Human study - vitamin B1 safe & effective for preventing & treating Alzheimer Disease (AD)

magnesiumania

I use Ecological Formulas at the moment as i just prefer to take halv a cap which is 25mg but it has silica and id prefer to use Thiamix if i could more easily break the capsule. Not sure how they manage to get a 100mg into that small Thiamax cap.

Mauritio

I use Ecological Formulas at the moment as i just prefer to take halv a cap which is 25mg but it has silica and id prefer to use Thiamix if i could more easily break the capsule. Not sure how they manage to get a 100mg into that small Thiamax cap.
Because there's no bad fillers in there . Ecologocial formulas powder from one capsule (without the capsule itself),weighs 300mg of which 50mg is TTFD ,so you know what the rest is ...

Do you notice any subjective difference from effects / side-effects between ecological formulas vs. Thiamax ?

magnesiumania

No. I suppose the fillers comprise a miniscule side effect below me noticing but i guess it adds uo if you use it consistently.

Mauritio

mostlylurking

Thanks. I forgot to mention the Parkinson studies. I guess they are even stronger corroboration that both AD and PD are just dysregulated glucose metabolism.
I found a study that I think fits in with this discussion: Error - Cookies Turned Off

Acetyl-CoA and acetylcholine metabolism in nerve terminal compartment of thiamine deficient rat brain​

Abstract​

The decrease of pyruvate and ketoglutarate dehydrogenase complex activities is the main cause of energy and acetyl-CoA deficits in thiamine deficiency-evoked cholinergic encephalopathies. However, disturbances in pathways of acetyl-CoA metabolism leading to appearance of cholinergic deficits remain unknown. Therefore, the aim of this work was to investigate alterations in concentration and distribution of acetyl-CoA and in acetylcholine metabolism in brain nerve terminals, caused by thiamine deficits. They were induced by the pyrithiamine, a potent inhibitor of thiamine pyrophosphokinase. The thiamine deficit reduced metabolic fluxes through pyruvate and ketoglutarate dehydrogenase steps, yielding deficits of acetyl-CoA in mitochondrial and cytoplasmic compartments of K-depolarized nerve terminals. It also inhibited indirect transport of acetyl-CoA though ATP-citrate lyase pathway being without effect on its direct Ca-dependent transport to synaptoplasm. Resulting suppression of synaptoplasmic acetyl-CoA correlated with inhibition of quantal acetylcholine release (r = 0.91, p = 0.012). On the other hand, thiamine deficiency activated non-quantal acetylcholine release that was independent of shifts in intraterminal distribution of acetyl-CoA. Choline acetyltransferase activity was not changed by these conditions. These data indicate that divergent alterations in the release of non-quantal and quantal acetylcholine pools from thiamine deficient nerve terminals could be caused by the inhibition of acetyl-CoA and citrate synthesis in their mitochondria. They in turn, caused inhibition of acetyl-CoA transport to the synaptoplasmic compartment through ATP-citrate lyase pathway yielding deficits of cholinergic functions.

Ray Peat talks about acetylcholine being problematic in this article: New Page Title Here People with Alzheimer's Disease tend to have problems with learned helplessness.

Haidut, could you please read Ray's article and also the study linked above and comment? This is a confusing topic for me; I would appreciate you clarifying if possible. Experts disagree whether acetylcholine is "good" or "bad" and whether it should be kept in check or attempts made to increase it. The study above seems to throw a ringer into the topic by saying there's two types of acetylcholine and thiamine deficiency negatively affects the balance of the two. I think.

mamakitty

Yes, especially with prolonged use. Human studies have shown that taking the Hcl orally for a week achieves the same concentrations on the 7th day as the concentrations achieved by the same dose given IV on a single day. If the more lipophilic analogs are used then I'd go with allithiamine ad benfotiamine has been shown to barely reach the brain, and since AD is a brain condition something like allithiamine (which accumulates primarily in the brain) may be a much better option and able to achieve the same results more quickly and at lower doses.
Why does thiamine make me feel really really bad? Like very hypoglycaemic, dizzy, nauseous, and super weak.

magnesiumania

I think some side effects are common initially. You may need a little ectra electrolytes and other b vitamins

nikotrope

Why does thiamine make me feel really really bad? Like very hypoglycaemic, dizzy, nauseous, and super weak.
I used to be able to take thiamine and now feel like you do. Since I get the same symptoms with anything that lowers my potassium it's probably linked to a potassium deficiency. Try to eat more potassium-rich foods. Taurine can also help raise potassium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals