Looking for help, lacking motivation, Carnivore

So, I am so used to the carnivore diet and adrenaline that's how I get everything I need to done. Some of us need a kick in the pants. But I am worried about the long term effects of stress and this way of thinking. I also think it is hurting my memory, I get up without an alarm clock at 6:30 AM, I have a feeling I am running on cortisol. I also notice my head get really tight, it's almost like my forehead grows taller...

I've tried implementing the ray peat style diet but find that I become too relaxed and easy going. This is NOT conducive to living in a 1st world nation though where results are everything.

What do you guys use to get up and moving and keep the motivation going? Any supplements?

I know this is like the reverse of what we're taught -- you should do things because you're internally motivated, because you like something etc. but a lot of my life has been shaped by doing things out of necessity / fear of consequences

lampofred

High cortisol/low pregnenolone causes low intrinsic motivation. It makes you need stimulus to get going. But it's extremely hard to figure out how to restore pregnenolone production so that you don't need cortisol. Sugar is probably one thing that helps (hence the "sugar high") and calcium/thyroid too but overall it's extremely hard. Sunlight probably helps too.

Also Dr. Peat would probably just say calcium + vit D for this. I haven't been able to make that work for me personally but I think that's what he would say.

Lastly your head getting tight might be a sign of calcification. Meat/phosphate and low calcium will raise PTH, increasing calcification.

Last edited:

Missenger

Carnivore can definitely give people balls but that comes along with the cortisol. People need some sort of kick in the balls though, this just isn't a good time.

I like the grasshopper-serotonin thing people made a thread about a study on here years ago, it's already funny enough that a certain someone mentioned it in a review he did. The ultimate reality is that times aren't just looking good, reminding oneself about what happens to people that ignore reality can help sometimes.
Certain people apparently like seeing famines, wars, genocides and death, I'd honestly would just like to not see another repeat.

Last edited:
OP
BestSinceDAYONE
Maybe better to die than to have to whiplash yourself to function like a dispensable workhorse
It's either that or be poor and live in regret of what I could have accomplished...

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
Carnivore definitely gives people balls but it can certainly be inflammatory. People need a kick in the balls though, this just isn't a good time. I guess you could compare it to grasshoppers turning into locusts to avoid starvation due to serotonin kicking in.
I like that analogy of the locusts...make me want to play Gears of War

Carnivore is pretty low in serotonin tho it's just high in adrenaline / cortisol

lampofred

It's either that or be poor and live in regret of what I could have accomplished...

I was just speaking metaphorically. I think that way sometimes in order to distinguish whether my goals are actually about achievement or about mindless "productivity"

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
High cortisol/low pregnenolone causes low intrinsic motivation. It makes you need stimulus to get going. But it's extremely hard to figure out how to restore pregnenolone production so that you don't need cortisol. Sugar is probably one thing that helps (hence the "sugar high") and calcium/thyroid too but overall it's extremely hard. Sunlight probably helps too.

Also Dr. Peat would probably just say calcium + vit D for this. I haven't been able to make that work for me personally but I think that's what he would say.

Lastly your head getting tight might be a sign of calcification. Meat/phosphate and low calcium will raise PTH, increasing calcification.
Hmm I'll try pregnenlone, i have a feeling carnivore raises cortisol but LOWERS neurogenesis

I have tried supplementing with Huperzine A, Ginkgo and Berberine

Melatonin as well but dropped it

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
I was just speaking metaphorically. I think that way sometimes in order to distinguish whether my goals are actually about achievement or about mindless "productivity"
No, the stuff I am working on is true problem solving

I like that analogy of the locusts...make me want to play Gears of War

Carnivore is pretty low in serotonin tho it's just high in adrenaline / cortisol
carnivore / low-carb is a great way to increase serotonin, the elevated free fatty acids displace tryptophan from albumin causing a higher rate of tryptophan entry into the brain, cortisol causes tryptophan to be released from your muscles causing the same effect... lots of ways

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
carnivore / low-carb is a great way to increase serotonin, the elevated free fatty acids displace tryptophan from albumin causing a higher rate of tryptophan entry into the brain, cortisol causes tryptophan to be released from your muscles causing the same effect... lots of ways
**** that! i'm switching to this diet i lost weight but started feeling like **** it's not sustainable long term

Jam

But in vivo, saturated fats (even the longer chain stearic and palmitic acid) do not displace tryptophan from albumin to any significant degree, compared to oleic, linoleic and alpha-linolenic acid. The latter two, while having a bit less binding affinity than oleic acid, are able to more fully and quickly saturate the blood in free form, while stearic and palmitic acids are quickly packaged into lipoproteins in triglyceride form by the liver. PUFA and MUFA tend to quickly form chylomicrons. Albumin binding affinity is not the only factor at play here...

Last edited:

Jam

So, I am so used to the carnivore diet and adrenaline that's how I get everything I need to done. Some of us need a kick in the pants. But I am worried about the long term effects of stress and this way of thinking. I also think it is hurting my memory, I get up without an alarm clock at 6:30 AM, I have a feeling I am running on cortisol. I also notice my head get really tight, it's almost like my forehead grows taller...

I've tried implementing the ray peat style diet but find that I become too relaxed and easy going. This is NOT conducive to living in a 1st world nation though where results are everything.

What do you guys use to get up and moving and keep the motivation going? Any supplements?

I know this is like the reverse of what we're taught -- you should do things because you're internally motivated, because you like something etc. but a lot of my life has been shaped by doing things out of necessity / fear of consequences
All the mono/extreme diets like keto, carnivore, and low-fat, are all unhealthy and stressful to the body. We need a good proportion of all macros, not just one or two. Carnivore would be keto, if it weren't for all the surplus protein converting (in a very inefficient manner) to glucose via gluconeogenesis. "Carnivore" with enough fruit and honey, though, is perfectly fine, as long as you limit sources of excess PUFA such as fatty pork and poultry. Have you tried eating enough fruit and sugar on "carnivore"?

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
All the mono/extreme diets like keto, carnivore, and low-fat, are all unhealthy and stressful to the body. We need a good proportion of all macros, not just one or two. Carnivore would be keto, if it weren't for all the surplus protein converting (in a very inefficient manner) to glucose via gluconeogenesis. "Carnivore" with enough fruit and honey, though, is perfectly fine, as long as you limit sources of excess PUFA such as fatty pork and poultry. Have you tried eating enough fruit and sugar on "carnivore"?
I've tried but I just gain weight and become lethargic and enhances my ADHD symptoms.

GreekDemiGod

Feasting on carbs / sugar while not having high thyroid function = lazy, comfortable.

One temporary compromise is to consume just enough carbs to give your stress hormones a break, but not enough to kill them completely and reduce motivation and drive.
maybe eat low-carb from morning till afternoon, and after you’re done with your work, have more carbs at dinner to help your sleep.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals