Has anyone tried soil/forest dirt for their microbes?

Matestube

"The difficile infects pigs, calves, and humans, and inhabits a natural reservoir of soil, faeces of domestic animals and humans, sewage, the human intestinal tract, and retail meat."

Yep, it's everywhere. And it's very much fine when it's in balance with other bacteria.

Veritas IV

Not an expert here, just a garden soil hobbyist that's also incorporated aspects of forest floor ecology. With that in mind i would not purposely ingest them. The wrong bacteria often outcompete the other bacteria in your gut. Carry it in your gut long enough and then it gets shared with family members or housemates, it spreads a few different ways. We won't even get into molds, mildews, fungi, protozoa type organisms, etc that are also in the soil and have absolutely no place in the human body.

As for the liquid myco-bacteria that you can purchase to add to your garden, some of them are not harmless either. Get certain ones on your skin and it can permanently disfigure that spot so wear your gloves. Ask me how i know.

And there is a difference between ingesting a few -vs- a few thousand. The few that make it onto your vegetables are not likely to cause harm, your gut residents will outcompete them.

Even the wrong probiotic pill can cause issues, think twice and research.

Rinse & rePeat, am so sorry for your loss. I hadn't been keeping up with reading all posts here and just stumbled upon the other thread last night.

Not an expert here, just a garden soil hobbyist that's also incorporated aspects of forest floor ecology. With that in mind i would not purposely ingest them. The wrong bacteria often outcompete the other bacteria in your gut. Carry it in your gut long enough and then it gets shared with family members or housemates, it spreads a few different ways. We won't even get into molds, mildews, fungi, protozoa type organisms, etc that are also in the soil and have absolutely no place in the human body.

As for the liquid myco-bacteria that you can purchase to add to your garden, some of them are not harmless either. Get certain ones on your skin and it can permanently disfigure that spot so wear your gloves. Ask me how i know.

And there is a difference between ingesting a few -vs- a few thousand. The few that make it onto your vegetables are not likely to cause harm, your gut residents will outcompete them.

Even the wrong probiotic pill can cause issues, think twice and research.

Rinse & rePeat, am so sorry for your loss. I hadn't been keeping up with reading all posts here and just stumbled upon the other thread last night.
Thank you Veritas IV. I am a girl on a mission to keep others from suffering the horrific fate my husband suffered, from this deadly bacteria.

Veritas IV

Thank you Veritas IV. I am a girl on a mission to keep others from suffering the horrific fate my husband suffered, from this deadly bacteria.

YW and still catching up on C. diff myself, but I've already started spreading the word on tetanus (shots), There's some things that we learn here that can be so hard to fathom.

Also: was just in the pork meat thread and was reminded of something, in addition to the other soil nasties i posted, there's viruses in there too!

yerrag

I think what isn't discussed here is how well our own microbiome and our state of health is apart from what our microbiome confers upon us.

Our microbiome is also determined by heredity (not genes as much as the microbes we inherit from our parents directly, and from ancestors indirectly). When was the last ancestor you can trace that lived in the jungle and roamed there and who took to the soil as much as our dogs and cats do? Even pigs being raised for food in farms are fed food mixed with soil as it adds to their health.

But we can't pretend our guts have the microbiome that is as robust as those of tribal people living off the jungle nor that of even domesticated dogs and cats in the asphalt jungle.

It may take more than one lifetime for us to revert to our jungle being where our microbiome can measure up to that of our pets that eat off the ground and don't get sick.

Pick up a book on bacteria and fungus and parasites that are zoonotic and anthrophonotic. And try pretending just dealing with trichinosis and leichmaniasis. Then consider how much you wish you were infected and how good it is to experience the gut issues and the skin issues. And that's just a sampling of what you could be dealing with. Do you have a plan B when ***t hits the fan from being so dismissive of microbes and parasites that your city-bred being isn't built to handle? Do you even trust our medical system to have the answers for the problem you brought upon yourself?

It's easy to say but not easy to do. Better to fear than to pretend to be brave. But if you still believe, do it and share with us your success and failures. But usually, people don't report on failures. So the forum doesn't get to benefit from learning from people's mistakes.

Last edited:
YW and still catching up on C. diff myself, but I've already started spreading the word on tetanus (shots), There's some things that we learn here that can be so hard to fathom.

Also: was just in the pork meat thread and was reminded of something, in addition to the other soil nasties i posted, there's viruses in there too!

Knowledge is power! So many people argue over things like pork and C. diff then you hear them complaining about their health in other threads not knowing why they often have diarrhea and other gut issues. After witnessing what my husband had gone through stuggling with this deadly bacteria and dying a very painful death I would caution anyone not to shrug off bouts of unexplained diarrhea. Reocurring C. diff destroys the digestive track. Good eating and being PUFA free and "Peaty" did not spare my husband. Had he not taken prescribed pain killers and antibiotics he would be alive today.

I think what isn't discussed here is how well our own microbiological and our state of health is apart from what our microbiological confers upon us.

Our microbiome is also determined by heredity (not genes as much as the microbes we inherit from our parents directly, and from ancestors indirectly). When was the last ancestor you can trace that lived in the jungle and roamed there and who took to the soil as much as our dogs and cats do? Even pigs being raised for food in farms are fed food mixed with soil as it adds to their health.

But we can't pretend our guts have the microbiome that is as robust as those of tribal people living off the jungle nor that of even domesticated dogs and cats in the asphalt jungle.

It may take more than one lifetime for us to revert to our jungle being where our microbiome can measure up to that of our pets that eat off the ground and don't get sick.

Pick up a book on bacteria and fungus and parasites that are zoonotic and anthrophonotic. And try pretending just dealing with trichinosis and leichmaniasis. Then consider how much you wish you were infected and how good it is to experience the gut issues and the skin issues. And that's just a sampling of what you could be dealing with. Do you have a plan B when ***t hits the fan from being so dismissive of microbes and parasites that your city-bred being isn't built to handle? Do you even trust our medical system to have the answers for the problem you brought upon yourself?

It's easy to say but not easy to do. Better to fear than to pretend to be brave. But if you still believe, do it and share with us your success and failures. But usually, people don't report on failures. So the forum doesn't get to benefit from learning from people's mistakes.
Well said Yerrag.

OP
D

DonLore

I 100% do not!

A failure thread would probably be good for learning. I have lots of them. :)
So what I gather from this thread and reading other articles, we want to keep a diverse gut microbiome but also keep things moving with carrot salad etc. So the best way is maybe: 1) eat plenty of different kinds of food that feed and provide probiotics like fruit, some veggies, mushrooms, kefir, raw milk, etc 2) spend as much time as possible in nature and have contact with it, so you diversify your microbiome 3) no antibiotics, rather a fast metabolism, mushrooms, carrot salad with antibiotic spices and ACV, garlic, ginger. Sound good?

Matestube

Again it is fine for healthy people to carry it, but we need to consider other less fortunate people when we pass it on.
Well you can't consider everything you need to be careful about when confronted to immunodepressed or "less fortunate" people, otherwise you just stop seeing them altogether and keep them in a sanitary closed room with no visitor.
C Diff is just one of millions things that could harm them, as you said because their gut flora was decimated by IV antibiotics and their liver destroyed by painkillers.
Starting from there, anything from the outside world is a threat to them, not just C Diff.
I understand we usually put the lense on where our individual issues lie, but the bigger picture is that people with compromised health are at risk for anything.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So what I gather from this thread and reading other articles, we want to keep a diverse gut microbiome but also keep things moving with carrot salad etc. So the best way is maybe: 1) eat plenty of different kinds of food that feed and provide probiotics like fruit, some veggies, mushrooms, kefir, raw milk, etc 2) spend as much time as possible in nature and have contact with it, so you diversify your microbiome 3) no antibiotics, rather a fast metabolism, mushrooms, carrot salad with antibiotic spices and ACV, garlic, ginger. Sound good?
Sounds good to me. I contemplated consuming some relatively untouched soil 17 years ago in desperation when my health had been very poor for several years. For me it came down to it simply being too much of a gamble to take knowing that the medical system probably couldn’t bail me out if something went wrong. I just don’t have confidence that we know nearly enough yet about the gut biome in either the mainstream or alternative spheres for me to purposely take that kind of risk.

Perry Staltic

I don't think you have to eat soil to get the benefit. Drinking spring water would likely accomplish the same at lower dose and would be relatively safe (assuming safe location). Hanging out in a place where farm animals are raised would also result in some inoculation just from handling and breathing dust. I have read that L. licheniformis, one of the strains in Megasporebiotic, is found on fowl feathers, so I bet I get inoculated tending to my chickens

C.diff has become an "out of proportion problem" in the last few years, and people have no clue. Anyone can get it and it wreaks havoc on the digestive system, sometimes with lifelong repercussions. I certainly would be grateful to know that if I had it and didn't wash my hands for 3 minutes with hot soapy water after using the toilet and I was visiting my grandparents I could pass it on and ruin their quality of life or kill them. I have a friend who's 21 year old son went to the emergency room a little over 2 weeks ago with it. He said the pain was immense. They sent him home with the usual antibiotics and you know what that means now don't you? His gut will never be the same again. So C. Diff isn't just a dying problem for the elderly and immune compromised it is a problem for those who would have othewise lived a healthy life if they weren't eating dirt or if they schooled themself on the subject. The statistics below are just from America, C.diff is a bigger problem in other countries.

"Approximately 29,000 patients died within 30 days of the initial diagnosis of C. difficile. Of those, about 15,000 deaths were estimated to be directly attributable to C. difficile infections, making C. difficile a very important cause of infectious disease death in the United States. More than 80 percent of the deaths associated with C. difficile occurred among Americans aged 65 years or older. C. difficile causes an inflammation of the colon and deadly diarrhea.

Previous studies indicate that C. difficile has become the most common microbial cause of healthcare-associated infections in U.S. hospitals and costs up to $4.8 billion each year in excess health care costs for acute care facilities alone. The new study found that 1 out of every 5 patients with a healthcare-associated C. difficile infection experienced a recurrence of the infection and 1 out of every 11 patients aged 65 or older with a healthcare-associated C. difficile infection died within 30 days of diagnosis.

“C. difficile infections cause immense suffering and death for thousands of Americans each year,” said CDC Director Tom Frieden, M.D., M.P.H. “These infections can be prevented by improving antibiotic prescribing and by improving infection control in the health care system. CDC hopes to ramp up prevention of this deadly infection by supporting State Antibiotic Resistance Prevention Programs in all 50 states.”

Matestube

C.diff has become an "out of proportion problem" in the last few years, and people have no clue. Anyone can get it and it wreaks havoc on the digestive system, sometimes with lifelong repercussions. I certainly would be grateful to know that if I had it and didn't wash my hands for 3 minutes with hot soapy water after using the toilet and I was visiting my grandparents I could pass it on and ruin their quality of life or kill them. I have a friend who's 21 year old son went to the emergency room a little over 2 weeks ago with it. He said the pain was immense. They sent him home with the usual antibiotics and you know what that means now don't you? His gut will never be the same again. So C. Diff isn't just a dying problem for the elderly and immune compromised it is a problem for those who would have othewise lived a healthy life if they weren't eating dirt or if they schooled themself on the subject. The statistics below are just from America, C.diff is a bigger problem in other countries.

"Approximately 29,000 patients died within 30 days of the initial diagnosis of C. difficile. Of those, about 15,000 deaths were estimated to be directly attributable to C. difficile infections, making C. difficile a very important cause of infectious disease death in the United States. More than 80 percent of the deaths associated with C. difficile occurred among Americans aged 65 years or older. C. difficile causes an inflammation of the colon and deadly diarrhea.

Previous studies indicate that C. difficile has become the most common microbial cause of healthcare-associated infections in U.S. hospitals and costs up to $4.8 billion each year in excess health care costs for acute care facilities alone. The new study found that 1 out of every 5 patients with a healthcare-associated C. difficile infection experienced a recurrence of the infection and 1 out of every 11 patients aged 65 or older with a healthcare-associated C. difficile infection died within 30 days of diagnosis.

“C. difficile infections cause immense suffering and death for thousands of Americans each year,” said CDC Director Tom Frieden, M.D., M.P.H. “These infections can be prevented by improving antibiotic prescribing and by improving infection control in the health care system. CDC hopes to ramp up prevention of this deadly infection by supporting State Antibiotic Resistance Prevention Programs in all 50 states.”
We keep saying the same thing and running in circles: yes C Diff is harmful in some contexts.

Veritas IV

Thanks @Veritas IV for the insights, might reconsider my nonchalant habit of eating garden products without washing on purpose.

Very welcome but the pleasure to contribute is all mine. I owe this forum and it's contributors a lot.

I'd still eat certain vegetables off the vine btw, i may wash or wipe them off sometimes, or just wash off the ones that are dragging in the dirt. Assuming the crops are not sprayed with chemicals of course.

I don't think you have to eat soil to get the benefit. Drinking spring water would likely accomplish the same at lower dose and would be relatively safe (assuming safe location). Hanging out in a place where farm animals are raised would also result in some inoculation just from handling and breathing dust. I have read that L. licheniformis, one of the strains in Megasporebiotic, is found on fowl feathers, so I bet I get inoculated tending to my chickens
Hey man, watch that fowl dust! I'm kidding about the fowl dust, but remain aware of parasites that congregate near farm animals.

An example, most here are aware of Toxoplasmosis Gondii, how common the parasite is and how it affects people.. But the parent Phylum Apicomplexa has a bunch of others that can cause us problems too. Some are rampant on farmland, may have preferred hosts but can still infect humans and produce effects. Another thing to look out for, snail country, whoever lives near snails also lives in a parasite heavy environment. Apparently snails are a part of the life cycle of certain parasites that can also infect humans, each one producing it's own list of effects. Should we worry? Of course not, but awareness usually makes a difference. It reminds us to wash our hands, not rub our eyes, be mindful of open wounds,, etc etc.

Which reminds me, i also left parasites off my list of reasons not to eat dirt: molds, mildew, fungi, bacteria, viruses, microscopic organisms including parasites.

Edit: corrected info

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals