Haidut's "what I eat in a day"

Sefton10

I think from scale of Kyle Mamounis to Danny Roddy, Haidut is somewhere between middle and 70% to Roddys side, so he follows Peats guidelines quite closely but with some free roaming of cafeteria foods that are somewhat Peaty.
I was quite surprised at how low in calories Georgi's typical day sounded.

I was quite surprised at how low in calories Georgi's typical day sounded.
Back in 2017/ 2018, he said his caloric intake was around 2400 calories, which does sound a bit low to me. I eat a little more than 3000 kcal a day and I'm pretty short. His metabolism is in a much better place than mine though, which means he uses energy more efficiently than I do. This can explain why he doesn't have to eat that much to perform well.

gaze

Back in 2017/ 2018, he said his caloric intake was around 2400 calories, which does sound a bit low to me. I eat a little more than 3000 kcal a day and I'm pretty short. His metabolism is in a much better place than mine though, which means he uses energy more efficiently than I do. This can explain why he doesn't have to eat that much to perform well.
now the million dollar question is this: is his metabolism better or worse by being more efficient? so you wouldn't consider a "fast metabolism" a good thing, as in being able to eat more food without gaining weight? also I agree with @Sefton10 that it sounds low, just cause it seems hard to eat enough only eating OJ, cheese, eggs, lean meat, yogurt, and some soda, at least it would be for me. I think the meals he described also seem relatively low calorie

Last edited:

Serge

now the million dollar question is this: is his metabolism better or worse by being more efficient?

I think at any particular moment of time an individual can ask oneself - am I feeling + or - ? It sounds like a stupid poorly defined question, but strangely, I can almost always answer it. When in doubt, it's probably - . Who cares for the "speed of metabolism"? Do you enjoy your life, ot do you struggle?
The word "enjoy" is wrong though. A pig enjoys when scratched. There must be a better word.
You know what? I feel better listening to Ray Peat rather than eating oysters and drinking orange juice. I'm in Siberia, how can orange juice be good to me?

gaze

I think at any particular moment of time an individual can ask oneself - am I feeling + or - ? It sounds like a stupid poorly defined question, but strangely, I can almost always answer it. When in doubt, it's probably - . Who cares for the "speed of metabolism"? Do you enjoy your life, ot do you struggle?
The word "enjoy" is wrong though. A pig enjoys when scratched. There must be a better word.
You know what? I feel better listening to Ray Peat rather than eating oysters and drinking orange juice. I'm in Siberia, how can orange juice be good to me?
i tend to agree with you slightly, but i have a feeling ray would respond to that by saying people may feel good with a pulse of 60 burning 1700 calories a day, cause their idea of "good" is messed up. not to mention people with lower metabolic rates have increased rates of cancer and degenerative diseases. ironically someone with a higher metabolic rate who feels worse is actually at a lower risk of cancer, that's why people with autoimmune issues and highly allergenic responses to the environment (i.e an overactive immune system) actually have lower rates of cancer despite feeling like crap.

"The researchers found that having a contact allergy was associated with a strong protective effect against cancer: those who tested positive for allergies were less likely to develop cancer in later years than those who didn’t have allergies. The relationship was strongest for breast and skin cancers that weren’t due to melanoma."

basically what i'm saying is that going off how you feel can be really deceiving, such is the case with fish oil where it makes you feel good but is killing you

Last edited:

Serge

cause their idea of "good" is messed up.
No. It's not. You know without countng pulse or measuring vitamin D, whether you are feeling good ot shitty. At any point of time we know that. If we don't - we're feeling shitty. Whatever the pulse is.

now the million dollar question is this: is his metabolism better or worse by being more efficient? so you wouldn't consider a "fast metabolism" a good thing, as in being able to eat more food without gaining weight? also I agree with @Sefton10 that it sounds low, just cause it seems hard to eat enough only eating OJ, cheese, eggs, lean meat, yogurt, and some soda, at least it would be for me. I think the meals he described also seem relatively low calorie
As far as I know, there two ways to be wasting with regards to metabolism:
1. You turn carbs into lactic acid, generating little ATP or ( coherent) flow of electrons through the cell; no CO2 will be produced from this.
2. The glycolysis yields pyruvate, which gets dehydrogenated into acetyl coA by the PDH enzyme. This acetyl coA goes thrhough the Krebs Cycle, getting more and more oxidized. This will yield lots of electrons( NADH and FADH2), which will be sent to the electron transport chain. The difference here is that, during an uncoupling event, the hydrogen( proton) excess in the mitochondria aren't used to synthesize ATP. What happens is a heat release. In this case, there is no lactate production, but there is still CO2 production.

What I think may be happening is that, if your PDH enzyme is working well( thiamine) and you're not deficient in NAD( whose precursor is niacin/ niacinamide), then you won't waste glucose into lactate, which will free those electrons to be shunted to the ETC and allow the cell to perform some uncoupling. So, in other words, if you don't waste much glucose in glycolysis, you can waste it( with much better effects) in the ETC. I believe haidut's metabolism, even though he isn't eating a lot, fits more in the second wasting scenario, which is much better imo.

About the fast metabolism question, I think there is only so many electrons that can safely flow though the cells structure. If the person isn't overproducing lactate, then the excess electrons will either go to the electron transport chain( generating ATP or just heat if the cell doesn't want any more ATP), or they will be used to make fatty acids( which will be stored). So I guess eating just the right excess of food to increase heat production( though uncoupling), but not fat production, may be the solution. I get the feeling that people who can eat many thousands of calories a day simply may be overproducing lactate, or else they would either be extremely hot( maybe too hot) or consistently gaining fat. Of course, there may other possibilities of pathways that I'm not aware of too.

gaze

No. It's not. You know without countng pulse or measuring vitamin D, whether you are feeling good ot shitty. At any point of time we know that. If we don't - we're feeling shitty. Whatever the pulse is.
I know you can tell when you feel good or bad without measuring anything, but what Im trying to say is even if you feel good, you may be unhealthier than when you felt bad. For example if you feel like crap, so you take fish oil which makes you feel better by shutting off your immune system, it doesn't mean your healthier because you feel better, because having a low immune system raises your risk of cancer despite you feeling good with no inflammatory response in your body. Point being just how you feel can't be the main predictor of health.
As far as I know, there two ways to be wasting with regards to metabolism:
1. You turn carbs into lactic acid, generating little ATP or ( coherent) flow of electrons through the cell; no CO2 will be produced from this.
2. The glycolysis yields pyruvate, which gets dehydrogenated into acetyl coA by the PDH enzyme. This acetyl coA goes thrhough the Krebs Cycle, getting more and more oxidized. This will yield lots of electrons( NADH and FADH2), which will be sent to the electron transport chain. The difference here is that, during an uncoupling event, the hydrogen( proton) excess in the mitochondria aren't used to synthesize ATP. What happens is a heat release. In this case, there is no lactate production, but there is still CO2 production.

What I think may be happening is that, if your PDH enzyme is working well( thiamine) and you're not deficient in NAD( whose precursor is niacin/ niacinamide), then you won't waste glucose into lactate, which will free those electrons to be shunted to the ETC and allow the cell to perform some uncoupling. So, in other words, if you don't waste much glucose in glycolysis, you can waste it( with much better effects) in the ETC. I believe haidut's metabolism, even though he isn't eating a lot, fits more in the second wasting scenario, which is much better imo.

About the fast metabolism question, I think there is only so many electrons that can safely flow though the cells structure. If the person isn't overproducing lactate, then the excess electrons will either go to the electron transport chain( generating ATP or just heat if the cell doesn't want any more ATP), or they will be used to make fatty acids( which will be stored). So I guess eating just the right excess of food to increase heat production( though uncoupling), but not fat production, may be the solution. I get the feeling that people who can eat many thousands of calories a day simply may be overproducing lactate, or else they would either be extremely hot( maybe too hot) or consistently gaining fat. Of course, there may other possibilities of pathways that I'm not aware of too.
well said

equipoise

I think once you're healed from whatever symptoms you had, establish a clean-ish gut flora and Know what supplements work for you/have a meaningful life, you can get away with many things and don't need to eat clean all the time. In fact, "clean eating" to the point of obsession usually triggers the symptoms back and you're stuck in a vicious circle unable to get out. Find purpose in life, nothing will ever makes sense in this concrete jungle.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals