Vinegar may protect against Alzheimer's disease

aliml

Acetic acid is a short-chain fatty acids. It makes up approximately 4 to 20 percent of vinegar. Urinary excretion of acetone (a ketone body) is increased in dogs and rats after acetic acid feeding. Acetone is a spontaneous breakdown product of the ketone bodies acetoacetate and β-hydroxybutyrate. Therefore, acetic acid is probably ketogenic and has benefits for Alzheimer's disease.

Acetoacetate Improves Memory in Alzheimer's Mice via Promoting Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor and Inhibiting Inflammation​

The ketone bodies, especially the β-hydroxybutyrate, had been shown to modulate the function of the central nervous system and prevent the pathological progression of Alzheimer's disease (AD). However, little is known about the role of acetoacetate in the AD brain. Thus, we intraventricularly injected acetoacetate into familial AD mice (APPSWE) for 14 days and monitored their memory and biochemical changes. During the behavior test, acetoacetate at 100 mg/kg led to significant improvement in both Y-maze and novel object recognition tests (NORTs) (both P < .05), indicating ameliorating spatial and recognition memory, respectively. Biomedical tests revealed two mechanisms were involved. Firstly, acetoacetate inhibited the GPR43-pERK pathway, which led to apparent inhibition in tumor necrosis factor-α and Interleukin-6 expression in the hippocampus in a concentration-dependent manner. Secondarily, acetoacetate stimulated the expression of hippocampal brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). We concluded that acetoacetate could ameliorate AD symptoms and exhibited promising features as a therapeutic for AD.

Acetic Acid Bacteria Supplements that Possibly Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease​

By covalently modifying Hsp70.1 with dual functions of recycling damaged/aged proteins and stabilizing the lysosomal membrane, ‘hydroxynonenal’, which derive from ω-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid-rich vegetable oils (exogenous), and from membrane phospholipids and low density lipoprotein (intrinsic), may play crucial roles in the occurrence of Alzheimer’s neuronal death. Aldehyde dehydrogenase is known to participate in the removal of not only ethanol-derived acetaldehyde, but also ω-6 fatty acid-derived ‘hydroxynonenal’. Here, using acetic acid bacteria as supplements with the enzyme activity of aldehyde dehydrogenase, the author perspectively reviews the most reliable preventative strategy for Alzheimer’s disease.

Ameliorative effects of apple cider vinegar on neurological complications via regulation of oxidative stress markers​

Dementia linked with cognitive impairments is the most prominent indication of Alzheimer's disease (AD). In the current investigation, we have examined the streptozotocin- (STZ) induced cellular toxicity in mouse neuroblastoma (N2A) cells, and Zn with the high-fat diet- (HFD) induced neurotoxicity in mouse brain. These cells and animals were pretreated with apple cider vinegar (ACV), Chrysin, and Rivastigmine to examine their protection against cellular toxicity and neurotoxicity. Experiments have affirmed that pretreatment of ACV, Chrysin, and Rivastigmine has displayed protective outcomes in MTT reduction, tau phosphorylation, amyloid aggregation, attenuated memory impairment as well as oxidative stress, and protected cholinergic hippocampal neurons from degeneration. ACV showed better antioxidant and neuroprotection potential as compared with Chrysin and Rivastigmine. So the existence of excitatory/inhibitory enzymatic activity and higher antioxidant potential indicate that ACV, as a food beverage in a regular diet, could be promising and effective against neurological complications such as AD. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS: In the Urban lifestyle, HFD and stress are the critical factors of various chronic and prevalent diseases, including diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular, and neurodegenerative disorders like AD. We are already familiar with the multiple benefits of ACV, such as weight loss, antimicrobial activity, diabetes, skin disorders. So in the current research work, we have gauged the effectiveness of ACV against neurological complications in comparison with a synthetic flavonoid (Chrysin) and an anti-Alzheimer's drug (Rivastigmine). To enhance the pragmatic orientation of our results, we have used the ACV in our study, which is readily available in the market for domestic consumption. All the cellular, biochemical, behavioral, and histopathological data revealed that ACV had high antioxidant potential. Our findings suggest that the addition of ACV as a food additive in the daily diet may reduce the threat of multiple neurodegenerative diseases. Therefore, our study could be the precursor of a new pharmacological therapeutic approach via ACV toward cognitive impairments associated with Alzheimer's disease.

David PS

Vinegar is a many splendored thing. I has withstood the test of time. I have incorporated it into my life.

drdeb Ph.D.

Forum Supporter
Acetic acid is a short-chain fatty acids. It makes up approximately 4 to 20 percent of vinegar. Urinary excretion of acetone (a ketone body) is increased in dogs and rats after acetic acid feeding. Acetone is a spontaneous breakdown product of the ketone bodies acetoacetate and β-hydroxybutyrate. Therefore, acetic acid is probably ketogenic and has benefits for Alzheimer's disease.
This is a fascinating study that potentially provides
This is a fascinating finding for a terrible condition that affects so many. Cynical me sees Big Pharma coming out with vinegar pills and of course many other ingredients. I enjoy Braggs vinegar mixed with slightly heated coconut oil as a dip for my daily raw organic carrots.

akgrrrl

Vinegar is a many splendored thing. I has withstood the test of time. I have incorporated it into my life.
Yes indeed me too. Now a hot cup of boiling water with a TB vinegar, dash of cayenne and raw honey is comforting. It wasnt always like that.

David PS

Yes indeed me too. Now a hot cup of boiling water with a TB vinegar, dash of cayenne and raw honey is comforting. It wasnt always like that.

It sounds like a healthy drink. The combination of vinegar and medical grade honey has been found to have some surprising properties.

akgrrrl

It sounds like a healthy drink. The combination of vinegar and medical grade honey has been found to have some surprising properties.

[URL

Oh good find. Been drinking it that way 30yrs. Lucky me a beekeeper nearby that doesnt even filter, you get the bees knees and all.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals