STARTING DR PEATS PROGESTERONE

Laura

It is very confusing to know what to do, I have read books and articles for about 6 weeks now by Dr Peat, Dr Lee, Dr Marcolla, Dr Sahelian, Dr Wright, Dr Hertoghe and here in Australia Take Control of Your Health by Ellaine Hollingsworh. I had been on BIHRT for about 1 year in 2011 I was in pre-menopause. I was started on a daily oral troche of Progesterone 110mg, testosterone 2mg , Estrogen 2 mg and DHEA 25 mg, I had to stop the DHEA because of hair loss. I stopped the BIHRT in April 2012 (after 1 year) when I went on a Chemo drug for 6 months called Xeloda after stage 3C bowel cancer, I had surgery and the tumour was removed. The cancer had gone into some of the lymph nodes so they started this new Chemo tablet, I was lucky as they were ready to do a hysterectomy if it had gone into the ovaries etc. It is close to 2 years this April that I stopped the BIHRT.
Just before xmas 2013 I started again on BIHRT as I was getting hot flushes day and night (around 12 or more a day), I was started on a "cream" this time by a Bio chemist that I thought knew what he was doing ( I now have my doubts) as I was too far now from the original doctor I saw. He started me on Progesterone 20 mg, Estogen 2 mg, Testosterone 5 mg and DHEA 25 mg. I had to stop the DHEA (like last time) after my hair started to drop out after about 3 to 4 weeks, it was still falling 2 weeks later so I stopped everything, it is now still falling after stopping for a month now. My hair had stopped falling the last year and had thickened up after thinning out from the Chemo drug, I can not believe it is still falling. Can it still be from too much DHEA and testosterone? it is 1 month since I stopped everything.
Since reading Dr Peats work and again Take Control of Your Health by Ellaine Hollinsworth who recommends Dr Peats oil ( I have just ordered 3 bottles of) I am wondering about the Estrogen like everyone else. I told the bio chemist I was going to stop the estrogen as the progesterone will produce that ( he denied that it did ). I know Dr Lee recommends a small dose of Estrogen like this Bio-chemist is telling me, but I am wondering about just trying the his progesterone oil and may be trying to find out the best place and form of Pregnenolone.
Since the Chemo (I am 53 in July) I have noticed how thin and dry my skin has become, I have aged so much over the last 2 years it is very distressing. I am wondering about taking both the Progesterone and Pregnenolone to help my skin plump up again, I never had sagging skin on my arms before the Chemo, I have never had a problem with weight except trying to keep it on. Dr Peat also recommends DHEA 4 mg ( is that SR tablet) that I was even thinking of trying, the bio chemist told me this will make no difference to my Adrenal fatigue. I have had CFS off and on for over 20 years after EBV, Citomegla Virus and Flavo Virus. I was also diagnosed around that time with Osteoporosis, I am a very slight, fine boned, white female which also makes a difference from what I have read. I was also diagnosed with Epilepsy, Complex Parcial Seizures (CPS) after a blow to the head by my then partner. I have CPS around the same time of the month which was when I had my periods also, I have may be 1 a day for 2 - even 4 days. I stopped medication as my hair was falling out even though the medication stopped the seizures, I can not drive which is very hard. I am even contemplating going back on medication and wearing my hair up all the time so you don't see how thin it is. For the first 2 years the absences were 6 months apart, then I started on Epilem and had hairloss so stopped the Epelim suddenly and then the seizures started monthly as I did not slowly stop the medication as suppose to. My hormones all say normal but they are very low normal, my thyroid function is Ok and RT3 OK. My morning Cortisol is very High, and my Free testosterone low, testosterone is normal. Would 4 mg of DHEA help me or is it too low to help Adrenal Fatigue like this bio chemist told me. I looked up on another site about does Progesterone make estrogen and it said it did. I know how to read my blood tests and intend to have some Saliva tests done before Dr Peats Progesterone gets to me.
Thank you my email is [email protected] if anyone has any information it would be so much appreciated.

HDD

Welcome to the forum, Laura.

Here are some relevant excerpts from some of Ray Peat's articles.

If progesterone's antiepileptic effectiveness were not enough (and it is very effective even in irrational pharmaceutical formulations), the fact that it reduces birth defects, and promotes brain development and nerve repair should assure its general use in women with a history of seizures, until it is established that they are no longer "epileptic." Although thyroid, progesterone, and a high quality protein diet will generally correct the epilepsy problem, it is important to mention that the involvement of unsaturated fats and free radicals in seizure physiology implies that we should minimize our consumption of the unsaturated fats. Even years after eliminating them from the diet, their release from tissue storage can prolong the problem, and during that time the use of vitamin E is likely to reduce the intensity and frequency of seizures. Coconut oil lowers the requirement for vitamin E, and reduces the toxicity of the unsaturated fats (see Cleland, et al.), favoring effective respiration and improving thyroid and progesterone production. Endotoxin formed in the bowel can block respiration and cause hormone imbalances contributing to instability of the nerves, so it is helpful to optimize bowel flora, for example with a carrot salad; a dressing of vinegar, coconut oil and olive oil, carried into the intestine by the carrot fiber, suppresses bacterial growth while stimulating healing of the wall of the intestine. The carrot salad improves the ratio of progesterone to estrogen and cortisol, and so is as appropriate for epilepsy as for premenstrual syndrome, insomnia, or arthritis.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ep ... rone.shtml

In experiments, progesterone was found to be the basic hormone of adaptation and of resistance to stress. The adrenal glands use it to produce their anti-stress hormones, and when there is enough progesterone, they don't have to produce the potentially harmful cortisone. In a progesterone deficiency, we produce too much cortisone, and excessive cortisone causes osteoporosis, aging of the skin, damage to brain cells, and the accumulation of fat, especially on the back and abdomen.
Experiments have shown that progesterone relieves anxiety, improves memory, protects brain cells, and even prevents epileptic seizures. It promotes respiration, and has been used to correct emphysema. In the circulatory system, it prevents bulging veins by increasing the tone of blood vessels, and improves the efficiency of the heart. It reverses many of the signs of aging in the skin, and promotes healthy bone growth. It can relieve many types of arthritis, and helps a variety of immunological problems.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/th ... ones.shtml

Young people produce about 12 to 15 milligrams of DHEA per day, and that amount decreases by about 2 mg. per day for every decade after the age of 30. This is one of the reasons that young people eat more without getting fat, and tolerate cold weather better: DHEA, like the thyroid hormone, increases our heat production and ability to burn calories. At the age of 50, about 4 mg. of DHEA per day will usually restore the level of DHEA in the blood to a youthful level. It is important to avoid taking more than needed, since some people (especially if they are deficient in progesterone, pregnenolone, or thyroid) can turn the excess into estrogen or testosterone, and large amounts of those sex hormones can disturb the function of the thymus gland and the liver.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/th ... ones.shtml

HDD

Just came across this about Dr. Lee by Peatarian.

"It's something John R. Lee said in a speech once. When he first met Peat he was 'a boy genius' and talked to a room full of doctors about progesterone, telling them it was reckless to treat women with estrogen and to forget there was a second hormone produced by the ovaries. He offered a list with more than 100 references to check them. Lee said, it was normal to have 5 to 7 studies prepared and to draw conclusions from them. Lee was the only one who got those references from Ray Peat afterwards and he spent the next months checking them. They all worked out and John R. Lee spent the rest of his life treating women with progesterone (and sometimes a little estrogen but that's another story), writing plain and flawed books - very easy to read - and became known as the progesterone-pioneer. Women who read his book on progesterone (which is pretty much a summary of Lees ideas about Ray Peat's work) get the idea that one kind of estrogen is actually good for you, that drinking milk is deadly and will cause a heart attack (Lee died of a heart attack though he avoided milk his entire life) and that PUFA are essential."

bold mine

OP
L

Laura

I just lost this message here I go again (in a shorter version). Thank you for this info it has taken me up until now to go back into this Forum.I had taken copies of all the information sent at the time.
I tried the PROG E for balancing my hormones, I used 3 bottles over about 2 months or a little over. It did not do much for my Progesterone levels at all, the previous BIHRT I was on 1 year ago did more in that 2 month period for my levels.
I am going to try a product called Laminine which is for hormones and various other health conditions. Laminine has just reached me Australia through a friend via Multi Level Marketing. it is from the USA and has been over there for a few years.
If anyone would like to help me and has any information on this Laminine please contact me on [email protected] , I had stopped the Bio Identical HRT during Chemotherapy April 2012 and have not started back on anything as yet, due to the hot flushes or night sweats I have no alternative.
Thank you again
Laura
- [email protected]

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals