If You Sleep Well After Eating Something, Can This Be Taken As A Sign Of Good Digestion?

Vileplume

I drank milk last night right before bed and slept incredibly deeply, only waking up once, which is rare for me. Usually I wake up a few times. I also drank honey and OJ. I’m about a month into applying RP concepts into my diet, after about 6 months carnivore. Just added dairy last week.

However, I have been constipated all day. No gas, just constipation. In the past though, when something doesn’t agree with me digestively, I sleep poorly. Does good sleep after eating a food reliably signify that your body digested that food well?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

What do you mean, did you not have bowel moment at the time that you normally have? or is there discomfort?

no bowel movement at all (whereas it’s normally in the morning, within 30 mins of waking) and I felt a pressure in my lower abdomen all day

BearWithMe

When you wake up many times during the night, do you have symptoms of high adrenaline? High pulse, cold hands and feet etc

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

When you wake up many times during the night, do you have symptoms of high adrenaline? High pulse, cold hands and feet etc
Usually not adrenaline when waking during the night, but from September-November of this year I would often wake up with adrenaline in the morning when it’s time to start my day. This stopped when I began taking progesterone, magnesium, and adrenal cortex.

Lately, I’ve been waking up just once every night. Sometimes no wake ups at all.

I also cut out milk two days ago, replacing it with cheese, and since then I’ve had two straight nights of over two hours’ deep sleep—haven’t had that since I started tracking sleep in may.

PopSocket

I think it is more about stress hormones and liver health rather than how well foods digest/ in the short run/. I was too on raw carni/keto for too many years and the thing that helped me the most to restore restful uninterrupted sleep just like when I was a child is mashed potatoes /really, really well boiled at least 1h best 1h and 15 mins/. Adding some high quality butter and salt after. Can add some ACV in the water while boiling. If you decide to try it and feel any hard parts of the potatoes means they are not well cooked and might cause some gas/stomach issues. Should be eaten away from meat and other foods.

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I think it is more about stress hormones and liver health rather than how well foods digest/ in the short run/. I was too on raw carni/keto for too many years and the thing that helped me the most to restore restful uninterrupted sleep just like when I was a child is mashed potatoes /really, really well boiled at least 1h best 1h and 15 mins/. Adding some high quality butter and salt after. Can add some ACV in the water while boiling. If you decide to try it and feel any hard parts of the potatoes means they are not well cooked and might cause some gas/stomach issues. Should be eaten away from meat and other foods.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I've heard from several other people (and Peat himself) that well-cooked potatoes are generally easily digestible, but they've always made me bloated and slowed transit time when I've tried them over the past few years.

Thus far, goat milk before bed has given me the deepest sleep. If something irritates my intestines, I'm guaranteed to get shallow and interrupted sleep.

Honeycomb

I too am really interested in the potatoes helping you sleep well. My sleep is very poor ... Why away from other foods though? And how much potatoes, butter and salt do you use? I often eat potatoes for dinner but almost always with other foods. Thank you.
@Vileplume It’s a really good question and I hope more share their experience with certain foods before bed. You may have already read it, @Rinse & rePeat started an excellent thread on sleep. I have tried many of the suggestions but can’t seem to stay asleep!

I think it is more about stress hormones and liver health rather than how well foods digest/ in the short run/. I was too on raw carni/keto for too many years and the thing that helped me the most to restore restful uninterrupted sleep just like when I was a child is mashed potatoes /really, really well boiled at least 1h best 1h and 15 mins/. Adding some high quality butter and salt after. Can add some ACV in the water while boiling. If you decide to try it and feel any hard parts of the potatoes means they are not well cooked and might cause some gas/stomach issues. Should be eaten away from meat and other foo

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals