Help With Healing After 1 Year Of Carnivore

ExCarniv

Hi

After lurking some months here I decided to make a post looking for some help.

I was on the Carnivore diet for a year, first 5-6 months were great, lost a ton of weight, felt energized, the usual.

But then started to feel like crap, insomnia, extremely cold hands and feet, skin looks like aged too fast etc.

Last two months I started to experiment with some concepts of the Peat work, like adding fruits and juices, carrot salad, reduced the red meat and increased dairy and broths, started to take Magnesium (which helped a lot) some things are better now.

But my biggest issue is I can't recover my normal sleep, last month on Carnivore I couldn't sleep more than 1 straight hour, now i can sleep in blocks of two and half hours, but still no more than 5 in total, 6 on best days, I used to sleep like 7-8 hours straight before Carnivore.

Any suggestion to keep on healing and recover my sleep?

Thanks.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi

I was on the Carnivore diet for a year, first 5-6 months were great, lost a ton of weight, felt energized, the usual.

But then started to feel like crap, insomnia, extremely cold hands and feet, skin looks like aged too fast etc.

Last two months I started to experiment with some concepts of the Peat work, like adding fruits and juices, carrot salad, reduced the red meat and increased dairy and broths, started to take Magnesium (which helped a lot) some things are better now.

But my biggest issue is I can't recover my normal sleep, last month on Carnivore I couldn't sleep more than 1 straight hour, now i can sleep in blocks of two and half hours, but still no more than 5 in total, 6 on best days, I used to sleep like 7-8 hours straight before Carnivore.

Thanks.
Having some honey or another carb/sugary snack before bedtime helped me years ago when I was transitioning from paleo. A snack with a good balance of protein-carbs and a little fat is another option that might help as well.

redsun

Hi

Thanks.

I second the eating before bed. Helps bring stress hormones down. Salt(lowers adrenaline and serotonin) and sugar and some kind of protein.

Taking P5P, zinc, glycine, along with the magnesium will all lower cortisol and catecholamines like noradrenaline and adrenaline while simultaneously increasing GABA, the main inhibitory transmitter which will help sleep. P5P and zinc are required cofactors to make GABA from glutamate and have their own potent stress lowering effects, while glycine potently lowers cortisol.

OP
E

ExCarniv

Having some honey or another carb/sugary snack before bedtime helped me years ago when I was transitioning from paleo. A snack with a good balance of protein-carbs and a little fat is another option that might help as well.

Thanks, I tried a bit of icecream the couple last days before bed and got a bit more restful nights.

OP
E

ExCarniv

I second the eating before bed. Helps bring stress hormones down. Salt(lowers adrenaline and serotonin) and sugar and some kind of protein.

Taking P5P, zinc, glycine, along with the magnesium will all lower cortisol and catecholamines like noradrenaline and adrenaline while simultaneously increasing GABA, the main inhibitory transmitter which will help sleep. P5P and zinc are required cofactors to make GABA from glutamate and have their own potent stress lowering effects, while glycine potently lowers cortisol.

I ordered Glycine, will try 3g before bed with some sugars, seems like a good option.

Thanks

Marcine

Carni 1.5 yrs trashed me and my liver. I would give blood every 3 months. My copper is dysregulated so add oysters/shellfish as recommended.
Eat when you wake up, before coffee. Read Kate Deerings book. Do you check your basal temp/pulse? This forum can be confusing and the fb page rp inspired is only slightly more sane. Peat is more than nutrition, like the real world. Check your emotional traumas. Are you eating out? Takes yrs to remove pufas even before carnivore you were getting too many. Moderate exercise. Be grateful. Especially for failing early with carnivore

Vinny

To me is obvious the first thing to try is to drastically reduce the meat, and see if you get better sleep.
Your post gives me an idea why I,ve been sleeping "in blocks" for years and nothing worked so far to improve it. Perhaps I eat too much meat too?

Marcine

To me is obvious the first thing to try is to drastically reduce the meat, and see if you get better sleep.
Your post gives me an idea why I,ve been sleeping "in blocks" for years and nothing worked so far to improve it. Perhaps I eat too much meat too?
Give some blood and see if that helps.

Vinny

Marcine

Why would that help my sleep, Marcine? What,s the benefit?
Maybe not help sleep but depletes iron. Do you use magnesium at night? Eat 200 gr carbs before bed? Get am sunlight in your eyes for 3-15 min? That begins your melanin cycle.

redsun

Why would that help my sleep, Marcine? What,s the benefit?
Vinny my man, you gotta get on that lowering catecholamines train. Magnesium for increasting COMT which breaks down neurotransmitters, Riboflavin to increase MAO-A which breaks down mostly serotonin and noradrenaline.

"Riboflavin is a cofactor of the enzyme MAO-A, which increases catecholamine degradation such as serotonin and noradrenaline, thus keeping catecholamine levels in balance. MAO-A predominantly increases serotonin uptake, so activating it will be great for lowering serotonin and increasing the dopamine:serotonin ratio."

4 awesome benefits of Vitamin B2. #4 is the deactivation of estrogen

B6 reduces adrenaline, noradrenaline, cortisol, estrogen. Zinc and B6 are cofactors for GABA. Glycine, Taurine, are gaba agonists(best taken at night for sleep). Salt(Sodium) before bed lowers noradrenaline and adrenaline and is a SERT cofactor(breaks down serotonin).

Vinny

Vinny my man, you gotta get on that lowering catecholamines train. Magnesium for increasting COMT which breaks down neurotransmitters, Riboflavin to increase MAO-A which breaks down mostly serotonin and noradrenaline.

"Riboflavin is a cofactor of the enzyme MAO-A, which increases catecholamine degradation such as serotonin and noradrenaline, thus keeping catecholamine levels in balance. MAO-A predominantly increases serotonin uptake, so activating it will be great for lowering serotonin and increasing the dopamine:serotonin ratio."

B6 reduces adrenaline, noradrenaline, cortisol, estrogen. Zinc and B6 are cofactors for GABA. Glycine, Taurine, are gaba agonists(best taken at night for sleep). Salt(Sodium) before bed lowers noradrenaline and adrenaline and is a SERT cofactor(breaks down serotonin).
I don`t know what are catecholamines, but I`ve been taking already some thiamine, niacinamide and riboflavin, the last one 50-100mg per day. Haven`t noticed anything, but I`m willing to increase the riboflavin dose, if you think the current one is low. I like this yellow pill and the color it gives to my pee.
I`ve done hair mineral test and I`m not deficient in zinc, nor any other mineral.
Took different forms of magnesium, the last one was malate form. NEVER had whatsoever effect from it, I start to think magnesium deficiency is a myth (will not go into argumentation with anyone on that; take it if it makes difference for you)
B6 I haven`t purchased yet, but again, I will if you think so.
I eat about tbsp nutritional yeast daily.

redsun

I don`t know what are catecholamines, but I`ve been taking already some thiamine, niacinamide and riboflavin, the last one 50-100mg per day. Haven`t noticed anything, but I`m willing to increase the riboflavin dose, if you think the current one is low. I like this yellow pill and the color it gives to my pee.
I`ve done hair mineral test and I`m not deficient in zinc, nor any other mineral.
Took different forms of magnesium, the last one was malate form. NEVER had whatsoever effect from it, I start to think magnesium deficiency is a myth (will not go into argumentation with anyone on that; take it if it makes difference for you)
B6 I haven`t purchased yet, but again, I will if you think so.
I eat about tbsp nutritional yeast daily.

If you dont already use gelatin, glycine is good. Taurine as well, both agonizing gaba. Yeh I highly recommend trying P5P for its anti-adrenaline effects. Too much vitamin C(OJ) before bed keeps me from sleeping easily. Ascorbic acid can increase norepinephrine since its a cofactor. Don't know if its just me, might be worth a shot to avoid C a few hours before bed if you dont already.

Marcine

Wow, thanks, very helpful to me. My homocysteine was high after Carnivore, so will add B2

OP
E

ExCarniv

Carni 1.5 yrs trashed me and my liver. I would give blood every 3 months. My copper is dysregulated so add oysters/shellfish as recommended.
Eat when you wake up, before coffee. Read Kate Deerings book. Do you check your basal temp/pulse? This forum can be confusing and the fb page rp inspired is only slightly more sane. Peat is more than nutrition, like the real world. Check your emotional traumas. Are you eating out? Takes yrs to remove pufas even before carnivore you were getting too many. Moderate exercise. Be grateful. Especially for failing early with carnivore

Yes, I will donate blood next month, I used to eat a lot of bread and pasta and here 100% of flour products are iron enriched, so with the addition of 2lbs of meat per day for 6 months I'm probably iron overloaded.

OP
E

ExCarniv

I used to eat 2lbs of meat per day, now I'm eating 200-250g per day and not every day, maybe 4-5 times per week, so I reduced drastically the intake of meat, need to pair it with gelatin, broth or Glycine more often tho. I drink broth a couple times per week when I eat steak.

OP
E

ExCarniv

Maybe not help sleep but depletes iron. Do you use magnesium at night? Eat 200 gr carbs before bed? Get am sunlight in your eyes for 3-15 min? That begins your melanin cycle.

200g of carbs at night helps with sleep or are bad?

I think I'm eating around 200-250 total per day lol, I think I need to up my carb game

redsun

Wow, thanks, very helpful to me. My homocysteine was high after Carnivore, so will add B2

Homocysteine shouldnt raise on carnivore unless you didnt have sources of folate like liver on it regularly. If that daily value of folate is not being met it can cause problems, this is harder on carnivore if you dont eat liver.

Marcine

Homocysteine shouldnt raise on carnivore unless you didnt have sources of folate like liver on it regularly. If that daily value of folate is not being met it can cause problems, this is harder on carnivore if you dont eat liver.
Thanks. I did not. Appreciate this info!

Marcine

200g of carbs at night helps with sleep or are bad?

I think I'm eating around 200-250 total per day lol, I think I need to up my carb game
Yes. Eat fruits and roots, one or both with your protein. I believe you are still 100 gr over in protein than the recommended amounts. Use lean meat and less fat and more carbs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals