Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

TheCalciumCad

Now, if zinc from the soil is depleted as you say wouldn't that make copper toxicity easier to achieve than when the soil was not depleted? Also, I still don't quite get the blue light connection. Daylight is quite rich in blue light, which is why it's not the best idea for the evening, but I don't get how that would affect vitamin A in any way.

Sunlight is full spectrum light, balance. Which is what we would get if where all picking wild fruits to gorge on all day. Evenings we benefit from real fires or even incandescent lights which mimic the sunrise/sunset spectrum. Most of the people in this thread complaining of VA toxicity get too much screen time and or live in climates with inadequate sunlight.

I assume Zinc deficiency is common and would make copper toxicity easier to achieve but only if you consume lots of high copper foods which are few unless you eat lots of shellfish or liver. I think thats Garretts only real angle with copper, its more a Zinc deficiency as its more important (Zinc is a strong anti viral and viral infections increase Zinc demands which is very relevant post 2020). They compliment each other but excess of either could cause issues. I have heard an ideal ratio is something like 15:1 in favour of Zinc tho I have no idea on testing properly nor am I concerned about it. Selenium and Magnesium are also barren in the soil which Garrett always notes are low in his client testing.

View: https://twitter.com/Beteljuice/status/1409292440150757377

View: https://twitter.com/KruseYouri/status/1508348184556290049

InChristAlone

I’ve been thinking for quite a while that all the different and escalating modern challenges are making things that used to be fine a potential burden. I’m sure everyone’s situation is slightly unique but we all have quite a bit in common too. A few of the possible contributors are pharmaceuticals, glyphosate, blue light, supplements, year round access to unseasonal foods, vaccines and I’m sure there are many other things that could be added to the list. I was listening to an anthropologist last week who said he was surprised we are coping as well as we are as a species because our lives are so drastically different from what it was for most of our history.
You can say that again!

Vanset

One thing, in my case, that sticks out like a sore thumb is that in the past 3-4 years, under the influence of Ray Peat and the whole pro-metabolic community, I have eaten quite a bit of eggs, full fat dairy, liver, and at the same time I have been becoming drier and drier as time goes. This is the most evident with my increasingly dry and bloodshot eyes and dry forehead. Now dry skin in my opinion is the worst thing ever. Facial skin should be nice and oily, but without acne. My TSH hovers around 0.9-1.3. I still haven't tested my serum retinol, because it's for whatever reason pretty pricey here and I need a lot of money right now as I'm moving. Since today I will be trying an elimination and low vitamin A diet of only meat and basmati rice that will last until the end of september. Fatty/lean beef and lean pork loin. If anything interesting happens I will report back. If nothing changes I will report as well.

Serge

I've just started reading the thread, in what way is milk considered a powerful source of vitamin A? I look at different sites and can't find very high content of retinol or carotin in milk.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've just started reading the thread, in what way is milk considered a powerful source of vitamin A? I look at different sites and can't find very high content of retinol or carotin in milk.
Grant has hypothesized that it’s hidden in the casein protein. I think he may be planning on trying to get it adequately tested at some point but I haven’t stayed up with the latest so hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

InChristAlone

I'm starting to think Grant and Garret Smith have low cholinesterase/high acetylcholine, which makes it hard to eliminate esters and plant toxins. Check out my post on it: Acetylcholinesterase info (nightshade sensitivity)

Also explains why that dude in the beginning of this thread I believe his name was Frank? would claim that he got vitamin A poisoning symptoms from one meal of pizza. Nightshades are cholinesterase inhibitors. Here are some symptoms:
  • -Tiredness, general malaise after anesthesia
  • -Allergic reactions up to shortness of breath (anaphylaxis)
  • -Food intolerances , especially potatoes, peppers, tomatoes and the like
  • -Neurological symptoms such as nerve paralysis, tingling and burning, muscle weakness, tremors, spasms, and more
  • -Stiff neck
Many who have eczema have systemic inflammation from allergies. I'm not saying vitamin A toxicity doesn't cause eczema, but having a meal of something with a lot of beta carotene for instance shouldn't cause a flare of eczema unless it was something else, our liver can handle very large amounts of vitamin A. Grant and Garrett are on a permanent elimination diet. Many reddit threads on the eczema sub claim complete remission of eczema on carnivore based diets which don't have to be keto some use fruits. It's basically an extreme elimination diet. Many people consume nightshades on a daily basis, that means a build up of acetylcholine.

InChristAlone

Sounds interesting, @sugarbabe. Personally, while I have trouble with a number of the foods listed I don't seem to have any problem with potatoes.
The solanine is in the peel so if you only consume well peeled potatoes you probably won't notice much unless the sensitivity is severe.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm starting to think Grant and Garret Smith have low cholinesterase/high acetylcholine, which makes it hard to eliminate esters and plant toxins. Check out my post on it: Acetylcholinesterase info (nightshade sensitivity)

Also explains why that dude in the beginning of this thread I believe his name was Frank? would claim that he got vitamin A poisoning symptoms from one meal of pizza. Nightshades are cholinesterase inhibitors. Here are some symptoms:
  • -Tiredness, general malaise after anesthesia
  • -Allergic reactions up to shortness of breath (anaphylaxis)
  • -Food intolerances , especially potatoes, peppers, tomatoes and the like
  • -Neurological symptoms such as nerve paralysis, tingling and burning, muscle weakness, tremors, spasms, and more
  • -Stiff neck
Many who have eczema have systemic inflammation from allergies. I'm not saying vitamin A toxicity doesn't cause eczema, but having a meal of something with a lot of beta carotene for instance shouldn't cause a flare of eczema unless it was something else, our liver can handle very large amounts of vitamin A. Grant and Garrett are on a permanent elimination diet. Many reddit threads on the eczema sub claim complete remission of eczema on carnivore based diets which don't have to be keto some use fruits. It's basically an extreme elimination diet. Many people consume nightshades on a daily basis, that means a build up of acetylcholine.
Good post and point about it being an elimination diet. Grant’s case still seems to indicate the possibility that the original vitamin A science could have been flawed.

InChristAlone

Good post and point about it being an elimination diet. Grant’s case still seems to indicate the possibility that the original vitamin A science could have been flawed.
Yeah I'm not discounting that he has done a lot of research to show vitamin A isn't as necessary as we thought.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yeah I'm not discounting that he has done a lot of research to show vitamin A isn't as necessary as we thought.
You’re right that there’s more going on than simply vitamin A and immediate intolerance reactions do point to something else. I like your thinking on acetylcholine and night shades. I see a bit of that in myself.

Vanset

You’re right that there’s more going on than simply vitamin A and immediate intolerance reactions do point to something else. I like your thinking on acetylcholine and night shades. I see a bit of that in myself.
Hi Blossom, I have a question for you. I remember reading one of your posts back from 2018 about your use of eggshell powder as a calcium source. Do you still do that? How did that work out for you?

InChristAlone

Nathan Hatch of "**** portion control" (not on the forum anymore I guess?) also made the connection with nightshades and acetylcholine:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi Blossom, I have a question for you. I remember reading one of your posts back from 2018 about your use of eggshell powder as a calcium source. Do you still do that? How did that work out for you?
Yes, I still use them and have never noticed any problems whatsoever.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Very nice. Thank you.
You’re welcome. Here’s my stash.
ED017877-80D5-4833-AA97-EF831DD181B3.jpeg
63FD6C29-8A25-42A4-A431-B2CC0EBF8CEB.jpeg

Vanset

I have just started, had one gram with my dinner and haven't noticed anything negative so that's great. Does the powder eventually go bad in your experience? I have noticed it has a peculiar smell, but doesn't taste like anything at all. Was wondering if I will have to throw away some extra once in a while and make a fresh batch.

edit: looking at how much you have I guess it doesn't really go bad.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have just started, had one gram with my dinner and haven't noticed anything negative so that's great. Does the powder eventually go bad in your experience? I have noticed it has a peculiar smell, but doesn't taste like anything at all. Was wondering if I will have to throw away some extra once in a while and make a fresh batch.

edit: looking at how much you have I guess it doesn't really go bad.
I have never had the eggshell powder go bad. I’ve been using it for about 8 years. I do boil the shells and dry them in the oven before I grind them. I also make sure my hands are clean when I’m handling them but other than that I don’t do anything special.

aniciete

I have never had the eggshell powder go bad. I’ve been using it for about 8 years. I do boil the shells and dry them in the oven before I grind them. I also make sure my hands are clean when I’m handling them but other than that I don’t do anything special.
How do you consume it? Just mix it into food or water?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals