Vitamin B1 as a potential treatment for Alzheimer's Disease (AD)

haidut

Forum Supporter
After decades of denial that AD is a metabolic condition, Big Pharma and Big Govt, are silently doing an 180-degree turn by secretly funding university clinical trials for metabolic interventions in that disease. The study below will evaluate the effects of benfotiamine - a lipophilic analog of thiamine (vitamin B1) - on mild to moderate AD. As the PR page says, there is strong evidence that raising levels of B1 in the brain may be an effective treatment for the less severe forms of the diseases, and the lipophilic analogues of vitamin B1 are known to reliably raise both thiamine and thiamine pyrophosphate levels in the brain. In contrast, most studies with regular thiamine (as the Hcl or nitrate salts) do not demonstrate increases of B1 and active co-factor in the brain, even if the precursors were administered through IV. The human dosage will likely be 300mg twice day.

Burke Neurological Institute Receives a $45 Million NIH Grant to Study a Vitamin B1 Precursor for Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease in Multi-center Clinical Trial

"...Dysfunction in the brain’s ability to metabolize glucose is a known marker of AD and other dementias and can begin decades before a person has clinical symptoms or memory loss. Previous work by Burke Neurological Institute/Weill Cornell Medicine researcher Dr. Gary E. Gibson, who will also be a leader of the upcoming clinical trial, suggested that reduction in glucose metabolism is due to a decline in thiamine-dependent processes. Using multiple experimental models, he and others have shown that increasing thiamine to very high levels via benfotiamine was protective against Alzheimer’s-like symptoms. Dr. Gibson noted, “I am particularly excited about this trial because it will determine how relevant these decades of research are to the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. If our hypothesis is correct, we will advance an exciting investigative clinical treatment pathway relevant for millions of patients, and with potential advantages in safety and value.” These foundational experiments led to a recent pilot study, published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease in 2020 and carried out by Dr. Gibson along with research partners at Weill Cornell Medicine, Burke Rehabilitation Institute, and Columbia University Irving Medical Center. The study suggested a slowed rate of cognitive decline in 35 participants with mild MCI or early AD who took 300-mg benfotiamine pills twice daily, and the treatment was completely safe."

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Incredible. B1 is truly the super vitamin.

OliviaD

After decades of denial that AD is a metabolic condition, Big Pharma and Big Govt, are silently doing an 180-degree turn by secretly funding university clinical trials for metabolic interventions in that disease. The study below will evaluate the effects of benfotiamine - a lipophilic analog of thiamine (vitamin B1) - on mild to moderate AD. As the PR page says, there is strong evidence that raising levels of B1 in the brain may be an effective treatment for the less severe forms of the diseases, and the lipophilic analogues of vitamin B1 are known to reliably raise both thiamine and thiamine pyrophosphate levels in the brain. In contrast, most studies with regular thiamine (as the Hcl or nitrate salts) do not demonstrate increases of B1 and active co-factor in the brain, even if the precursors were administered through IV. The human dosage will likely be 300mg twice day.

Burke Neurological Institute Receives a $45 Million NIH Grant to Study a Vitamin B1 Precursor for Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease in Multi-center Clinical Trial

"...Dysfunction in the brain’s ability to metabolize glucose is a known marker of AD and other dementias and can begin decades before a person has clinical symptoms or memory loss. Previous work by Burke Neurological Institute/Weill Cornell Medicine researcher Dr. Gary E. Gibson, who will also be a leader of the upcoming clinical trial, suggested that reduction in glucose metabolism is due to a decline in thiamine-dependent processes. Using multiple experimental models, he and others have shown that increasing thiamine to very high levels via benfotiamine was protective against Alzheimer’s-like symptoms. Dr. Gibson noted, “I am particularly excited about this trial because it will determine how relevant these decades of research are to the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. If our hypothesis is correct, we will advance an exciting investigative clinical treatment pathway relevant for millions of patients, and with potential advantages in safety and value.” These foundational experiments led to a recent pilot study, published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease in 2020 and carried out by Dr. Gibson along with research partners at Weill Cornell Medicine, Burke Rehabilitation Institute, and Columbia University Irving Medical Center. The study suggested a slowed rate of cognitive decline in 35 participants with mild MCI or early AD who took 300-mg benfotiamine pills twice daily, and the treatment was completely safe."
Interesting. While anecdotal, some MDs have been recommending B1 for patients with dementia for awhile now. A friend told me she noticed a significant improvement in her mother (with simple thiamine HCL) while she was taking it.

Last edited:

jaype

I took the HCL form -300mg daily but didnt really feel anything. Mostly took it for its supposedly nootropics benefits but maybe my dose was too low.

I'll try benfotiamine sometime

LeeLemonoil

I took the HCL form -300mg daily but didnt really feel anything. Mostly took it for its supposedly nootropics benefits but maybe my dose was too low.

I'll try benfotiamine sometime
The Dose was too high is more likely

h.c.

The study suggested a slowed rate of cognitive decline in 35 participants with mild MCI or early AD who took 300-mg benfotiamine pills twice daily, and the treatment was completely safe."
Thanks for the study.

Note: That dose ist for beginners... some mice studies go, converted to humans, up to the approx range of 6-9 g / day and there results are different from the halve of it. Dont have the one study at hand which I have read. Also Flox'ed people report good things about Benfo.

Important is: Benfothiamine, not Thiamine. Benfo is different in its pharmacology! An other interesting and more brain-bioavailable candidate is Sulbuthiamine - but this is much harder to obtain.

yerrag

When I was very sick last year, I had one of the rare times of having a headache.

Since I was very very acidic as manifested in very acidic urine and saliva, I wasn't surprised to see my breathing rate go up to 22 per minute, which indicated very acidic blood. I suspected my blood to be full of lactic acid causing the high acidity, with little room for CO2 and carbonic acid in blood. This would restrict tissue oxygenation and I suspect very little oxygen was getting into my brain, causing the headache.

I took 1000mg thiamine HCl that morning and by late afternoon, my breathing rate had gone down to 16, and my headache was gone.

As @haidut had posted about the use of thiamine in ERs for lactic acidemia to convert lactic acid to glucose using the Cori Cycle in the liver, I experienced firsthand thiamine working in this manner.

I think that because thiamine helps improve tissue oxygenation and thus improves sugar metabolism as well in the brain, it would also help prevent Alzheimer's disease,

OliviaD

When I was very sick last year, I had one of the rare times of having a headache.

Since I was very very acidic as manifested in very acidic urine and saliva, I wasn't surprised to see my breathing rate go up to 22 per minute, which indicated very acidic blood. I suspected my blood to be full of lactic acid causing the high acidity, with little room for CO2 and carbonic acid in blood. This would restrict tissue oxygenation and I suspect very little oxygen was getting into my brain, causing the headache.

I took 1000mg thiamine HCl that morning and by late afternoon, my breathing rate had gone down to 16, and my headache was gone.

As @haidut had posted about the use of thiamine in ERs for lactic acidemia to convert lactic acid to glucose using the Cori Cycle in the liver, I experienced firsthand thiamine working in this manner.

I think that because thiamine helps improve tissue oxygenation and thus improves sugar metabolism as well in the brain, it would also help prevent Alzheimer's disease,
This is very interesting, thank you. I have read a lot of reports in the past couple years on forums for people using thiamine for neurological problems - m.s, parkinson’s. Many had amazing benefits using thiamine Hcl, and whatever cheap version they picked up. Some ppl even report that works better than the “fancy forms”.

Last april/may i started taking thiamine mononitrate 100mg, nianicinamide 50mg or less, 3 salted duck eggs, lots of wild bittergourd.

I started taking these because i stop levothyroxine. So far im past the adjustment stage of brainfog. Its still not perfect but more comfortable. Im dosing if i need to up my b1.

AspiringSage

I’ve got some Russian injectable thiamine. I don’t believe I am deficient per say. My interest is primarily metabolic and perhaps nootropic.

Can anyone read Russian?

ETA: I need to get some filter needles.

Attachments

• 1AF5DAB5-8E6F-4F1F-998B-79A9B7D9D17E.jpeg
    1AF5DAB5-8E6F-4F1F-998B-79A9B7D9D17E.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 25219438-799F-4EC7-8484-88883865B059.jpeg
    25219438-799F-4EC7-8484-88883865B059.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 16
  • B21DA01A-D4DA-4BDC-B53D-C663767C18EB.jpeg
    B21DA01A-D4DA-4BDC-B53D-C663767C18EB.jpeg
    856.6 KB · Views: 16

NewACC

Last april/may i started taking thiamine mononitrate 100mg, nianicinamide 50mg or less, 3 salted duck eggs, lots of wild bittergourd.

I started taking these because i stop levothyroxine. So far im past the adjustment stage of brainfog. Its still not perfect but more comfortable. Im dosing if i need to up my b1.
Using mononitrate form of thiamine is contrproductive for mind fog. Just use sulbu- or benfo- thiamine

Ismail

hey James, I use their other product called thiamax. Thiamega is relatively new, and I may also try that once my Thiamax bottle has finished.

Thiamax (B1 - TTFD version) has been really amazing for me, especially in relation to glucose metabolism and also just feeling so much more positive.

Didn't know that B1 is the "gatekeeper" for mitochondria glucose metabolism - excuse me if I've misquoted that or not regurgitated it properly 😂

Elliot and Chandler Marrs (co-author of the book Elliot keeps mentioning to do with thiamine).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals