Hidden Nasties In Our Food

Birdie

Isn't Ray Peat all about pointing out all the toxins and what all else is wrong with our food chain, medical and political system? I think it is sad to hear people's stories on this forum, of them trusting doctors and ruining their health doing so, or buying things, like suppliments or in this case "backyard eggs", thinking they think are doing healthy things and then finding out they are not. I know ignorance is bliss, but I would want to know.
Yes, when we know what's real, then we can adjust better than if we didn't. We won't adjust perfectly and Ray never says we can.

I have an egg story. We had a dear friend who brought us eggs. Her son took over but she still trotted them over to our house. We began to notice a fish smell to the eggs. (Feeding the hens fish oil for better nutrition.) Sadly, we had to discontinue them.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes, when we know what's real, then we can adjust better than if we didn't. We won't adjust perfectly and Ray never says we can.

I have an egg story. We had a dear friend who brought us eggs. Her son took over but she still trotted them over to our house. We began to notice a fish smell to the eggs. (Feeding the hens fish oil for better nutrition.) Sadly, we had to discontinue them.

Yuk! I had a friend bring me some too from her coop and couldn't help, but notice how thin and fragile the shells were. I ate them anyway :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This Thomas E. Levy's video is on how toxic iron "fortification" or "enriched" products are to the body. At about the 29 minute mark he stresses that the added iron in foods magnifies and makes worse ANY disease or problem in your body....

View: https://youtu.be/NUjmwTwNCAI

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Other women are told to reduce their protein consumption, or to take fluoride or whatever drug has been most recently promoted. A protein deficiency is a clear cause of osteoporosis, and bone density corresponds to the amount of protein consumed. Milk protein, especially, protects against osteoporosis, independently of milk’s other important nutrients. Too much fluoride clearly increases the risk of bone fractures,[26] and the side effects of other drugs haven’t been properly studied in humans, while they often have dangerous effects in animals. -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"We found that three daily servings of the ready-to-drink liquid EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake provides an average of 16.9 micrograms (µg) of arsenic, exceeding the proposed USP limit of 15 µg per day, and an average of 5.1 µg of cadmium, which is just above the USP limit of 5 µg per day. Concentrations in most products were relatively low, but when taking into account the large serving size suggested, the number of micrograms per day for a few of the products was high compared with most others tested.

The samples of Muscle Milk Chocolate powder we tested contained all four heavy metals, and levels of three metals in the product were among the highest of all in our tests. Average cadmium levels of 5.6 µg in three daily servings slightly exceeded the USP limit of 5 µg per day, and the average lead level of 13.5 µg also topped the USP limit of 10 µg per day. The average arsenic level of 12.2 µg was approaching the USP limit of 15 µg per day, and the average for mercury was 0.7 µg, well below the USP's 15 µg-per-day limit. Three daily servings of Muscle Milk Vanilla Crème contained 12.2 µg of lead, exceeding lead limits, and 11.2 µg of arsenic. A fourth product, Muscle Milk Nutritional Shake Chocolate (liquid), provided an average of 14.3 µg of arsenic per day from three servings, approaching the proposed USP limit.

Cadmium raises special concern because it accumulates in and can damage the kidneys, the same organs that can be damaged by excessive protein consumption. And it can take 20 years for the body to eliminate even half the cadmium absorbed today."

K

Kayaker

"We found that three daily servings of the ready-to-drink liquid EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake provides an average of 16.9 micrograms (µg) of arsenic, exceeding the proposed USP limit of 15 µg per day, and an average of 5.1 µg of cadmium, which is just above the USP limit of 5 µg per day. Concentrations in most products were relatively low, but when taking into account the large serving size suggested, the number of micrograms per day for a few of the products was high compared with most others tested.

The samples of Muscle Milk Chocolate powder we tested contained all four heavy metals, and levels of three metals in the product were among the highest of all in our tests. Average cadmium levels of 5.6 µg in three daily servings slightly exceeded the USP limit of 5 µg per day, and the average lead level of 13.5 µg also topped the USP limit of 10 µg per day. The average arsenic level of 12.2 µg was approaching the USP limit of 15 µg per day, and the average for mercury was 0.7 µg, well below the USP's 15 µg-per-day limit. Three daily servings of Muscle Milk Vanilla Crème contained 12.2 µg of lead, exceeding lead limits, and 11.2 µg of arsenic. A fourth product, Muscle Milk Nutritional Shake Chocolate (liquid), provided an average of 14.3 µg of arsenic per day from three servings, approaching the proposed USP limit.

Cadmium raises special concern because it accumulates in and can damage the kidneys, the same organs that can be damaged by excessive protein consumption. And it can take 20 years for the body to eliminate even half the cadmium absorbed today."

Much of chocolate and cacao has significant levels of cadmium. The tannins in it reduce absorption of heavy metals, which makes it not as bad as they say it is.

I tried a low-cadmium organic cacao with milk, but I felt a sensation in my stomach. I'm unsure to what specifically. It seems that with cacao, choosing a brand that tests for mycotoxins is more important.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Mechanisms and Essentiality: When something is unavoidable, in ordinary life, talking about "essentiality," or the minimum amount required for life or for optimal health, is more important as an exploration into the nature of our life than as a practical health issue. For example, how much oxygen, how many germs (of what kinds), how many cosmic rays (of what kinds), would produce the nicest human beings? The fact that we have adapted to something---oxygen at sea level, microbes, or vegetable fats, for example--doesn't mean that we are normally exposed to it in ideal amounts." -Ray Peat

Dave_Fit

I'm working on getting rid of all fortified foods. Particularly want to get rid of the iron. I was getting whole raw milk this summer from a farmers market, but was out of town in Nov when the market closes for the season and don't have the ladies phone or info to contact about getting the raw milk. She was the only one willing to sell any and I had to always follow her to her Van to get my couple gallons. That raw milk was amazing! The closer I can get to the source the better, buying a quarter cow from a farmer I know, pastured farm fresh eggs. Now sadly after I found out most commercial OJ is kept in oxygen free storage for up to a year and flavor packets are added to it because storing it that way causes it to loose its flavor, I guess I'm going to have to start squeezing my own. I think frozen may be safe but I don't know that for sure. Virtually everything I eat now is home cooked, but finding good sources for everything is a challenge.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Mycotoxins are toxic chemical products that are produced from molds that grow on agricultural crops. In general, high moisture content, high relative humidity, and warm temperatures enhance mold growth and toxin production. Mycotoxins are natural and inevitable. No bean or crop is without some percentage of them but finding the companies that actively test for mycotoxin content is best. Mycotoxins are relatively harmless to the body on a micro-level. It is only when we consume them on a daily basis that they become a problem. That means daily ingestion of poor ‘Starbucks’ quality coffee could have long-term effects on your brain health and increase free radicals which leads to radical premature aging!"

Top nuts and grains containing the most fungus and mycotoxins:​

• Cashews
  • Peanuts
  • Corn
  • Wheat
  • Stored grains like wheat, rye, barley, and oats
  • Nut and seed butter (store-bought):

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Not long ago, breast feeding was socially unacceptable in the United States, and several manufacturers were teaching the world’s poorest women to use their baby-food formulas even when there was no clean water for its preparation. Industrialists have campaigned to convince the public that their by-products, from cotton-seed oil to shrimp shells, are “health foods.” In several parts of the world, desperately poor people sometimes eat clay, and even clay has been promoted as a health food. Almost anything becomes “food,” when people are under economic and social pressure. If these things aren’t acutely toxic, they can become part of our “normal” diet." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow this is quite the statement...

"Food testing reveals farmed salmon is one of the most toxic foods in the world, having more in common with junk food than health food."

CheckThat

"Not long ago, breast feeding was socially unacceptable in the United States, and several manufacturers were teaching the world’s poorest women to use their baby-food formulas even when there was no clean water for its preparation. Industrialists have campaigned to convince the public that their by-products, from cotton-seed oil to shrimp shells, are “health foods.” In several parts of the world, desperately poor people sometimes eat clay, and even clay has been promoted as a health food. Almost anything becomes “food,” when people are under economic and social pressure. If these things aren’t acutely toxic, they can become part of our “normal” diet." -Ray Peat
When my first was born in 1989, a nurse shared with me that only 2 out of 11 mothers (myself and one other mama) were breastfeeding on the maternity ward. All others chose to formula feed. I remember receiving a goodie bag upon discharge with ready made bottles of formula and coupons for free cans "to get me and baby started".

OP
Rinse & rePeat
When my first was born in 1989, a nurse shared with me that only 2 out of 11 mothers (myself and one other mama) were breastfeeding on the maternity ward. All others chose to formula feed. I remember receiving a goodie bag upon discharge with ready made bottles of formula and coupons for free cans "to get me and baby started".
Good for you AND your baby! Those numbers are surprising though. I breast fed both of mine too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals