Haagen-Dazs Cheaper Alternative

TheHound

Pretty amusing but does anyone know a good alternative to haagen that is cheaper? I go through about 3-4 500ml tubs of it a week to get lots of calories and the cost adds up! Doesn't have to be ice cream but anything very calorie dense with a similar nutrient profile

Thanks!

Edit: in Canada

Last edited:

HDD

If you're in the US, Walmart has Sam's Choice (or Select? not sure of exact name) that has limited good ingredients.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
But remember, all of that mass-produced ice cream, whether it's Haagen-Dazs or other brands, is made from cream of corn, grain, and soy fed cows. Only small-batch brands produce 100% organic, grass fed, pure iced cream.

L

lollipop

But remember, all of that mass-produced ice cream, whether it's Haagen-Dazs or other brands, is made from cream of corn, grain, and soy fed cows. Only small-batch brands produce 100% organic, grass fed, pure iced cream.
To your point, I also avoid commercial brands. I found a local maker in California called Three Twins. The bomb, organic and grassfed. Great ingredients on four flavors: vanilla bean, Madagascar vanilla, coffee, bittersweet chocolate.

To your point, I also avoid commercial brands. I found a local maker in California called Three Twins. The bomb, organic and grassfed. Great ingredients on four flavors: vanilla bean, Madagascar vanilla, coffee, bittersweet chocolate.

My comment was making fun of the idea of being so against corn, grains, and soy while then turning around and eating corn, grain, and soy fed dairy (and meats). Even Peat occasionally eats Masa Harina and Hominy which are corn. I consume quality corn, grains, and occasional soy products like these:

Sprouted Corn Tortillas

Golden-masa-harina-corn-flour

blue-cornmeal

organic-kamut-berries

Original Soy Cake

People just yelp out the “grass fed” thing as if every dairy product they purchase is truly grass fed, from birth to death, and organic, which doesn’t seem true, because most people are on a budget, and those truly grass fed products are not available everywhere. Even the Whole Foods brands that are “organic” are not grass fed. I don’t think the corn, grain, and soy fed ice cream products are “bad.” It’s irrelevant to me because I don’t eat that kind of ice cream. I prefer dairy free coconut ice cream like products and fruit sorbets over dairy ice cream.

There are no brands that meet that criteria. I make it myself and it's an ongoing experiment on how to make it better every time.

What-a-Riot

I've been wondering this about the ice cream I've been getting: when the ingredient "egg yolks" is listed, can that and does it likely mean powdered egg yolks? That would be a major disappointment

L

lollipop

My comment was making fun of the idea of being so against corn, grains, and soy while then turning around and eating corn, grain, and soy fed dairy (and meats). Even Peat occasionally eats Masa Harina and Hominy which are corn. I consume quality corn, grains, and occasional soy products like these:

Sprouted Corn Tortillas

Golden-masa-harina-corn-flour

blue-cornmeal

organic-kamut-berries

Original Soy Cake

People just yelp out the “grass fed” thing as if every dairy product they purchase is truly grass fed, from birth to death, and organic, which doesn’t seem true, because most people are on a budget, and those truly grass fed products are not available everywhere. Even the Whole Foods brands that are “organic” are not grass fed. I don’t think the corn, grain, and soy fed ice cream products are “bad.” It’s irrelevant to me because I don’t eat that kind of ice cream. I prefer dairy free coconut ice cream like products and fruit sorbets over dairy ice cream.
Well...I certainly misread your comment - lol. That said, I stand by my thoughts: small, local, dairies, pure ingredients, not corn fed if possible. Here in Dallas, I can find those kind of products and when I lived in California and in Santa Fe, NM, I also found them. You are correct though, not readily available. Your idea of making your own is fabulous and what I will probably do :):

jyb

Pretty amusing but does anyone know a good alternative to haagen that is cheaper? I go through about 3-4 500ml tubs of it a week to get lots of calories and the cost adds up! Doesn't have to be ice cream but anything very calorie dense with a similar nutrient profile

Thanks!

Edit: in Canada

You can't go cheaper than getting the ingredients directly from the source (here, double cream mostly). It also allows you to increase the quality as you can choose what goes in. Although apparently, it is difficult to get proper cream in some countries (without additives and from mostly grass fed cows).

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There are no brands that meet that criteria. I make it myself and it's an ongoing experiment on how to make it better every time.
Thanks. If you come up with a good recipe please let us know.

lindsay

Why not buy an ice cream machine? I would if I had room for it.

I second this. Ice cream machines are fairly inexpensive and you can control the ingredients. Plus, you can make other things in it if you want - like frozen yogurt, sorbet, etc.

schultz

I'm in Canada and two stores (Zehrs and Sobeys) have their own brand of ice cream that is on par with Haagen Dazs.

PC brand vanilla ingredients: Cream, Milk, Frozen Egg Yolk, Sugar, Vanilla Extract

Sensations brand vanilla ingredients: Cream, Milk, Sugar, Skim Milk Powder, Frozen Egg Yolk, Vanilla

They tend to go on sale quite a bit as low as $3.50 per 500ml container whereas Haagen-Dazs is as high as $7.50 sometimes, though it goes on sale for like $4.99 or even less maybe.

I don't know how much my wife and daughter go through, but we seem to be always buying like 4 every time we go to the store... They eat it before bed and it keeps my daughter asleep at night and not waking me up in the middle of the night. I think my wife would waste away if she didn't eat it. She loses weight fast when she breast feeds and needs all the calories she can get!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals