Alzheimers And Cancer Connected - Through Metabolism Of Sugar

haidut

Forum Supporter
The article reads like both something that came out of Peat's mind and also a horror story. On one hand, scientists are finally starting to realize the importance of the Warburg Effect in cancer, and how brain cells with high metabolism do not succumb to Alzheimer's. On the other, they now claim that having lots of lactic acid in the brain is protective against Alzheimer's disease.
Either way, may be finally a wakeup call for giving metabolism the attention it deserves. But it makes one wonder why the study focused on lactic acid (glycolysis) as the important metabolic pathway rather than oxidative phosphorylation??
I just hope we don't end up with an army of drugs boosting the production of lactic acid as a means of curing Alzheimer's.

http://news.westernu.ca/2015/01/cancer- ... s-disease/

"...The idea the Warburg Effect could apply to Alzheimer’s disease intrigued Cumming. He has since determined metabolism is a key component of the resistance mechanism. But why? Is genetic makeup acting as a protective shield? Lifestyle? Perhaps a combination? “What is the genetic makeup of people that allows them to survive and have all this bad stuff in their brain? The biochemical processes that occur in these people and their brains; is there a drug that can activate that?” said Cumming, who is working with neuroimaging scientists at Robarts Research Institute. “Finding the mechanism by which that natural resistance occurs could give us a clue.” While some people are able to activate this ‘cancer-like metabolism rate’ in the brain, it doesn’t mean they’re getting cancer. It simply means the cells are “sugar-loving,” taking up the body’s sugar to create lactic acid, which is then converted into energy. “Lactic acid is produced in the brain, not at super high levels, but it has been shown, in mice, that you need to make a certain amount to enhance memory,” Cumming said. “The brain needs to break down a certain amount of sugar to generate the lactic acid.”

"...When metabolism isn’t functioning well, it really makes Alzheimer’s take root. The ability to respond – for the brain to absorb nutrients efficiently – is definitely not right in people with Alzheimer’s. With age, this metabolism declines. So, if we can we ‘turn it on’ within the brain, and cause an increase of activation to the enzymes that promote metabolism, can we ‘turn it on’ and rescue the memory deficiency?” Cumming said his research is “like Alice in Wonderland, going down the rabbit hole.” “We are the first to discover this,” he said. “We are not following the beaten path. We are carving new pathways."

jyb

haidut said:
Either way, may be finally a wakeup call for giving metabolism the attention it deserves. But it makes one wonder why the study focused on lactic acid (glycolysis) as the important metabolic pathway rather than oxidative phosphorylation??

The brain seems really different and neurone have very specific needs. It's not the same thing as saying lactic acid is good in general for the body. Although I cannot take side on the brain debate as the debate is technical, I would say it doesn't shock me as other things are counter-intuitive and specific to that organ, for example its higher use of pufa if healthy (endogenously produced).

jyb said:
haidut said:

The brain seems really different and neurone have very specific needs. It's not the same thing as saying lactic acid is good in general for the body. Although I cannot take side on the brain debate as the debate is technical, I would say it doesn't shock me as other things are counter-intuitive and specific to that organ, for example its higher use of pufa if healthy (endogenously produced).

Yes... and its taste for methylmercury which is higher than all other tissues'... :roll:

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
Yes... and its taste for methylmercury which is higher than all other tissues'... :roll:

I meant (not poly)unsaturated acids like n-9 produced endogenously produced when healthy. This might occur more in the brain. I don't think you can assume straightforwardly that neurons have the same energy requirements and use as other cells, certainly a lot has been written about this. It's not necessarily related to dietary matters, as conversion could take place as needed near them.

burtlancast

This confirms current scientific opinion about Alzheimer being "diabetes" of the brain.
And it confirms too why ketones ( from coconut oil, and endogenous) are a super food for the neurons, providing them with the needed energy.

Ledo

From the professor's profile:

"In particular his lab investigates (a) how aerobic glycolysis , a type of metabolism commonly found in cancer cells, enables neurons to become resistant to the toxic effects of amyloid beta (Aβ)"

Yes, I to wonder why glycolysis instead of ox phos is what his research has determined is the key for some people, 30 % of aged, not succumbing to amyloid beta tangles in their brains? the article posted by Haidut didn't say. They definetly like the connection to lactic acid though, calling it protective. How do they know its not what causes the cell to succumb to the amyloid beta tangles?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals