Vitamin B1 Could Reverse Early-stage Kidney Disease In Diabetes Patients

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by charlie, Jul 17, 2020.

1. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

"The team has discovered taking high oral doses of thiamine can dramatically decrease the excretion of albumin and reverse early stage kidney disease in type 2 diabetes patients.

In a paper published online in the journal Diabetologia, the team show 300 mg of thiamine taken orally each day for three months reduced the rate of albumin excretion in type 2 diabetes patients. The albumin excretion rate was decreased by 41% from the value at the start of the study. The results also showed 35% of patients with microalbuminuria saw a return to normal urinary albumin excretion after being treated with thiamine.

Forty patients with type 2 diabetes aged between 35 and 65 years old took part in the trial. They were randomly assigned a placebo or 3 x 100mg tablets of thiamine a day for three months.

The Warwick research group has already conclusively proven that type 2 diabetes patients have a thiamine deficiency. In an earlier study led by Professor Paul Thornalley at Warwick Medical School, the research team showed that thiamine deficiency could be key to a range of vascular problems for diabetes patients.

Dr Rabbani said: “This study once again highlights the importance of Vitamin B1 and we need to increase awareness. Professor Thornalley and I are planning a foundation at the University of Warwick to further education and research in thiamine deficiency.”

More at link: Vitamin B1 Could Reverse Early-stage Kidney Disease In Diabetes Patients

2. S-VV

S-VV Member

> Published December 2008
    > Thiamine is not patentable, can get a months supply for 20$
    > Wikipedia: “there is no know cure for CKD”

Every time.

3. Korven

Korven Member

B1 is looking better and better everyday... can't wait to take my first dose of allithiamine + energin with dinner tonight.

How has your experience been with taking thiamine @charlie ?

4. kay_rae

kay_rae Member

I just wrote a post about this. I have lived with Type 1 diabetes for nearly 24 years and have been working over the last 6+ months to improve my kidney function. This study/article (the same one you referenced) has given me some hope. Have been on 500mg oral B1 for a month now and will get my labs results in 2 weeks and at the 3-month mark. Looking forward to hopefully improved results. If anyone else has had experience with this (or any other methods of improving kidney function) I am all ears.