Has Anyone Here Successfully Resolved "SIBO" Or Major Stomach Bloating? With Peating Or Anything Els

Kyle M

Turpentine is effective I take it on sugar cubes and give it to my son who also has GI issues .
It didn't seem to do anything for me.
Will post an update soon, I'm going to try to find a week to try garlic again w/turpentine.

YuraCZ

I can't stress enough, how is important food combining for digestion overall.. A Lot of people here have crazy food combinations and they wonder. Why they are not feeling well. For me its absolutely crucial. It doesn't matter how good the food is. If I will eat bad food combinations. I will poison myself and I will be miserable.. I was eating Peat friendly foods only, but the worst combinations of foods and I was stuck for at least an year.. If person is healthy with strong digestion, then it doesn't matter so much. But for people like me it's essential.

Peater Piper

I can't stress enough, how is important food combining for digestion overall.. A Lot of people here have crazy food combinations and they wonder. Why they are not feeling well. For me its absolutely crucial. It doesn't matter how good the food is. If I will eat bad food combinations. I will poison myself and I will be miserable.. I was eating Peat friendly foods only, but the worst combinations of foods and I was stuck for at least an year.. If person is healthy with strong digestion, then it doesn't matter so much. But for people like me it's essential.
Do you follow the typical combining rules? Fruit alone, starches alone or with veggies, etc?

YuraCZ

Do you follow the typical combining rules? Fruit alone, starches alone or with veggies, etc?
Yes the basics are the most important. So meat only with non starchy vegetables. Fruits like watermelon, oranges etc.. always alone etc.. But for example with starches I can have whey protein or hydrolyzed collagen. Because those don't need strong acids in the stomach like meat or for example with white rice I can have mashed ripe bananas. They are both starches basically easy to digest.. But yeah basics are most importamt.

This is a good video..

Kyle M

Yes the basics are the most important. So meat only with non starchy vegetables. Fruits like watermelon, oranges etc.. always alone etc.. But for example with starches I can have whey protein or hydrolyzed collagen. Because those don't need strong acids in the stomach like meat or for example with white rice I can have mashed ripe bananas. They are both starches basically easy to digest.. But yeah basics are most importamt.
I've noticed that combining different foods makes my tummy bloat more than mono foods, but even mono foods cause some bloating.

YuraCZ

I've noticed that combining different foods makes my tummy bloat more than mono foods, but even mono foods cause some bloating.
size of a meal is maybe more important than food combining for me. For example 2 bananas are not a problem, but if I will eat 6 bananas I will be bloated for the rest of the day. Same with everything basically maybe excpet cucumbers or something without sugar at all. Meat is also not a problem. Everything else must be regulated. So 6 smaller portion meals low in fodmap + food combining works really good..

Kyle M

size of a meal is maybe more important than food combining for me. For example 2 bananas are not a problem, but if I will eat 6 bananas I will be bloated for the rest of the day. Same with everything basically maybe excpet cucumbers or something without sugar at all. Meat is also not a problem. Everything else must be regulated. So 6 smaller portion meals low in fodmap + food combining works really good..
I hear you, and it seems like that's how my gut works most of the time, but I really really don't want to live like that for the rest of my life.

YuraCZ

I hear you, and it seems like that's how my gut works most of the time, but I really really don't want to live like that for the rest of my life.
You don't need to. It's all about fixing the metabolism= strong digestion.. Then you can eat basically what you want..

jaywills

YuraCZ,

This is really interesting so thanks for posting.

Could you provide a sample meal plan or daily meal schedule that you have been following? Or any tips that you couls provide.

Additionally how would food like milk and cottage cheese compare and when should these be consumed? It would make sense that the carbs from milk being lactose would digest differently and therefore milk should be consumed on its own.

YuraCZ

YuraCZ,

This is really interesting so thanks for posting.

Could you provide a sample meal plan or daily meal schedule that you have been following? Or any tips that you couls provide.

Additionally how would food like milk and cottage cheese compare and when should these be consumed? It would make sense that the carbs from milk being lactose would digest differently and therefore milk should be consumed on its own.
it doesn't matter how I eat. Everybody is different. But yes dairy should be consumed alone. Same with fruits. Meat with non starchy vegetables and fats. Starches with vegetables, fats or easy to digest protein sources like egg whites, gelatin etc.. but not with meat..

blob69

@Kyle M I've been following your progress here and wanted to mention my own experience. I was on a low-carb diet for some years and towards the end of that period my digestion became extremely bad. Nothing would digest well, even a pure meat diet caused gas, and no antiseptic worked at all (I tried rifaximin, erythromycin, oregano oil, nystatin...). Tests for SIBO were inconclusive. It was truly baffling and I was desperate just like you are now. Then I tried a thyroid supplement because I also had some other symptoms of a slow metabolism like coldness and chronic pain, and it worked like a charm - in a matter of weeks my digestive issues resolved and did not come back even when I quit thyroid a year later (I went off the low-carb diet meanwhile, realizing that it has caused my metabolism to slow down). So in my case it was definitely a low metabolism that was the cause of the problem, and to this day I don't know why nothing else has helped.

Kyle M

@Kyle M I've been following your progress here and wanted to mention my own experience. I was on a low-carb diet for some years and towards the end of that period my digestion became extremely bad. Nothing would digest well, even a pure meat diet caused gas, and no antiseptic worked at all (I tried rifaximin, erythromycin, oregano oil, nystatin...). Tests for SIBO were inconclusive. It was truly baffling and I was desperate just like you are now. Then I tried a thyroid supplement because I also had some other symptoms of a slow metabolism like coldness and chronic pain, and it worked like a charm - in a matter of weeks my digestive issues resolved and did not come back even when I quit thyroid a year later (I went off the low-carb diet meanwhile, realizing that it has caused my metabolism to slow down). So in my case it was definitely a low metabolism that was the cause of the problem, and to this day I don't know why nothing else has helped.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Actually let me elaborate on my health and let me know if you think it looks like hypothyroid:

First of all I've always been thin and been able to eat a lot without gaining fat. I got really skinny on vegan diets and then gained back some weight when I moved towards paleo and eventually Peat. But I've never had the fat gain problem of hypothyroid (except recently, see below).

One thing I've always had is a weird dandruff/dry skin/oily skin problem. It seems like my skin in general, especially my scalp, produces a lot of sebum and it gets mixed in with dead skin. It doesn't flake off much, but if I run my nails against my scalp I can scratch off all of this crap. It happens, but less, on others skin like my back and chest, especially after working out and sweating a lot. So does this seem like hypothyroid?

Ok about the weight, through all of my diet experiments from about age 19 to 30, one problem I never had was gaining fat. I lost too much muscle on vegan/vegetarian, and I've always had trouble building back the muscle I had when I was first lifting weights in high school, but fat was never a problem. Until now. In the past year (ages 31-32) somehow I gained several inches on my waist, a spare tire, that is totally new to me. The thing is though that my digestion problems precede this by a decade.

I guess thyroid works in mysterious ways, so maybe that is a missing link. I was about to try some of Haidut's thyroid any way.

P.S. - can you elaborate on your SIBO test, what is means for it to be inconclusive, and what your experiences with the antibiotics were? As in, did you notice anything or not really?

SarahBeara

I'm in the same boat as you Kyle, and I've come to the conclusion that I can't continue to flail around in the dark looking for something that affects it either way. I'm going to get a absolute craptonne of tests done.

Already had an endo and colonoscopy. They showed nothing but you fast for them and I'm fine when fasting! Want to get an MRI (while bloated), high-resolution mammotery (because it's majorly relieved by burping), barium meal test (radiation I know but I'll deal with it for the once off), full blood panel and whatever else my gastro can think of. The next doctor who uses the word 'functional gastro disorder' (functional - ha!) is getting a slap!

So far the only things that have helped me have been distinctly non-peaty, namely:

Krill oil (gasp! I know pufa but it actually really does improve my digestion about 60% and it is only 1g - not a long term solution - mitolipin might be an alternative here as contains same phosphatidylcholine)

Domperidone works really well after meals but increases prolactin so much and messes my hormones so bad so I have to be really suffering to take it.

Chromium polynicotinate. Just generally great for mood stress and digestion.

I've also heard really good things about Acacia fiber, specifically Heather's brand (the more expensive Senegal brand). I've got some to try but I've always had an AWFUL reaction to psyllium and the likes in the past so I'm tentative about trying it.

tara

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Actually let me elaborate on my health and let me know if you think it looks like hypothyroid:

First of all I've always been thin and been able to eat a lot without gaining fat. I got really skinny on vegan diets and then gained back some weight when I moved towards paleo and eventually Peat. But I've never had the fat gain problem of hypothyroid (except recently, see below).
Hypothyroid states don't always lead to fat gain.
Other signs to consider wrt base metabolic rate:
Body temps
Resting pulse patterns
Achilles tendon relaxation time (slow indicates hypothyroid)
Subjective energy levels
Maintenance calorie level (if it's low, that indicates not generating much base metabolic energy)
Water evaporation - difference between quantity ingested and peed out (an indicator of how much heat energy your body produces)
Thinning of outer third of eyebrows
Lot's of other possible symptoms of hypothyroid states.
I imagine gastroparesis could also be related, as could difficulty producing adequate digestive enzymes.

blob69

One thing I've always had is a weird dandruff/dry skin/oily skin problem. It seems like my skin in general, especially my scalp, produces a lot of sebum and it gets mixed in with dead skin. It doesn't flake off much, but if I run my nails against my scalp I can scratch off all of this crap. It happens, but less, on others skin like my back and chest, especially after working out and sweating a lot. So does this seem like hypothyroid?

Ok about the weight, through all of my diet experiments from about age 19 to 30, one problem I never had was gaining fat. I lost too much muscle on vegan/vegetarian, and I've always had trouble building back the muscle I had when I was first lifting weights in high school, but fat was never a problem. Until now. In the past year (ages 31-32) somehow I gained several inches on my waist, a spare tire, that is totally new to me. The thing is though that my digestion problems precede this by a decade.

I guess thyroid works in mysterious ways, so maybe that is a missing link. I was about to try some of Haidut's thyroid any way.

P.S. - can you elaborate on your SIBO test, what is means for it to be inconclusive, and what your experiences with the antibiotics were? As in, did you notice anything or not really?

I’m wary of all diets, be it low-carb, vegan or even vegetarian (the “badly-designed” version). I know way too many people who got messed up by them. So your diet experiments may have left some lingering metabolic issues - just a suspicion, of course…

As far as your description of yourself, I can relate to pretty much everything, including skin issues and being very lean until 30s and then gaining some abdominal fat. I have also never had the typical low body temperature and pulse, but nevertheless the thyroid supplement helped me. I often had cold hands and feet though. Supplementing enough thyroid caused some adrenaline issues, but I think I have this under control now. It can be quite a process to get this right!

Have you ever tried pregnenolone?

The SIBO test result was something “in between” - the doctor couldn’t decide whether it is positive or negative. I still got a script for rifaximin which did nothing. I don’t remember even a slight improvement in digestion from any antiseptic, however, I noticed other improvements like better skin, mood… strange, I know! Also, I find it really strange that even a pure meat diet caused gas for me. I thought that isn't possible if it's the bugs fermenting the carbohydrates... any ideas why that could be?

Emstar1892

I’m wary of all diets, be it low-carb, vegan or even vegetarian (the “badly-designed” version). I know way too many people who got messed up by them. So your diet experiments may have left some lingering metabolic issues - just a suspicion, of course…

As far as your description of yourself, I can relate to pretty much everything, including skin issues and being very lean until 30s and then gaining some abdominal fat. I have also never had the typical low body temperature and pulse, but nevertheless the thyroid supplement helped me. I often had cold hands and feet though. Supplementing enough thyroid caused some adrenaline issues, but I think I have this under control now. It can be quite a process to get this right!

Have you ever tried pregnenolone?

The SIBO test result was something “in between” - the doctor couldn’t decide whether it is positive or negative. I still got a script for rifaximin which did nothing. I don’t remember even a slight improvement in digestion from any antiseptic, however, I noticed other improvements like better skin, mood… strange, I know! Also, I find it really strange that even a pure meat diet caused gas for me. I thought that isn't possible if it's the bugs fermenting the carbohydrates... any ideas why that could be?

Hello blob69,

May I ask how you solved the adrenal issues? I also have this problem when supplementing thyroid, even in very minimal doses.

Kyle M

Practically speaking I can't say why pure meat would cause much gas, I certainly had way less when I was eating such a diet, but theoretically it's possible microbes could be selected for or adapt into very good protein and fat digestion.

Kyle M

Already had an endo and colonoscopy. They showed nothing but you fast for them and I'm fine when fasting! Want to get an MRI (while bloated), high-resolution mammotery (because it's majorly relieved by burping), barium meal test (radiation I know but I'll deal with it for the once off), full blood panel and whatever else my gastro can think of. The next doctor who uses the word 'functional gastro disorder' (functional - ha!) is getting a slap!
If you don't mind I'd be very interested in seeing any and all results you'd like to share. I'm afraid of any scope test (not keep on swallowing, orally or rectally, a scope) so I imagine I won't get one. Are you going to try a breath test? The MRI is the most interesting of your list there, I would like to see imaging of a gut distended from bloating compared to normal.

Kyle M

Hypothyroid states don't always lead to fat gain.
Other signs to consider wrt base metabolic rate:
Body temps - not particularly low
Resting pulse patterns - resting pulse is slightly low, usually in the 60s or low 70s, sometimes 50s first thing in the morning
Achilles tendon relaxation time (slow indicates hypothyroid) - I find this test confusing to implement but my tendon seems fine
Subjective energy levels - Variable, room for improvement for sure
Maintenance calorie level (if it's low, that indicates not generating much base metabolic energy) - This one is weird because I've always had an easy time maintaining weight (except on vegetarian diets) but a very hard time gaining weight. I had to force feed myself in high school to gain much muscle from weight lifting
Water evaporation - difference between quantity ingested and peed out (an indicator of how much heat energy your body produces) - Variable, when I'm stressed or cold I pee a lot, some days I don't pee much at all even though I drink a similar amount
Thinning of outer third of eyebrows - My eyebrows are pretty thick, this one probably doesn't apply to me
Lot's of other possible symptoms of hypothyroid states.
I imagine gastroparesis could also be related, as could difficulty producing adequate digestive enzymes. - This is the one I'm banking on, and the skin issue, I'd love it if thyroid could resolve my gut problems and my dead skin/sebum issue.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals