The Vitamin A Elimination Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

franko

This is a thread for those interested in experimenting with a Vitamin A Elimination Diet based on the Vitamin A theory of Grant Genereux, I figured it'd be good to have a thread just about questions related to the dietary experiment: which foods to eat, which to avoid, meal suggestions, etc.

If you don't know why someone would want to try this, see this post for a summary of the theory:
https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/grant-genereuxs-theory-of-vitamin-a-toxicity.24722/

Or go straight to the original source and read Grant's blog.

It's a pretty simple experiment: just eat food that doesn't have Vitamin A (i.e. animal-based retinol and plant-based precursors like carotenoids). Or, if you just want to go Low VA, then eat as little VA as you can.

Details of Grant's personal diet can be found in chapter 13 of his second book, Poisoning for Profits.

postman

Some people worship Ray like a God.

Anyways, this thread was disappointing, I was hoping to see a long list.

nwo2012

It is a RP forum. Personally if i was a mod id boot people like this off. You dont have to agree with RP just go somewhere else because to do otherwise is a troll by definition.

cyclops

It is a RP forum. Personally if i was a mod id boot people like this off. You dont have to agree with RP just go somewhere else because to do otherwise is a troll by definition.

We definitely do want to hear conflicting theories and viewpoints when they are well thought out because through debate we may learn new helpful information.

I do think the other thread @franko created on this exact subject was enough though.

nwo2012

Some people worship Ray like a God.

If you dont agree with RP then why are you here?
Sorry but being in a forum dedicated to someone you dont agree with makes you either a troll or similar, it rea
We definitely do want to hear conflicting theories and viewpoints when they are well thought out because though debate we may learn new helpful information.

I do think the other thread Franko created on this exact subject was enough though.

Thats my point. Now its like an axe to grind. Look i wouldnt go to a vegan forum and push eating meat it is trolling. Dont come to RP forum and post threads about some fat chumps antipeat diets etc. Troll.

postman

If you dont agree with RP then why are you here?
Sorry but being in a forum dedicated to someone you dont agree with makes you either a troll or similar, it rea

Thats my point. Now its like an axe to grind. Look i wouldnt go to a vegan forum and push eating meat it is trolling. Dont come to RP forum and post threads about some fat chumps antipeat diets etc. Troll.
One thread about this is probably enough. But some of you people act like your mothers have been insulted when someone questions one single idea Ray has ever had. Like really, you're gonna accuse people of being paid for asking for studies proving that retinol is required for life? Sickening. Grant is not even anti-peat. He's questioning one single idea. In fact his example diet is pufa-deficient, probably yet another reason it made him feel good. Literally less pufa in his diet than what most people on this forum eat

sunraiser

One thread about this is probably enough. But some of you people act like your mothers have been insulted when someone questions one single idea Ray has ever had. Like really, you're gonna accuse people of being paid for asking for studies proving that retinol is required for life? Sickening. Grant is not even anti-peat. He's questioning one single idea. In fact his example diet is pufa-deficient, probably yet another reason it made him feel good. Literally less pufa in his diet than what most people on this forum eat

Ray Peat didn't decide vitamin A was necessary for light absorption in the eye, for mitochondrial health, progesterone production, copper and iron metabolism, sufficient vitamin D and K and therefore calcium and magnesium status, proper zinc uptake, phosphorous regulation, and I'm sure hundreds of other functions.

That isn't RP, that's concensus on how we currently understand the human body to work through observation and study.

This isn't like pharmaceuticals or other therapeutic interventions where opinion is divided, and it's also backed up by millions of examples of human anecdotal experience.

It's important to challenge the status quo so I don't begrudge the notion, however I'm not going to read the books because I know how necessary vitamin A is from my own personal experiences.

I don't believe anyone should supplement vitamin A and liver should be approached carefully and never eaten if not enjoyed, and as part of a varied non restrictive-orthorexic diet.

I have learned from some of RP's articles but completely disagree with his dietary and lifestyle conclusions in practice. This is not a Ray Peat thing it's a way to balance perspective and make sure sick, scared, exhausted people that lurk the forums don't fall into another dietary fear.

To OP, I mentioned some of the established roles of vitamin A above. Does the book directly address these things and how they function without vitamin A? I mean a direct and compelling response...

I think your stubbornness and desperation to feel well are clouding your good judgement here. Don't let yourself get sicker because of it.

mipp

A long list of foods that don't contain vitamin A in some form? That's not going to happen, I'm afraid.
My vitamin A elimination diet consisted of white rice, lean meat, mushrooms, celery root sald. Later when I got tired of eating rice in every meal I added pasta (made from white, common wheat flour, not durum) potatoes (choosing varieties with white flesh), oats, peanuts (some PUFA, but I was getting desperate)

postman

A long list of foods that don't contain vitamin A in some form? That's not going to happen, I'm afraid.
My vitamin A elimination diet consisted of white rice, lean meat, mushrooms, celery root sald. Later when I got tired of eating rice in every meal I added pasta (made from white, common wheat flour, not durum) potatoes (choosing varieties with white flesh), oats, peanuts (some PUFA, but I was getting desperate)

So did u notice any benefits

mipp

So did u notice any benefits
No, removing vit A completely from my diet didn't make much difference. didn't affect my dermatitis. If anything, it made my skin worse. I'm glad I tried it though, it's a good starting point for future experiments.

nwo2012

Calling someone a troll was probably a bit of an over-reaction by me, but I didnt say anywhere he was paid.
I guess if this fat guy (not thread poster, this wannabe researcher) had said some should be careful with vit A I wouldnt have reacted that way but calling it a toxin, well thats a'downright lie. There would not be diseases caused by a deficiency of a toxin yet there are many, proven, conditions from a lack of vit A.

InChristAlone

Ray Peat didn't decide vitamin A was necessary for light absorption in the eye, for mitochondrial health, progesterone production, copper and iron metabolism, sufficient vitamin D and K and therefore calcium and magnesium status, proper zinc uptake, phosphorous regulation, and I'm sure hundreds of other functions.

That isn't RP, that's concensus on how we currently understand the human body to work through observation and study.

This isn't like pharmaceuticals or other therapeutic interventions where opinion is divided, and it's also backed up by millions of examples of human anecdotal experience.

It's important to challenge the status quo so I don't begrudge the notion, however I'm not going to read the books because I know how necessary vitamin A is from my own personal experiences.

I don't believe anyone should supplement vitamin A and liver should be approached carefully and never eaten if not enjoyed, and as part of a varied non restrictive-orthorexic diet.

I have learned from some of RP's articles but completely disagree with his dietary and lifestyle conclusions in practice. This is not a Ray Peat thing it's a way to balance perspective and make sure sick, scared, exhausted people that lurk the forums don't fall into another dietary fear.

To OP, I mentioned some of the established roles of vitamin A above. Does the book directly address these things and how they function without vitamin A? I mean a direct and compelling response...

I think your stubbornness and desperation to feel well are clouding your good judgement here. Don't let yourself get sicker because of it.
:clap::10:

dbh25

The diet he recommends is basically how most people eat anyway i.e. no organ meats, low in milk and eggs (because people believe these will give them heart disease), not eating many salads (because they taste bad) and most adults barely eat any fruit. Yet they still suffer from autoimmune conditions, osteoporosis, etc, which vitamin A supposedly causes. Why?
Yes, why?

dbh25

Compared to the many videos of dogs excitedly eating raw meat and bone, there are very few videos on youtube of dogs eating raw liver, and in the few that do exist I have yet to see a dog excited to eat offer of raw liver.
More solid scientific data

Status
Not open for further replies.