Caffeine Protects Against Dementia (AD), ALS, Parkinson, And Huntington Disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
The link between caffeine intake and lower risk of neurodegenerative conditions has been established before but the mechanism of action was unknown. This study discovered one possible mechanism and also confirmed the associative findings in vivo using a mouse model. The HED was 150mg - 300mg daily.

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep43846
IU-led brain study suggests new ways to protect against neurodegeneration : IU Bloomington Newsroom: Indiana University Bloomington
IU study finds caffeine boosts enzyme that could protect against dementia: IU Bloomington Newsroom: Indiana University Bloomington

"... A study by Indiana University researchers has identified 24 compounds -- including caffeine -- with the potential to boost an enzyme in the brain shown to protect against dementia. The protective effect of the enzyme, called NMNAT2, was discovered last year through research conducted at IU Bloomington. The new study appears today in the journal Scientific Reports. "This work could help advance efforts to develop drugs that increase levels of this enzyme in the brain, creating a chemical 'blockade' against the debilitating effects of neurodegenerative disorders," said Hui-Chen Lu, who led the study. Lu is a Gill Professor in the Linda and Jack Gill Center for Biomolecular Science and the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, a part of the IU Bloomington College of Arts and Sciences. Previously, Lu and colleagues found that NMNAT2 plays two roles in the brain: a protective function to guard neurons from stress and a “chaperone function” to combat misfolded proteins called tau, which accumulate in the brain as "plaques" due to aging. The study was the first to reveal the "chaperone function" in the enzyme. Misfolded proteins have been linked to neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases, as well as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease. Alzheimer’s disease, the most common form of these disorders, affects over 5.4 million Americans, with numbers expected to rise as the population ages."

T

tca300

Do you think coffee intake and its protective effects are basically dose dependent? ( except for very high doses obviously ) Thank you!
@haidut

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think coffee intake and its protective effects are basically dose dependent? ( except for very high doses obviously ) Thank you!
@haidut

I think caffeine has a U-shape curve. Peat said something similar recently in regards to the higher doses having non-metabolic effects. The best effects for the liver are probably in the 100mg - 200mg range daily and are unlikely to cause much stress to the organism. For prevention of brain issues, 100mg - 200mg is probably enough. For treatment, higher doses in the 600mg+ daily may be needed.

docall18

I think caffeine has a U-shape curve. Peat said something similar recently in regards to the higher doses having non-metabolic effects. The best effects for the liver are probably in the 100mg - 200mg range daily and are unlikely to cause much stress to the organism. For prevention of brain issues, 100mg - 200mg is probably enough. For treatment, higher doses in the 600mg+ daily may be needed.

Mm 100mg-200mg is a very low dose. Approx one cup of coffee per day.

I see previous threads recommending higher doses for a range of pro metabolic uses. I presume for the average person that can handle 500-1000mg of caffeine/day, this would be a preferable dose?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Mm 100mg-200mg is a very low dose. Approx one cup of coffee per day.

I see previous threads recommending higher doses for a range of pro metabolic uses. I presume for the average person that can handle 500-1000mg of caffeine/day, this would be a preferable dose?

Sure, use as much as you feel good with. The higher doses are probably more dopaminergic and anti-fibrotic.

Sure, use as much as you feel good with. The higher doses are probably more dopaminergic and anti-fibrotic.

So, I've just been diagnosed with ALS. At first they thought it was MMN, but as breathing became involved, the diagnosis was looked at more carefully. I started on a ketogenic diet, also including bulletproof coffee. After one week doing the coffee, my ear ringing went away for about a week. I stopped the coffee cuz I don't really like it without cream(even with the oil and butter), as I'm avoiding dairy currently. Ringing came back.
I'm very uncertain about the keto diet. My son got so much better doing it, and he felt my raw milk was not good for me. I love it though and it's been hard. This last week, I've had horrible cotton mouth, and I understand is a part of keto. Wake up multiple times because it's so bad, and no moisture to form a spit wad is there. I'm drinking plenty of water...more than I feel I should, especially after reading Matt Stone on that subject. I realize there's a lot more to healing ALS than coffee, but would upping it seriously help? I know coffee decreases estrogen(I'm 62), and I know hormones play in. Is Ray still doing consults?

Regina

So, I've just been diagnosed with ALS. At first they thought it was MMN, but as breathing became involved, the diagnosis was looked at more carefully. I started on a ketogenic diet, also including bulletproof coffee. After one week doing the coffee, my ear ringing went away for about a week. I stopped the coffee cuz I don't really like it without cream(even with the oil and butter), as I'm avoiding dairy currently. Ringing came back.
I'm very uncertain about the keto diet. My son got so much better doing it, and he felt my raw milk was not good for me. I love it though and it's been hard. This last week, I've had horrible cotton mouth, and I understand is a part of keto. Wake up multiple times because it's so bad, and no moisture to form a spit wad is there. I'm drinking plenty of water...more than I feel I should, especially after reading Matt Stone on that subject. I realize there's a lot more to healing ALS than coffee, but would upping it seriously help? I know coffee decreases estrogen(I'm 62), and I know hormones play in. Is Ray still doing consults?
I think there are threads here specifically discussing ALS.
For tinnitus, Haidut has mentioned niacinamide, taurine and phosphitydlecholine.
I don't think a keto diet is recommended.
But diamant should be nice as well as pregnenolone and anti-serotonin drugs.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

It is pretty well established in research circles that ALS is a mitochondrial disease with heavy inflammation component. I posted a few studies about that and a recent study showed that copper can treat ALS as it restores cytochrome C activity.
More evidence that diseases like ALS are mitochondrial
Shockingly Successful Trial Shows Copper Dissolved In Dmso Treats Als

Aside from copper, other things that directly target and restore cytochrome C activity include thyroid, and methylene blue. So, a combination of copper and methylene blue seems like something that should be safe to try. Peat wrote about a friend of his who has been living with ALS for 20+ years and keeps it under control with 3g-4g aspirin daily. When he stops the aspirin for a week the symptoms start to come back and when he restarts it the symptoms disappear. His doctor tried to illegally sequence his genome as he thought this case is impossible as the condition is quite clearly ALS yet this guy continues to live without much issues in walking, eating and breathing.
Finally, I recently posted that ALS is characterized by hypogonadism and increased adrenal activity (so a condition of high stress) and steroid treatment with T or DHT reversed symptoms in animal models. Keeping stress low and sugar intake high may help at least slow progression.
Stress May Be The Primary Cause Of Als
High Sugar Diet Prolongs Survival In ALS Patients

If you have not yet done so I would do a full steroid panel, including vitamin D and cortisol and if hypogonadism is confirmed maybe ask the doctor for low dose bioidentical T prescription. Pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA, as well as androsterone may also help but there is not much clinical evidence for them.
Cholesterol May Protect The Brain From Diseases Like Als

Btw, I don't think the tinnitus is related to the ALS diagnosis. It is usually due to gut irritation. Did the doctor say tinnitus is a symptom of ALS?

It is pretty well established in research circles that ALS is a mitochondrial disease with heavy inflammation component. I posted a few studies about that and a recent study showed that copper can treat ALS as it restores cytochrome C activity.

Aside from copper, other things that directly target and restore cytochrome C activity include thyroid, and methylene blue. So, a combination of copper and methylene blue seems like something that should be safe to try. Peat wrote about a friend of his who has been living with ALS for 20+ years and keeps it under control with 3g-4g aspirin daily. When he stops the aspirin for a week the symptoms start to come back and when he restarts it the symptoms disappear. His doctor tried to illegally sequence his genome as he thought this case is impossible as the condition is quite clearly ALS yet this guy continues to live without much issues in walking, eating and breathing.
Finally, I recently posted that ALS is characterized by hypogonadism and increased adrenal activity (so a condition of high stress) and steroid treatment with T or DHT reversed symptoms in animal models. Keeping stress low and sugar intake high may help at least slow progression.

If you have not yet done so I would do a full steroid panel, including vitamin D and cortisol and if hypogonadism is confirmed maybe ask the doctor for low dose bioidentical T prescription. Pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA, as well as androsterone may also help but there is not much clinical evidence for them.

Btw, I don't think the tinnitus is related to the ALS diagnosis. It is usually due to gut irritation. Did the doctor say tinnitus is a symptom of ALS?
No, they didn't. I could agree it is the gut. Thank you for all your help. I will get back with you on it as I digest it. So, to start with, should I just try aspirin? How does that work? My nerve study shows that my brain signals the nerve but the nerve is not carrying the signal all the way to the muscle. Would ending the inflammation cause the nerves abd makes to communicate again? I'm so clueless...

Last edited:

Additionally, I'm scared to death of sugar, even though I read a lot on Peat's site. As I upped my dairy, calories, sugar, resistant starch, my gut went way out and my central nervous system became involved. My diagnosis changed from MMN to ALS...I know there are so many factors that could play in and make my statements to that effect wrong, so i really need someone to consult with. I'm too stressed to do the research any more. Is Peat still advising? If not, who do you recommend?

Regina

Additionally, I'm scared to death of sugar, even though I read a lot on Peat's site. As I upped my dairy, calories, sugar, resistant starch, my gut went way out and my central nervous system became involved. My diagnosis changed from MMN to ALS...I know there are so many factors that could play in and make my statements to that effect wrong, so i really need someone to consult with. I'm too stressed to do the research any more. Is Peat still advising? If not, who do you recommend?
Resistant starch??

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I think Peat still consults, so you can email him.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
No, they didn't. I could agree it is the gut. Thank you for all your help. I will get back with you on it as I digest it. So, to start with, should I just try aspirin? How does that work? My nerve study shows that my brain signals the nerve but the nerve is not carrying the signal all the way to the muscle. Would ending the inflammation cause the nerves abd makes to communicate again? I'm so clueless...

I think you should take these studies to your doctor and ask for treatment. The copper treatment is probably already available as an experimental protocol, which your doctor may be willing to administer.