Gymrats and fitbros come at me!

PeatBull

Im started to feel depressed. I workout hard without destroying myself. Eat a lot of carbs, good protein, orange juice. Make my gelatin, bread and sausages sometimes. Eat liver and oysters when i find them fresh. I take small dose cynoplus and a bit of progest-e when i feel so. Asprin aswell couple of time during the week. And there is no way i can improve my phisique aesthetically. Only think y get when i up my calories is belly and belly fat. When i lower them i look ripped but skinny. Im already aproching my 40’s, but anyway, i have friends that get a lot better results, even eating a los of pufas, nuts, salmon and so and knowing nothing about thyroid or peating. The good thing is that i have a lot of energy to get ***t done tru the day, but its the only improvement i see.
Im thinking about cheating a bit, start using testo or something that would help. Anyway, someone in similar position?

Peater

Im started to feel depressed. I workout hard without destroying myself. Eat a lot of carbs, good protein, orange juice. Make my gelatin, bread and sausages sometimes. Eat liver and oysters when i find them fresh. I take small dose cynoplus and a bit of progest-e when i feel so. Asprin aswell couple of time during the week. And there is no way i can improve my phisique aesthetically. Only think y get when i up my calories is belly and belly fat. When i lower them i look ripped but skinny. Im already aproching my 40’s, but anyway, i have friends that get a lot better results, even eating a los of pufas, nuts, salmon and so and knowing nothing about thyroid or peating. The good thing is that i have a lot of energy to get ***t done tru the day, but its the only improvement i see.
Im thinking about cheating a bit, start using testo or something that would help. Anyway, someone in similar position?
My body comp always sucked even when I was lifting as often as possible on a Wender 5/3/1 programme and eating as clean as possible (No dirty bulking here - think it was pre-peat but definitely paleo with minimal nuts and plentiful coconut oil)

Nothing has ever made any real difference in the end I decided I'd settle for being overall 'big', then I blew my shoulder up and that was that for my lifting career. (I don't do moderation, if I can't train how I want when I want, it's not happening)

I'm just saying maybe focus elsewhere but I understand the frustration.

First lets check some bases:
-Consume adequate protein, ~0.8 g protein/lb bodyweight should be enough
-Consume enough fat. Don't mess with super low fat diets, they will crash your androgens. Depending on your bodyweight anywhere from consume at least 80 g of fat up to 150 g if you are much larger from mainly saturated sources such as eggs, butter, red meat.
- Consume enough carbohydrates, >300 g is probably a good start but scale up or down depending on rate of weight gain,

Make sure you are training hard enough with enough volume to gain muscle mass, the main goal for improving your physique appearance and generally body composition.

For me to assess that, please post your full weekly routine include exercises, sets, reps. I can comment on if you are doing enough work. Many people including myself in the past do not train hard enough, even though they think they are. Also if consuming enough carbohydrates and calories, we should not worry too much about the stress response.

Do you use creatine? I'm 42 and I find it gives me a bit more volume at the gym despite getting older.

Ben.

Any health issues present? I think when muscles barely build despite best "natural" efforts then something is amiss. Exogenous growth promoting substances work but i woudn't want it to conceal something that might be a relevant health marker.

I remember reading a study that said Aspirin is a strong enough anti inflammatory to reduce the stimuluson the muscles from training. The effect is long lasting too, 10 days i think.

liber1

Take a break from the gym. Find outdoor activities that are engaging mentally and physically. Go for hikes and learn about the native plants in your area or build a stone fire pit from river rocks.

If you’re set on keeping your schedule, consider a conjugated program where the exercises are always changing, often being thought of during the workout. Explore exercise from a new perspective

EustaceBagge

Change your intensity/volume parameters? More intensity you put in each set = less volume, more volume = less intensity. You can't sprint a marathon and neither can you marathon a sprint, so maybe your training is not individual enough and most people nowadays resort to high volume. Increasing the general "effort" you give in a certain set might bring you to growth stimulation with less volume and that might work better for you. This is called high intensity training.

Also, the whole concept behind training x amounts per week is just observations on what works and a couple research papers stating muscle recovery takes about 72 hours. But this may change if your training is very intense or your work is also stressful on your cns. So try taking more rest between workouts?

OP
PeatBull

PeatBull

First lets check some bases:
-Consume adequate protein, ~0.8 g protein/lb bodyweight should be enough
-Consume enough fat. Don't mess with super low fat diets, they will crash your androgens. Depending on your bodyweight anywhere from consume at least 80 g of fat up to 150 g if you are much larger from mainly saturated sources such as eggs, butter, red meat.
- Consume enough carbohydrates, >300 g is probably a good start but scale up or down depending on rate of weight gain,

Make sure you are training hard enough with enough volume to gain muscle mass, the main goal for improving your physique appearance and generally body composition.

For me to assess that, please post your full weekly routine include exercises, sets, reps. I can comment on if you are doing enough work. Many people including myself in the past do not train hard enough, even though they think they are. Also if consuming enough carbohydrates and calories, we should not worry too much about the stress response.
Today was chest day.
Inclined dumbell press: 20kg x 3 setsx 20 reps
25 kg two more sets to failure.
Cable chest press: 5 sets 10-15 reps
Bench press: 60 kg 3x10

Now im following Doug Brignoles method.

CastorTroy

Look into explosive training. First learn to periodize, alternating pure strenght cycles with power (explosiveness) ones, in oder to gain more fast-twitch fiber. Forget about usual gym bros routines to get bigger. Most people only get big and fluffy by doing that. You need to train more POWER, if you want that jacked look.

Last edited:

EustaceBagge

Look into explosive training. First learn to periodize, alternating pure strenght cycles with power (explosiveness) ones, in oder to gain more fast-twitch fiber. Forget about usual gym bros routines to get bigger. Most people only get big and fluffy by doing that. You need to train more POWER, if you want that jacked look.
Yes, for dense muscle this is the way. Low volume high intensity (power) gives you a granite look like Mike Mentzer and Dorian Yates had.

Attachments

• Mike Mentzer.jpg
    Mike Mentzer.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 39

Risingfire

What's the frequency of your workouts? How long?

Are you checking temp/pulse?

Are you recording your calories?

Why aren't you drinking milk and eggs?

challenger

How often are you going up in weight on your lifts?
I’ve noticed a lot of people who “fall out of love” with lifting stop focusing on progression and just go through the motions.
If you’re not getting stronger over time you probably(read: almost certainly) aren’t building any meaningful muscle mass.

Peachy

Do you have trouble with lower body, core or upper body tone? Or is it similar throughout?

Tom K

Ah, Bro-science exists in exercise to a far greater degree than other pop issues. There is so much misinformation above, which I hear regularly, from friends and patients, that I often laugh when friends and patients share their ideas with me. The most important component that determines how an individual responds to exercise is to, "Choose your parents wisely!" Translation, genetics are the most important factor that determines response to exercise, specifically the myostatin mutation deletion, and physiological-longitudinal muscular cross sections. Everyone can improve, but these most important variables are limited in their ability to be altered.

EVERY PERSON'S TOLERANCE TO EXERCISE IS DIFFERENT. Repeat that statement several times until you believe it. Based on your current routine, you are training far too frequently and with too much volume. Reduce the number of training sessions to two (2) per week. Use one compound exercise per body part (leg press, lat pull down, bench press or dips, shrugs, shoulder abduction {lateral raise}. Train to momentary muscular failure (choose a weight that enables at least 8 reps, but no more than 12). Perform the concentric (lifting) and eccentric (lowering) of the weight for 6 seconds each. Download a metronome app to your phone so the counting of seconds is consistent. You have not rested sufficiently between workouts if you cannot increase the reps (ex. from 8 to 10). If after reaching failure at 12 reps, increase the weight and start over. The weight increase was too large if you cannot reach 8 reps. As your strength increases you will be capable of increasing the stress and therefore challenging your ability to recover from the workout. Workouts must then be spaced further apart. Wish you the best.

OP
PeatBull

PeatBull

What's the frequency of your workouts? How long?

Are you checking temp/pulse?

Are you recording your calories?

Why aren't you drinking milk and eggs?
Tree times per week, sometimes 4.
I did check temp-pulse couple of years ago.
Not recording anything and dont want to be weighting my food everyday.
I dont l8ke milk, and eggs i prefer to eat them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals