Heartbroken - Dr. Peat has passed

cdg

I attended Duke University in the early 1970s; I was interested in philosophy of language and mathematics and some odd things like William Blake’s biology and physics, a path that led me to Ray Peat. After that I went to U.Va. Medical School and graduated in 1978 as the Jefferson Scholar that year. Back then the pharmaceutical industry had not gripped so hard, and I remember discussing how the inflammatory disorders overlapped so often, how they improved during pregnancy and relapsed afterwards; William McKay Jefferies (“Safe Medical Uses of Cortisol”) was an Emeritus in the endocrine department. A few years later I was a member of the American Academy of Neurology. I practiced clinical neurology for thirty years.

A few years after medical school, in response to my puzzles about many things, Ray introduced me to what he called the “other biology”- the unity of the organism, the metabolic basis of behavior and illness, the manipulation of medical magazines by the pharmaceutical industry, the Russian science literature.

The puzzles quickly ran deep. If indeed we are not a bag of water with gizmos floating around in it- if we orient, and move coherently- then there are inescapable implications for the physical chemistry of the state of water in that bag, actually a gel; how liquid boundary and capillary interior water must act differently; how the dogmas surrounding DNA and the energy budgets of cells couldn’t be right. He introduced me to Gilbert Ling, with whom I had two precious conversations; and there were others I came across (Mae Wan-Ho and Gerald Pollack among them).

I want to address Ray’s tragic early death. I don’t have any new information about this, but I do have an opinion based on his fluctuating cognition in recent months, culminating in his sudden death, and how he thought about (among other things) acute versus chronic vascular responses to salt and sugar and endothelial adaptation. I believe that Ray died of hypertensive end organ disease. It seems likely that he met increasingly dangerous blood pressure elevations with higher levels of sodium and sugar which he mistakenly thought was therapeutic in the chronic context (and even possibly thyroid which would have put his stressed vascular system at risk of fibrillation).

Ray was profoundly aware of the metabolic unity of all biologic tissue, and that sugar and salt reduced stress. But as he said about adrenalin, there is a big difference between a little bit of salt and sugar, and a lot.

I don’t remember where Ray said this, but I remember him saying that a higher blood pressure may be normal or desirable in older adults. He seemed to be thinking that a higher pressure was needed to drive nutrients into an older body; that a higher blood pressure was healthy, and perhaps needed even more salt and sugar to compensate for the stress of aging.

But a healthy blood pressure is the one you had in junior high school, you brilliant kind stubborn turkey.

Thank you, Ray, You have meant so much to me .
I think Ray knew better, that excessive salt and sugar and other vitamins such as magnesium etc would not generally be needed if the metabolism was good, He said this more times than I can count and I have been immersed in Rays work since 2004. Surely he would not go against his own advise and knowledge? Higher BP in older people is well established especially when your respiration is not good. Read Broda Barnes book: Solved the Riddle of Heart Disease and his othes.

RIP Ray Peat. I never met you nor we did ever correspond but I miss you still.

You were pivotal in changing my life and seeing each day as a gift. I can't imagine how stagnant I might have been if I didn't find your work. His ideas broke me out of learned helplessness, even a deep generational type of learned helplessness that is inculcated from the culture. He helped me become the person I could become, and the person I can still become. His words can help us reanimate and melt the frozen patterns of behavior.

He helped transform my energy, my intellect, my goals. I really feel liberated and empowered. This is priceless and a treasure that his profound writings and interviews enabled. He provided the framework and tools to help us our entire lives. A vision that broke through the crystallized lies that are only there to limit our abilities and constrict us as creative, intelligent, and loving beings. And he did it with humble steadfastness, considering everything he had been through. He asked nothing for it. He gave us unique, wide-ranging, cohesive vision, that captured reality, presented in an engaging and accessible way, that deals with the most abstract of concerns all the way to the most practical ones, and tied it into one distinct Ray Peat body of work. Ray Peat is one of the few true philosophers of the World.

Thank you, Ray.

cdg

RIP Ray Peat. I never met you nor we did ever correspond but I miss you still.

You were pivotal in changing my life and seeing each day as a gift. I can't imagine how stagnant I might have been if I didn't find your work. His ideas broke me out of learned helplessness, even a deep generational type of learned helplessness that is inculcated from the culture. He helped me become the person I could become, and the person I can still become. His words can help us reanimate and melt the frozen patterns of behavior.

He helped transform my energy, my intellect, my goals. I really feel liberated and empowered. This is priceless and a treasure that his profound writings and interviews enabled. He provided the framework and tools to help us our entire lives. A vision that broke through the crystallized lies that are only there to limit our abilities and constrict us as creative, intelligent, and loving beings. And he did it with humble steadfastness, considering everything he had been through. He asked nothing for it. He gave us unique, wide-ranging, cohesive vision, that captured reality, presented in an engaging and accessible way, that deals with the most abstract of concerns all the way to the most practical ones, and tied it into one distinct Ray Peat body of work. Ray Peat is one of the few true philosophers of the World.

Thank you, Ray.
Lovely, most apt. May live in Paradise

Soren

Forum Supporter
Looks like Ray Peat had reached some of the celebrity set. Calvin Harris just posted a tribute post to Ray Peat on his IG.

Screenshot (31).png

Soren

Forum Supporter
Discovering Ray Peat and his work literally saved the lives of two of my family members. His work changed my life and I am eternally grateful for that.

May the choirs of angels come to greet you. May they speed you to paradise. May the Lord enfold you in his mercy. May you find eternal life

OliviaD

Heroico,

thanks for this. Every word from someone who new Ray in person is precious. What you are saying is tragic, it seems this death might have been prevented if your opinion is correct. Taking into account your background and longterm friendship with dr. Peat
you know much more than most of us. So sad. He will be greatly missed.
I did not read that he new him 'in person' at all. It fact, I think this letter is a little strange (although maybe not common from a 'mainstream' MD. I don't know of any evidence of RP having hypertension. I am not aware of any "fluctuating cognitive status". All reports I've heard from those who actually did interact with him indicate that he was his usual sharp self always. The only thing I'm aware of was a vocal issue - however; I suggest any listen to Robert Kennedy Jr. who suffers at a much younger age from a chronic issue with his voice - and it doesn't slow him down at all either.

I would not describe this as a 'sudden death'. Again, based on the above, it sounds like Dr. Peat was slowing down a bit, withdrawing from outside activities, and that he 'fell asleep in his bed" - just like someone who is ready to leave this earth, in a way I would describe as a 'good death'.

I find it strange that an MD would speculate about a cause of death, and be so inaccurate, and suggest that dying this way was a 'negative' thing. I don't want to make false accusations, but I wonder about this MD, and if he is an MD, I sure wouldn't go see him!

OliviaD

Tragic early death?
Fluctuating cognition?
Sudden death?

Have you heard what his friend Trebbie said about him?
She defined it as not tragic, early, sudden -nor were his cognitive skills declining.

Unless you know first hand - i consider your statements speculative and soiling accurate data of his final days.

Addendum:

View: https://youtu.be/Ocego3gMNko

THANK YOU, PEATFUL!
I just wrote a reply to someone who replied to this b/c I share your shock, then I just saw your reply! I am new here, do others know this person? Is he really an MD? Well, given the state of the medical system, I guess he could be, but this letter sounds really suspicious. I can't believe a neurologist, or any MD would make any of the claims in this post! Sounds like someone from the anti-sugar, anti-salt cults!!! :)

First, any credible doc would not speculate about a cause of death having NO INFORMATION, no medical records, etc. I've never read/heard anything about Dr. Peat having high blood pressure. And as you said "tragic early death"?? To die at 86 years old, active physically and mentally up to the end, living in one's home, and "falling asleep' in one's own bed is someone we would hope for all our loved ones and ourselves. Tragic? That is a bizarre statement from anyone, let alone a 'neurologist' , who surely has seen some such deaths.

I have not seen or heard of any evidence of 'declining/fluctuating' cognitive function - in fact, just the opposite.

I don't Dr. Peat abstained from sugar or salt, but I never have heard anything indicating he ate an excessively quantity of either of those 2 things. What he did speak against was the blatant fear mongering going on against certain things by the medical, pharmaceutical and food cartels that are not based in any scientific reason.

And - his 'diagnosis' of end-stage hypertensive organ failure???? What the heck??? Where was the organ failure? Obviously one's heart 'fails' when we die. My mother died from end stage organ failure a year after her wonderful Pfizer shots - and because her organs were failing - she was in kidney failure and needed dialysis (which she stopped), she was in heart failure, she had bad LE edema and often none healing sores, from that whole system 'failing', she developed rapidly progressing dementia, new onset hypothyroid, she was diabetic, her blood pressure was good now, but she was on a medication to keep it that way, and she didn't have a strong enough heart to make it high, I believe. In other words .. all of her organs and systems were 'failing' and it was obvious. And while the shots did put her over the edge, the fact that she followed all the advice of the mainstream system - including low sugar, and low salt, and 'low fat' , she was set up to have all of these problems. This is what 'end stage organ failure' looks like.

Nothing like what Ray Peat died from. IMO, Dr. Peat died because it was his time to go and the way he was withdrawing from external activity, it seemed to me that he was aware of this, and ready. Any speculation as to 'cause' or 'reasons' is not serving any purpose and in the case of the supposed 'doctor', seems to only serve to promote an ideology he wants to push. I don't want to be accusatory, but the post is bizarre.

If sugar and salt caused Dr. Peat to live and die as he did at the age of 86, I'm going to load up on both!

Apple

Nothing like what Ray Peat died from. IMO, Dr. Peat died because it was his time to go and the way he was withdrawing from external activity, it seemed to me that he was aware of this, and ready. Any speculation as to 'cause' or 'reasons' is not serving any purpose and in the case of the supposed 'doctor', seems to only serve to promote an ideology he wants to push. I don't want to be accusatory, but the post is bizarre.
He was healthier than the majority of 20 yo here. There were no signs that he just got tired of living , time to go, Walhalla is waiting...no, this just can not be true. There was always optimism in his talk, he faced life mockingly, with challenge, no fear.
Something bad happened.

OliviaD

He was healthier than the majority of 20 yo here. There were no signs that he just got tired of living , time to go, Walhalla is waiting...no, this just can not be true. There was always optimism in his talk, he faced life mockingly, with challenge, no fear.
Something bad happened.
Well, I did not know him personally, and have no idea about his specific health status and life. I said "withdrawing", based on people who do interact with him; such as Danny Roddy, saying that he was not answering emails, calls or interacting like he normally did, and that he had some periods of not feeling "100%" in the past year. (I'm paraphrasing). I know he was not processing the emails for new subscriptions to his newsletter this past year - my email was never answered and I heard the same from others.

Did you speak with him in the weeks before his death? I'm not sure what the date of his last interview was, but I don't think he had one in at least several month before he passed.

Death is a part of life - we are all going to die, facing ones death does not negate anything that you said - one can be optimistic and not fearful, etc. as one transitions from this life to the next.

I absolutely believe that my government, other governments and other entities kill people all the time. However, I see no motivation to murder Dr. Peat. The general public, the masses; did not even know who he was - i.e. he would not be seen as any threat to any such agencies. He had no social media/internet presence - which is where most of those speaking out are found. And - while he talked about his opinion during interviews on small obscure channels, he was not out advertising his views. He wasn't a public figure. There was nothing to gain.

No one can live forever.

Dean

Something bad happened.
Well, it's pretty clearly written on the wall how bleak the future is looking for the overwhelmingly vast majority of us. It's entirely conceivable that Dr. Peat could have made an internal decision, conscious or not, to let go of this life in this world.

Once done, someone as "in-tuned" as Dr. Peat wouldn't have to wait long for a natural, merciful, and blessed release.

DeadCatBounce

Just found out as I had too much stuff going on recently. @Rinse & rePeat knew something serious is up in the thread regarding the lack of interviews lately.

Real sad for us who remain here without him. Was a true joy to listen to his interviews especially with Haidut and Danny.

I cannot help but wonder whether we will know what caused the body to shut down. I had a gut feel for 2-3 weeks prior to the news something is not right. Kind of doubt it was unexpected or sudden. But not really my business.

Just found out as I had too much stuff going on recently. @Rinse & rePeat knew something serious is up in the thread regarding the lack of interviews lately.

Real sad for us who remain here without him. Was a true joy to listen to his interviews especially with Haidut and Danny.

I cannot help but wonder whether we will know what caused the body to shut down. I had a gut feel for 2-3 weeks prior to the news something is not right. Kind of doubt it was unexpected or sudden. But not really my business.
I doubt it was sudden too.

sunny

I think there is a strong possibility it was sudden and unexpected. The heart is a battery of sorts, and if there were an interruption in heart rhythm during sleep, where the heart did not recover and resume, one would pass peacefully in their sleep. I had an uncle who had this happen in his 50's. I also have a memory of Dr Peat on an HERB Doctor show talking about how even a cool breeze (or something like that) could kill an old person. I am as sad as the next person to lose Dr. Peat. I think the multitude of podcasts doing shows remembering him is a testimonial to the immense reach he had in his low tech manner. He made thousands, probably millions, feel like they knew him and had a connection to him. We have lost a great intellect that had the ability to connect dots like no one else. We have lost the possibilities of what his research would have uncovered in the future. But I am immensely grateful for him and his family, as far we know, he passed peacefully and without suffering. His spirit is at rest. It is those left behind who feel the loss and pain. Just as Dr. Peat would have felt loss and pain for those who left his world. But as he stated in the quote on grieving:

Ray Peat: It activates the “helplessness” reactions in the body, stress weakening your own life, and I think it can help to get out of that if you think of your life as a continuation of theirs—the same life, though with fewer bodies.

P

Peatress

Lolinaa

I feel so sad. I feel lost without someone with so much integrity and respect. Who will answer my questions now.
He answered my emails last September about thyroid. He said novotiral can replace cynoplus.

I will miss you Dr Peat. You reassured me and gave me hope especially through this Covid madness.

Thank you for your service to humanity Sir.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals