Gout May Protect From Alzheimers

haidut

Forum Supporter
Again, as per Ray's writings, it appears uric acid is protective for the brain. It is already well-known that people with gout never develop conditions like MS and Lupus.

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/ ... ase-153750

"...Gout appears to have a protective effect for the brain, possibly thanks to uric acid, the chemical in a person's blood that can crystallize, leading to gout, said a team of researchers from north America. Gout, the most common inflammatory arthritis, is linked to a higher risk of heart and kidney problems and their resulting health issues, but previous studies have theorised that the antioxidant properties of uric acid may protect against the development or progression of neurodegenerative conditions such as Parkinson's disease (PD)."

paymanz

to have more uric acid we just need more protein right?
what about urine therapy?! ;)

Again, as per Ray's writings, it appears uric acid is protective for the brain. It is already well-known that people with gout never develop conditions like MS and Lupus.

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/ ... ase-153750

"...Gout appears to have a protective effect for the brain, possibly thanks to uric acid, the chemical in a person's blood that can crystallize, leading to gout, said a team of researchers from north America. Gout, the most common inflammatory arthritis, is linked to a higher risk of heart and kidney problems and their resulting health issues, but previous studies have theorised that the antioxidant properties of uric acid may protect against the development or progression of neurodegenerative conditions such as Parkinson's disease (PD)."

@haidut, what if the gout is causing you pain in your joints? i think i may have given myself gout. i was eating only red meat, soda, liver, oysters, for around a week or two, and since then, ive had painful joints whenever i take thyroid. then, it reappears when i eat sugar like oranges. it's really annoying, i don't know what the cause is.

paymanz

i know an old man around 80 year old , he has gout and some times his toe swelling like a tennis ball, but his skin is like a 30 year old man and his memory is also really good.

but yes the pain is serious! im so interest to know how we can have high level urea and without it getting crystallize , at least one cause of it is inflammation ,right?

Last edited:

dookie

already well-known that people with gout never develop conditions like MS and Lupus.

It seems to lower to risk, but I wouldn't say they "never" develop these conditions.

Multiple Sclerosis Patients Less Susceptible to Gout in Study - Multiple Sclerosis News Today

BMC Neurology

Same with Alzheimer. Gout protects a bit, but not to an absolute degree

"They found there was a 24% lower risk of Alzheimer's disease amongst people with a history of gout"
Gout Linked To Lower Chances Of Developing Alzheimer's Disease

Simonsays

The pain is incredible, just the merest touch from a bed sheet can set it off. I crashed the car once as i couldnt operate the pedals! ( I get it in the big toe, usually when diet high in rich foods and protein, Xmas when i would also have outbreak of mouth herpes simplex , that is linked to Alzheimers?

People who suffer gout are told to avoid aspirin but not other anti inflammatories, i never knew why, is it blood thinning qualities? I was given Colchicine?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ideonaut

I read an article in the early 70's that argued there is a positive correlation between gout and ambition/accomplishment. Benjamin Franklin and Goethe had it.

Simonsays

I read somewhere the link to Uric Acid is not as obvious as it seems.

As those who suffer it, have high levels, but there are many people who dont suffer from it, also have high levels??

Simonsays

I read an article in the early 70's that argued there is a positive correlation between gout and ambition/accomplishment. Benjamin Franklin and Goethe had it.

Lol,, those 70s studies!! Was the vegetable oil , low heart disease from the 70s?

Maybe i have the rare no ambition/accomplishment form of anti gout, gout??

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
It seems to lower to risk, but I wouldn't say they "never" develop these conditions.

Multiple Sclerosis Patients Less Susceptible to Gout in Study - Multiple Sclerosis News Today

BMC Neurology

Same with Alzheimer. Gout protects a bit, but not to an absolute degree

"They found there was a 24% lower risk of Alzheimer's disease amongst people with a history of gout"
Gout Linked To Lower Chances Of Developing Alzheimer's Disease

The gout and MS mutual exclusion was the inspiration to use inosine as treatment for MS as it raises uric acid levels to the point of "goutness". If you ask neurologists, they will tell you that there is no recorded case of a patient with both active MS and gout. One of the "conditions" has to be in remission for the other to flare up. Keep in mind that unlike gout, MS is not really definitively diagnosable and can mysteriously disappear and reappear. So, many people get diagnosed with MS when in fact it is an isolated demyelinating event that heals on its own. It's almost like cancer - cancer cells appear all the time and get subdued by the immune system of a healthy person. If that person was unlucky enough to see that doctor at a certain time they will get the dreaded diagnosis even though they would likely be fine if left alone. Multiple sclerosis is a "syndrome", not really a well-defined disease.
[Uric acid and multiple sclerosis]. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Epidemiological studies have shown that MS and gout are almost mutually exclusive diseases. Uric acid levels in MS patients are lower than in controls and in patients with active disease lower than in MS patients in remission. Inosine, a uric acid precursor, can be used to raise uric acid levels in serum and may provide some benefit in MS patients. A small study of ten patients with progressive MS has demonstrated some improved function in three of them and no sign of progression or relapse in the other. However, this study does not justify a recommendation for use of inosine in MS patients yet. At present, uric acid can solely be regarded as a marker of disease activity in MS. In addition, the current knowledge of uric acid and MS supports hypotheses which predict a positive effect of radical scavengers in MS."

Uric acid, a natural scavenger of peroxynitrite, in experimental allergic encephalomyelitis and multiple sclerosis. - PubMed - NCBI
[Uric acid as a scavenger in oxidative stress]. - PubMed - NCBI
"...It was shown, that patients with multiple sclerosis had significantly lower levels of serum uric acid than the control persons. In addition, statistical evaluation of more than 20 million patient records for the incidence of MS and hyperuricemic gout revealed, that the hyperuricemia may protect against MS."

Speaking of isolated demyelinating events - many things can trigger them, including viral infections and even vaccines.
Vaccinations and multiple sclerosis. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Several hundred cases of an acute central demyelinating event following HB vaccination were reported to the pharmacovigilance unit, leading to a modification of vaccination policy in the schools and the initiation of several studies designed to examine the possible relationship between the vaccine and the central demyelinating events. The results of these studies failed to establish the causality of the HB vaccine. Nevertheless, molecular mimicry between HB antigen(s) and one or more myelin proteins, or a non-specific activation of autoreactive lymphocytes, could constitute possible pathogenetic mechanisms for these adverse neurological events."

Texon

@haidut, what if the gout is causing you pain in your joints? i think i may have given myself gout. i was eating only red meat, soda, liver, oysters, for around a week or two, and since then, ive had painful joints whenever i take thyroid. then, it reappears when i eat sugar like oranges. it's really annoying, i don't know what the cause is.
I know this is an old post but did you ever solve this mystery?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals