Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Low Vitamin A Diet Testimonials

Discussion in 'Testimonials' started by Blossom, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

I'm starting this thread for people to write about their experiences both good and bad on a low vitamin A/Carotene diet. I will attempt to move the existing testimonies to this thread over the next couple of days but in the meantime feel free to share your experiences.

Disclaimer: This is a non-Peat topic in the sense that Peat has never advised a low A diet at least not to my knowledge. This topic was suggested by numerous members and inspired originally by Grant Genereux's research on vitamin A and curing his own autoimmune and chronic kidney disease.
    Enjoy

2. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

3. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

4. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

5. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

6. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

7. Dolomite

Dolomite Member

I gradually removed OJ and raw carrot from my diet over a week. It has only been three weeks since starting to lower all vitamin A and carotene foods. My intestines are so much calmer, my face is smoother and I don’t need any added moisturizer even though I use salicylic acid soap. My sinuses feel less inflamed. I thought I was getting rosacea but I don’t think I will now. I am 63 and like many have tried many diets but continued to feel more inflamed no matter what. I was informed I have a cataract in one eye last fall. I thought it might be from excessive lactose free milk consumption and too much galactose. But now I wonder if it was from Vitamin A added to the low fat milk. Removing gluten from my diet in 2010 helped in many ways but this has been better for my gut.

8. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

@Dolomite, congratulations. Grant wrote about improvements in his cataracts. I hope that happens for you too. I'm personally enjoying the dramatically lower inflammation.

9. Mountain

Mountain Member

You should go out on the streets and collect any random person's testimony because most people actually eat ***t all vitamin A. Seriously, put a normal person's diet into cronometer and have a look at the pitiful amounts of vitamin A that they consume. And yet they all suffer from rheumatism of some kind eventually.

These noted benefits are probably from people who have a dairy allergy.

10. Dolomite

Dolomite Member

@Blossom Thank you. I do hope this arrests the cataract development or makes it go away. It was disturbing to find out when I thought I was doing everything right.

@Mountain I suppose it could be an allergy to milk but my husband who never consumed milk except in the form of a half cup of yogurt at the most is also feeling better. I do have true allergies to mollusks in the form of bivalves like clams and oysters and to poison ivy. I was able to eat clams until I was a teenager so I was able to observe the big reaction. I am uncertain how a milk allergy can muddle along without causing obvious effects for 63 years.

11. RobertJM

RobertJM Member

What has been eliminated from your diet to avoid vitamin A? Eggs, liver, dairy and OJ could be causing anyone ongoing problems without them even realising, and elimination could make them feel like a new person. Even the carrot salad is quite harsh as it slides through the gut (I find, anyway).

12. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

Mine or Dolomite’s?

13. somuch4food

somuch4food Member

It's hidden in many ways in processed foods as milk and egg ingredients, natural food coloring, herbs and spices. It should not be forgotten that milk and flour is fortified with it in the US.

It could also be that retinol receptors are overactivated since they have many agonists beside vit A.

Even Ray mentions that hypothyroid people don't require much A. So, it could be that A makes a healthy person stronger and sick person weaker.

14. RobertJM

RobertJM Member

Sorry I meant yours. I know you’ve been at this game a while (Peat) so just wondering how you see it.

15. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

Well it was difficult to consider that it might be true for me since I had apparently misunderstood what I’d read from Peat and thought I needed to pay attention to getting abundant Vitamin A as a building block for my hormones. In all fairness to myself I was very sick when I learned about Peat so I can see where I wasn’t understanding the nuances in his writing fully. It’s on me that I made that mistake.

I personally think that vitamin A supplements should be approached with great caution and fortified foods should avoided if at all possible by nearly everyone.

Most people who haven’t over done it with vitamin A and have good health and thyroid function shouldn’t need to be concerned with eating foods that naturally have some vitamin A and beta carotene. For people that have mysterious, nagging health issues that they can’t seem to make headway with it’s probably not a bad idea to consider if they are getting too much of it. Ultimately each person has to figure that out for themselves though.

ETA: To answer your original question- I stopped dairy, liver, carrots, OJ and supplements.

16. sugarbabe

sugarbabe Member

Some have disproven the dairy allergy. For others maybe it could be factor. But what causes an allergy? A messed up immune system that is recognizing the proteins in dairy to be bad. What causes immune system problems? Maybe if we answered that question we wouldn't just write it off.

17. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

When you really stop and think about things it's apparent that many people have problems with dairy and other foods these days. Most of what is available in the U.S. doesn't even resemble the foods our grandparents consumed. Sure people had issues in the past but I think the 1970's with implementation of fortifying dairy and the increase in the use of glyphosate really took things to a whole new level. Gradually foods that people ate fine for hundreds and even thousands of years are now sadly a problem for lots of people. I don't think people have changed much but our food certainly has.

18. sugarbabe

sugarbabe Member

Yeah our environment and food supply has changed drastically in 100 years. Not to mention the number of vaccines people are getting now. Eggs are another common allergy and it could be because of vaccines! And also the amount of soy in the diets of chickens, cows and pigs.

19. OP
    Blossom

Blossom Moderator

So true! What a mess. I don't believe natural is always best but when you consider the impact of fortification, vaccines, supplements, medications and farming practices the synergy of it all combined seems to have caused some problems for quite a few people who otherwise most likely would have been fine.

20. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

From one of the Ray Peat Facebook pages:

"I promised to report back on our low/no A (retinol and beta carotene) results. We’ve been restricting A for nearly 4 months. My husband and I are still seeing gradual improvement. My fibromyalgia has greatly improved. We have both had colds for a few weeks, which is likely nature’s way of depleting too much circulating retinol. My daughter is also doing low A. She is seeing great improvement in her skin, and her fussy baby is also seeing improvement. Probably the most dramatic improvement has been my niece’s toddler. She has always been clingy, bashful, never smiling, always whiny. I saw her a few days ago, and she was a different child. She was happy, interacting with everyone with smiles and giggles, and I never saw her on her mom’s lap even once! I’m going to continue low A for at least a year. The older you are and the more fish oil and other high A foods you’ve consumed, the longer it takes to bring the levels back down to safe amounts. Make no mistake...circulating retinol (retinoic acid - think Accutane) WILL wreak havoc in your body. Your liver will protect you from it until it reaches capacity, then the suffering begins. (PS. We’ve been Peating for seven years.)"