Got hit on head, thinking of getting MRI scan

milk

The building in which I live has a couple of automated gates for the garage. I was standing under one of them when the person next to me pressed the button that makes the gate shut.

It's a heavy metal gate and as it closed it hit me where the back and the top of my skull meet. It didn't hurt and I didn't black out, so I didn't go to the hospital. But for two nights after it happened, when I was about to fall asleep, I had a very brief, very intense anxiety rush that felt almost like full body seizure.

The gate incidente happened about two weeks ago. The area where it hit is still sensitive. It felt particularly sensitive when I too 1mg cyproheptadine about one week ago.

I don't know. Maybe it's nothing and it will heal spontaneously. Or maybe it's imprudent not to check it out. But MRI scans, or whatever technological method they would employ to see if there's any internal bleeding in the area, would be akin to an X-ray, right?

Haidut said to take gelatin, niacinamide and glycine, I think, before undergoing an X-ray, so maybe I'll do that.

answersfound

Skip the MRI, it probably won't tell you much anyways. Just take 500mg-1000 mg of pregnenolone daily for a week and then come down to a lower dose as maintenance.

MRI is magnets but all we can say is it really can't be worse than x-rays, as this goes for almost anything. I'd suggest a chiropractor but they won't tell you what you have without taking x-rays anyway :ss

tara

I've been assuming MRI is a lot safer than x-rays.

OP
M

milk

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I wrote a long reply to this thread but accidentally deleted the draft. I would have replied sooner, but I was bedridden with a really bad fever for a couple of days.

In short:

Indeed, Ray Peat has a lot of good things to say about MRIs, as a quick Google search of raypeat.com makes clear.

I've been to a doctor. He looked at my scalp and he thinks I'm fine. He didn't want me to take an X-ray. He told me the protocol is to get the X-ray first and the MRI later, if needed, for confimation. I get the feeling there's no way of convincing them of skipping the X-ray and taking just the MRI.

The spot where the gate hit me is hotter than the rest of my skull. And it feels sensitive. I have also been feeling kind of nauseous these last days. Naturally, these symptoms worry me somewhat. I'm thinking about going back and getting an X-ray just to quell these worries.

Oh, thanks for the pregnenolone tip, answersfound. I couldn't find good brands or reliable sellers in Brazil, though.

messtafarian

it sounds more like you got hit on the back of the neck, not the head. This wouldn't be a problem with a concussion but *maybe* ( MAYBE!!!!!) a small interruption in the flow of cerebrospinal fluid if anything. I would just watch your salts and let your neck rest as much as you can for a while. These things do tend to work themselves out on their own.

OP
M

milk

it sounds more like you got hit on the back of the neck, not the head. This wouldn't be a problem with a concussion but *maybe* ( MAYBE!!!!!) a small interruption in the flow of cerebrospinal fluid if anything. I would just watch your salts and let your neck rest as much as you can for a while. These things do tend to work themselves out on their own.

Thanks for the tips.

Maybe I didn't describe the incident too well. English not my first language etc. The "gate" (door?) looks kind of like this:

portoes1_b.jpg

I do remember it hitting me on the top (near the back) of my head. And it was witnessed by the cleaning lady who accidentally hit the button on the remote as I was standing under the door, putting the trash into the dumpster. She asked me if I was wounded and I said I think not. It didn't hurt and I didn't black out. I reflexively cowered the instant it hit me on the head, so that the heavy creaky gate also touched my back before she pressed the button for it to go up again.

I was thinking about taking the CT scan and just get it over with, but according to http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-much-ct-scans-increase-risk-cancer/,

"A single CT scan subjects the human body to between 150 and 1,100 times the radiation of a conventional x-ray, or around a year's worth of exposure to radiation from both natural and artificial sources in the environment."

Yeah, not so sure about that. Oh well.

tara

He told me the protocol is to get the X-ray first and the MRI later, if needed, for confimation. I get the feeling there's no way of convincing them of skipping the X-ray and taking just the MRI.
Bother. I wouldn't be keen on the CT scan. I would expect it to mess with healing, as well as increase cancer risk? One or two single x-rays would be much less harmful, but maybe don't give enough info?

I think (from reading normalbreathing a few years ago) that hyperventilation can be protective in cases of blows to the head. This is probably not the time to practice bag-breathing or Buteyko or pranayama. At least not just yet.

OP
M

milk

Bother. I wouldn't be keen on the CT scan. I would expect it to mess with healing, as well as increase cancer risk? One or two single x-rays would be much less harmful, but maybe don't give enough info?

I think (from reading normalbreathing a few years ago) that hyperventilation can be protective in cases of blows to the head. This is probably not the time to practice bag-breathing or Buteyko or pranayama. At least not just yet.

Thanks.

Peata

When someone I know was hospitalized due to hematoma, they were constantly being checked for symptoms, such as muscle weakness and unevenly dilated pupils. You might have someone test you. Have them shine a flashlight in your eyes to see if your pupils change the same (a bad sign would be a pupil that didn't react or if they were both different sizes even though the same amount of light shone at them). Also strength tests like whether you can push back against their hand against yours, or if you can push back with your legs against their hand. That kind of thing. You can probably find details for these tests online.

Overall, if you are concerned, I would say don't mess around with a hard head injury. Get checked to be on the safe side.

Philomath

I thought dr. Peat mentioned progesterone to reduce swelling from concussions or head trauma. That or vitamin E could be a precaution against dangerous swelling.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I thought dr. Peat mentioned progesterone to reduce swelling from concussions or head trauma.
I think so too. I have it in my head(no pun intended) that for any kind of head/brain injury I will use progesterone as quickly as possible.

Peata

Yeah, I recall talk about progesterone and head trauma too. It's supposed to help with the swelling and injury. There are some articles about it on pubmed as well.

tara

I think so too. I have it in my head(no pun intended) that for any kind of head/brain injury I will use progesterone as quickly as possible.
Me too. Haven't been giving it to my growing boys, though, and they've taken a few blows.

OP
M

milk

Sorry for abandoning the thread. I appreciate all the replies.

I know a doctor with an orthomolecular bent who would likely help me get an MRI scan. I haven't been able to get an appointment yet due to work and a bad sleeping schedule. I'll see if I can get one tomorrow.

Symptoms as of now are few and mild, and possibly (hopefully) subsiding.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals