Meeting Dr. Peat

Peatful

Who out there has actually met Ray?

Honestly, he inspires me so...I know he would not disappoint....regardless of how he presents.

Is he introverted? Intentional? Awkward? Silly? Warm? Weird? Fatherly? Motherly?

I can't imagine a world without him.

Last edited:

Prosper

Every night, just before I fall asleep, I rest my eyes at the 70" Ray Peat poster hanging above my bed. Then I wish him a good night, close my eyes and drift off to sleep in the midst of my Ray Peat pillows. Needless to say, I sleep like a little baby.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

Every night, just before I fall asleep, I rest my eyes at the 70" Ray Peat poster hanging above my bed. Then I wish him a good night, close my eyes and drift off to sleep in the midst of my Ray Peat pillows. Needless to say, I sleep like a little baby.
Point taken Prosperous one

I'm still gonna crush on him though....

DaveFoster

I had a phone interview with him once. He's very kind and intelligent; I had trouble keeping up with his ideas, but my brain was fried at the time.

:tearsofjoy:

Lilac

I often wonder why we don't get posts from people, or the children of people, who were helped by Dr. Peat back in Oregon back in the 70s and 80s, before the Internet. In interviews, he describes a couple of amazing recoveries.

NathanK

I often wonder why we don't get posts from people, or the children of people, who were helped by Dr. Peat back in Oregon back in the 70s and 80s, before the Internet. In interviews, he describes a couple of amazing recoveries.
Good curious question. His lifestyle, and the people he comes across, might not be the internet forum type, but surely there are some unsolicited 3rd party anecdotes out there.
I had a phone interview with him once. He's very kind and intelligent; I had trouble keeping up with his ideas, but my brain was fried at the time.
What was this I read in another thread about you interviewing him? Did you publish it? Always nice to hear questions from different perspectives

Sunny Jack

It is natural to wonder about such an important figure whom we don't really know much about. It isn't cultish to be curious about such things. I think that when the 'On The Back of a Tiger' documentary is finally released (assuming it ever is) we will have a slightly better idea. The footage I have seen shows Ray locking his car door and drinking coffee. I would imagine that he would come across as fairly normal but a bit shy, perhaps standoffish if he didn't know you. I doubt he would be particularly 'fatherly' or 'warm', at least not to a stranger, since he explicitly rejects the role of "an authority".

What would be interesting would be a potted history of the man, like you would see on a Wikipedia page.

x-ray peat

There is a presentation he gave a while back on Youtube where you can see him in action.
I'm starting to feel a little cultish now too.

Herbie

He drives an early 2000s model Toyota Hilux. One of the most reliable and functional vehicles around.

DaveFoster

What was this I read in another thread about you interviewing him? Did you publish it? Always nice to hear questions from different perspectives
Here's a message sent to Danny Roddy on December 8, 2016. It was from an interview with Dr. Peat earlier that year.

Dear Danny,

Hope all is well with you. I e-mailed you a while back about Ray's contact info, and then again about thyroid panels. I'm doing way better now, mostly because of DHEA and pregnenolone supplementation, caffeine, (and I just started thyroid again, but it's rough.) Anyway, I found my notes that i got from Ray, and they're scribbles but here's the summation:

- Ray stressed the importance of William Koch's work, particularly on quinones

- The four protective factors are as follows:

1) CO2

2) T3 (active thyroid hormone)

3) Pregnenolone/progesterone

4) Androgens and DHEA

(I assume he implied adequate glucose along with these.)

- He stressed the importance of selenium in hypothyroid people, as well as adequate sugar.

- He said a few mcg of T3 would put him to sleep at night.

- Thyroid function is the key to oxygen and CO2 balance

- In a hypothyroid state, sodium and magnesium are dumped.

- Cells of people with healthy thyroid function prefer potassium to sodium.

- An energized state is the relaxed state

- Vitamin E and quinones can share partial electrons and produce a black pigment (I'm assuming he's talking about in the liver)

- Adding an electron donor, or an electron acceptor to a muscle cell will cause nothing; adding both will cause the muscle to contract

- Sydney Bernhard's research "living state" (I think that's what it's called.)

- Oxygen causes damage to the electron system of transport through sugar and fat

- Protective steroids bolster the whole system

- Carbon yield groups activates another repair process

- Vitamin C is an example of carbon yield groups (could explain Linus Pauling's success)

- Quinones (and I think he meant along with vitamin C) pull electrons partly out of the protein matrix, and thereby free the cell from an excess of electrons, thereby limiting free radical damage.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

I have wondered this as well.
I assumed that they didn't understand his competence/depth due to his humility and even the simplicity of his approach and treatment.

Last edited:

Wagner83

Who out there has actually met Ray?

Honestly, he inspires me so...I know he would not disappoint....regardless of how he presents.

Is he introverted? Intentional? Awkward? Silly? Warm? Weird? Fatherly? Motherly?

I can't imagine a world without him.

Lilac

I have wondered this as well.
I assumed that they didn't understand his competence/depth due to his humility and even the simplicity of his approach and treatment.

I have had a similar idea. He is so low-key and egoless, he doesn't demand thanks or acclaim. No "I am the great Oz!" The cures were sometimes easy and fast. The people just went on with their lives.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

OP
Peatful

Peatful

I have had a similar idea. He is so low-key and egoless, he doesn't demand thanks or acclaim. No "I am the great Oz!" The cures were sometimes easy and fast. The people just went on with their lives.
This.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals