsaturated according to the low fat number. Would Ray Peat approve it as an occasion splurge if I took a baby aspirin afterward?
I see 1/2 package (one serving) has 2 grams of rice bran oil. There's no saturated fat.

"The major fatty acids in rice bran oil are oleic acid, linoleic acid, and palmitic acids (typically, 42%, 32%, and 20%, respectively)." from here: Rice Bran Oil - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics The 32% linoleic acid in rice bran oil is problematic.

Jon2547

Maybe slice some cucumbers and sprinkle sea salt on them? That is what I like to do so I assume everyone else would to.

TradClare

You could toast some nori sheets and use your own coconut oil and salt. Not only better but way way cheaper if you buy packs of 50 or 100 nori sheets. When I crave them, I eat 1-2 right from the package, or roll around shrimp and rice or whatever. No oil required to get that flavor

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I see 1/2 package (one serving) has 2 grams of rice bran oil. There's no saturated fat.

"The major fatty acids in rice bran oil are oleic acid, linoleic acid, and palmitic acids (typically, 42%, 32%, and 20%, respectively)." from here: Rice Bran Oil - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics The 32% linoleic acid in rice bran oil is problematic.

Thank you for that info. I was thinking that it being more like wheat germ oil, which has been praised on the forum, that it wouldn't be as bad as seed and nut oils. Being I cannot find a worthy snack, is the linoleic acid that detrimental in that low amount on a rare occasion?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You could toast some nori sheets and use your own coconut oil and salt. Not only better but way way cheaper if you buy packs of 50 or 100 nori sheets. When I crave them, I eat 1-2 right from the package, or roll around shrimp and rice or whatever. No oil required to get that flavor

I have nori sheets too and use them for sushi things, but it is the crunch and flavor of these I like. Yesterday I did cold poached shrimp with wasabi and sprinkle on a little nori salt blend, which satisfies that sushi craving. Thanks for the ideas!

mostlylurking

Thank you for that info. I was thinking that it being more like wheat germ oil, which has been praised on the forum, that it wouldn't be as bad as seed and nut oils. Being I cannot find a worthy snack, is the linoleic acid that detrimental in that low amount on a rare occasion?
Wheat germ oil is toxic. Wheat is seeds. Oil from wheat is seed oil. Linoleic acid is carcinogenic. If you choose to eat this, I think it is important to do it with your eyes wide open. Don't kid yourself.

The reason why wheat germ and also wheat germ oil is supposed to be refrigerated is to keep it from going rancid. It goes rancid very easily because of the polyunsaturated fatty acids in it. When you consume it, the environment inside you is not refrigerated which makes it go rancid inside you.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wheat germ oil is toxic. Wheat is seeds. Oil from wheat is seed oil. Linoleic acid is carcinogenic. If you choose to eat this, I think it is important to do it with your eyes wide open. Don't kid yourself.

The reason why wheat germ and also wheat germ oil is supposed to be refrigerated is to keep it from going rancid. It goes rancid very easily because of the polyunsaturated fatty acids in it. When you consume it, the environment inside you is not refrigerated which makes it go rancid inside you.

Yeah I have no idea why so many people on this forum are touting it and I certainly wasn't going to have some, hence why I made this thread. I didn't want to make a whole post on one question. Is the rice bran oil as bad as the wheat germ oil?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Isnt Seaweed a Source of carrageenan & Iodine.
It would be nice to see RBO Lower on the Ingredient List.
Ultimately its only 4g tho.

I think seaweed is healthy being natural, isn't it? Carrigeanan is a derivative of seaweed.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

What snacks have you found with those oils?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Maybe slice some cucumbers and sprinkle sea salt on them? That is what I like to do so I assume everyone else would to.

I like cucumber slices, but I was more looking to stock up on some healthy shelf stable snacks. My Chomperz so far is the only thing that is low in starch carbs and fats. I like the Boulder coconut oil potato chips, but then I have to go high starch and pesticides having them, because they are not organic.

TradClare

banana chips are fried in coconut oil (aldi), chocolate chips, dried fruits, butter croissants if you do flour, candied ginger. It is harder to find savory snacks, isn't it? One of these days i am going to make masa tortillas and then bake them with coconut oil into chips. If we had to go to this much trouble every time we wanted a good snack I guess we would eat more simply haha

TradClare

I just remembered I make big batches of popcorn with coconut oil and salt and it keeps nicely for a few days but it's starchy of course

OP
Rinse & rePeat
banana chips are fried in coconut oil (aldi), chocolate chips, dried fruits, butter croissants if you do flour, candied ginger. It is harder to find savory snacks, isn't it? One of these days i am going to make masa tortillas and then bake them with coconut oil into chips. If we had to go to this much trouble every time we wanted a good snack I guess we would eat more simply haha

Yeah I have never been a sweet lover so savory late at night is what I want, but too much protein at night messes with my sleep.

mostlylurking

Yeah I have no idea why so many people on this forum are touting it and I certainly wasn't going to have some, hence why I made this thread. I didn't want to make a whole post on one question. Is the rice bran oil as bad as the wheat germ oil?
It is oil derived from seeds. This equals seed oil. Seed oil is PUFA. I have no idea which of these two is worse than the other one.

There are a lot of opinions posted on this forum that have nothing to do with Ray Peat's knowledge, posted by people who have never bothered to read Ray Peat's articles. It is dangerous to follow advice found here without doing your own research.

These two search engines make research for Ray Peat's knowledge easy:
for written articles: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless use the search cell on the left.
for audio interviews: Bioenergetic Search

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals