Has Anyone Here Successfully Resolved "SIBO" Or Major Stomach Bloating? With Peating Or Anything Els

Kyle M

Is it just bloating or do you get cramps and other things? Have you seen any acne as a result of this?
Only bloating unless I eat spicy food in which case there can be cramps. Doesn't seem related to acne.

Big P, thanks for chiming in!! I real your ENTIRE post over the weekend (the huge "good times, bad times"one. You're awesome!!!!

Oh you poor thing!!! I'm so sorry you had to endure that :drowning:

Although the oregano oil has been working so well I would probably end up not using any pharmacologicals. Let's see how the next couple weeks go, I'll keep you updated.

Oregano oil is good stuff!!! Let's hope that's all you require...where's the fingers crossed emoji?

Regarding your comment on fibers, I wanted to ask you: do you ever get gas or slow motility from the carrot salad? For me, it's been hard to tell... somedays it works wonderfully, I can feel everything moving faster the moment I finidh eating it. And somedays it gives me terrible gas and slow everything up. I'm thinking some of my gut bacteria is feasting in the indigestible fiber, but somedays maybe there's not many of those around so the carrot can do its job of going down sweeping endotoxins and bile residue from both the small intestine and the colon. Anyways, I'd love to hear your experience with it.

I had struggled with epic constipation for many years and then my appendix ruptured (more antibiotics). I cut wheat out of my diet and then I developed chronic bloating and diarrhea that NOTHING would stop, certainly not a carrot salad. So no, my transit time was like 4 hours. I'd eat a carrot and watch it come through totally undigested...same with all of my food. I managed to get stuff under control with the Raw Garlic Shock & Awe and eventually adding in things like artichoke hearts. Weed & Feed. The raw garlic cured my SIBO.

Then I had to take one single dose of Flagyl (for other reasons) and ALL HELL broke loose AGAIN....unstoppable diarrhea for ten days straight. My doc prescribed Nystatin and the diarrhea stopped immediately....by then I knew I had anti-biotic induced yeast overgrowth in my colon.

Still on the fiber issue, after reading up on Konstantin Monastyrsky from gutsense.org, I'm inclined to really give a long term shot to this ZERO fiber deal.

He has a great website and I think anyone with gut issues, especially constipation, should avoid starch for a while. I believe that my hypothyroidism induced constipation combined with lots of bread/starch eating caused my ruptured appendix and SIBO.

Finally, I'd like to hear your thought on FAT specifically in the context of constipation. I know you've gone Low fat for quire a while... did you notice any effects on your bowel movements, either good or bad? I'm torn between the fact that LESS fat speeds up digestion (since fat consumption slows gastric emptying) which could be beneficial for motility, and the fact that MORE fat releases more bile which is suppose to be good for peristalsis but can also irritate intestine lining. What has been you experience?

Yeah, I did very low fat for a good long while. Since adding fat back in I do have a slower transit time (like 18 to 24 hours instead of 8-12) which suits me just fine. I personally prefer to make and get rid of bile because it seems to clear more estrogen for me, especially combined with more fiber (think well cooked buttery potatoes, curried vegs or broccoli with some sort of fatty sauce). I'm an old woman and need all the help I can get in regards to clearing excess hormones. I don't find bile irritating to my intestinal lining....perhaps because it is bound with fiber? I dunno.

Hi okey. But what exactly does the garlic do? When i asked peat about it he said garlic is as tough on the gut as on bacteria.

What other herbal antimicrobials do you take?

Yes, raw garlic is brutal, but if you have anti-biotic resistant microbes from taking a life time of pharmaceuticals AND an overgrowth of yeast, more tetracycline, flagyl or rifaximin will not fix the situation.

Raw garlic has enzymes and other properties that disrupt the bio-films and as far as I know no gut bugs are resistant to it. You can research the merits of raw garlic and onions for yourself, there's LOTS of info out there.....having said all that I'd drink turpentine if I had to, but on a daily basis I eat raw local honey.

Bees & Trees

Kyle M

Sibo doesn't seem related to acne or skin issue?
I have sporadic acne, a tiny bit on my face and sometimes on my upper back and shoulders, but these break outs don't seem related to my SIBO symptoms. The main reason I think this is because my SIBO symptoms are consistent, I get bloated almost every time I eat, whereas acne is rare for mean and comes inconsistently. It might be gut related but it isn't tied to bloating or cramps from spicy food.

EIRE24

I have sporadic acne, a tiny bit on my face and sometimes on my upper back and shoulders, but these break outs don't seem related to my SIBO symptoms. The main reason I think this is because my SIBO symptoms are consistent, I get bloated almost every time I eat, whereas acne is rare for mean and comes inconsistently. It might be gut related but it isn't tied to bloating or cramps from spicy food.

You find any particular thing clears your acne?

Kyle M

You find any particular thing clears your acne?
Not really, it just runs it's course. I'm sure it's diet and stress related but I don't pay too much attention to it, like I said it doesn't happen too often and isn't really that bad when it does. To put it bluntly, compared to my gut symptoms I couldn't care less about a little acne every few months.

tara

But hey, if none of this crap I'm talking about works, sure I'll try overfeeding.
Olwyn promotes normal feeding (except if extreme hunger hits). :)
I'm not saying this applies to you - I don't know. But I don't think orthorexia is only a psychological problem - it can result in physical under- or malnourishment, which can affect gut function negatively. One way it can have negative consequences is that the body tends to adapt to undereating by increasing transit time, leaving more time for gut bacteria etc to build up in the food.

Kyle M

I don't intentionally under eat, the only things holding me back from eating more are the SIBO symptoms and now fear of gaining weight. Strangely just the past year I gained some abdominal fat whereas I never put on weight like that before.

Kyle M

How much are you eating?
I went through a brief stint of using chronometer a few months back but other than that I don't count my calories often. I should be eating more, I'm probably in the 2000-3000 calories range, sometimes going over by a lot if I just throw in a pint of Haagen-Daaz or something. All of this worry about eating enough, taking things like garlic or antibiotics throughout the day, it's quite stressful.

All of this worry about eating enough, taking things like garlic or antibiotics throughout the day, it's quite stressful.

Well, nobody is trying to stress you out....I can only speak for myself here. I found NOT being able to eat far more stressful. My gut situation was so bad that I actually became afraid and dreaded putting anything in my mouth because I knew what was gonna happen. I hated the fact that I was so freaking sensitive to EVERYTHING. Not being able to eat my favorite foods and not being able to go out with friends/family was far more worrisome....hell, I got to a point where I couldn't even leave the house.

The raw garlic helped me tremendously, but I was also avoiding all starch for a very long time. Taking high dose Nystatin for 90 days improved my appetite enormously, I became insanely hungry.

I've heard cyproheptadine can help in this situation, but personally I couldn't past the side effects. It may work for you, I got a bunch on hand...want some?

Peata

I haven't read through everything here or maybe forgot, but are you experiencing chronic diarrhea or constipation? Or are bowel movements OK?

Kyle M

I've heard cyproheptadine can help in this situation, but personally I couldn't past the side effects. It may work for you, I got a bunch on hand...want some?
I might be interested, what are the side effects?
I haven't read through everything here or maybe forgot, but are you experiencing chronic diarrhea or constipation? Or are bowel movements OK?
Bowel movements are varied but ok. They are almost never diarrhea or too hard/constipation, but oscillate between on the harder side and well formed to a bit softer. I actually poop a lot because post-meal bloating makes me feel like I have to, even if just a little bit comes out.

I might be interested, what are the side effects?
The side effects for me are:
  • massive grogginess the next morning, sometimes mild depression
  • super dry eyes, feels like my eyelids are literally stuck to my eyeballs
  • inability to pee properly, like I have to force my urine out
  • constipation....one would think I should welcome such a side effect after all the diarrhea I experienced, but no...I feel better pooping a couple times a day

There are LOTS of peeps who have benefitted from this drug, I'm just not one of them. I've read that the side effects will wear off over time, I guess I can't push through for long enough to see the benefits.

Everybody's different.

Why do people use that for gut issues?

To reduce serotonin and histamine, I guess...I had my serotonin tested at the height of my Diarrheac Frenzy, it was 78, so not excessively elevated.

I think if your serotonin is in the hundreds you might do very well to take Cyproheptadine. A large portion of your serotonin is made in the gut, but irritated guts can produce too much serotonin and histamine.

Do you think your gut irritation is caused by too many microbes? Or too much serotonin/histamine? Or both?

Kyle M

Do you think your gut irritation is caused by too many microbes? Or too much serotonin/histamine? Or both?
I think the bloating is caused by too many microbes but the irritation (cramping from spicy foods) is caused by serotonin/histamine. I have a very good reason to believe this, over the past year I have had 3 episodes of an allergic reaction to spicy food, involving diarrhea that I couldn't hold in if I wanted to and swelling in my face around my eyes. I am almost completely certain that what happened is the SIBO has progressively sensitized my gut to irritants and I finally reached a tipping point where so much serotonin and histamine was released from a particularly spicy meal (or food combos or whatever it was) that my intestinal muscles spasmed violently, pushing everything through, and some of the histamine reached my face. It was strange, and the swelling didn't go away for quite a while.
Ultimately that's what I think is happening here, somehow too much and the wrong type of microbes are in my gut and causing the bloating as well as sensitizing it to irritants that I used to be able to eat with no negative symptoms.
From what I understand cramps are simply intestinal muscle spasms brought on by stress hormones like serotonin right?

From what I understand cramps are simply intestinal muscle spasms brought on by stress hormones like serotonin right?

Yeah, I think it's your body's way of trying to clear an irritant.....but I can get a puffy face when I'm hypothyroid as well.

Hypothyroidism is a root cause of MANY gut issues, so please keep that in mind. I've decided that it doesn't really matter which comes first, all issues need to be addressed.

Hypo peeps often have microbial overgrowth, knocking back microbes while eating enough to maintain good metabolism are both absolutely necessary....otherwise you slip into a vicious cycle.

Kyle M

This was definitely not general hypothyroidism, it only happened 3 times and was the exact same every time, very acute diarrhea from spicy food. I can not eat all day and stress myself out and not get those symptoms, it was definitely gut irritation. Perhaps some thyroid/metabolic problems are part of my gut issues but these acute attacks are pretty clearly from irritating meals at that moment.