Good Quality Vitamin E

Gabriel

I started reading the Shute brothers and Wilfrid Shute mentioned they used vitamin e from wheat germ oil kept in the refrigerator. Dr. Shute also expressed his worries that nowadays wheat germ is removed during wheat processing and without any dietary compensation a large fraction of people dont receive adequate vitamin e.

I then looked more into the tocopherol content of different oils and found that there are significant differences in the different tocopherols. The following table is from this interesting dissertation.

Wheat germ oil + sunflower oil (two oils popular in europe) seems to be significantly more balanced toward alpha-tocopherol, the form that also the Shute brothers saw as the most important.

In contrast soybean oil + corn oil (the two main oils used in the US) is remarkably dominant in gamma-tocopherols.

Maybe people who dont respond well to soy-tocopherols might try wheat germ tocopherols and have better responses on that.

Attachments

• tocopherols in different plant oils.png
    tocopherols in different plant oils.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,005

Dan W

Thank you, Gabriel, that's really interesting.

It sounds like alpha tocopherol is the only one that officially counts toward the vitamin E labeling total (according to one of A.C. Grace's pages). So given your chart, I wonder why the wheat germ supplements seem to have such low concentrations. Unless it's just a coincidence with the two we've found so far.

J

j.

Probably a good idea to have one that has higher gamma and another one with higher alpha and change based on how you feel, provided you're not susceptible to reactions by any of the additives.

Bluebell

Gabriel, that's a really good chart, thank you!

With the soy-based vitamin E supplements, they fraction out the alpha-tocopherol, then they concentrate it, so it has a much higher amount of alpha in it than is naturally found in soy oil. This means their IU reading for the capsule is higher, which is measured in alpha tocopherol only.

Bluebell

Dan, here's another option for vitamin E.

It's a water soluble one, that I've ordered and am going to try: Aqua E by Douglas Labs.

www.douglaslabs.com/pdf/pds/99703.pdf

I hope it could be very easy to absorb.

It has these ingredients, (Tocotrienols are there but only 8mg, linoleic acid also tiny amount I would imagine):
Water, d-alpha-tocopheryl polyethylene glycol-1000 succinate (TPGS), potassium sorbate, sorbate acid, and linoleic acid.

Polyethylene glycol could be an issue but I hope it is in tiny amounts. I've tried emailing douglas labs to ask how much, but they don't seem to be responding.

4peatssake

Bluebell said:
Dan, here's another option for vitamin E.

It's a water soluble one, that I've ordered and am going to try: Aqua E by Douglas Labs.

http://www.douglaslabs.com/pdf/pds/99703.pdf

I hope it could be very easy to absorb.

It has these ingredients, (Tocotrienols are there but only 8mg, linoleic acid also tiny amount I would imagine):
Water, d-alpha-tocopheryl polyethylene glycol-1000 succinate (TPGS), potassium sorbate, sorbate acid, and linoleic acid.

Polyethylene glycol could be an issue but I hope it is in tiny amounts. I've tried emailing douglas labs to ask how much, but they don't seem to be responding.
I'd be concerned about the polyethlene glycol.

forum member nwo2012 said:
Again PEG (polyethlene glycol), which is often contaminated with 1,4-dioxane (very potenet carcinogen), is reason enough for me to steer clear. Again everyone needs to make their own choice as to risk etc.

Source

Bluebell

4peatssake said:
I'd be concerned about the polyethlene glycol.

forum member nwo2012 said:
Again PEG (polyethlene glycol), which is often contaminated with 1,4-dioxane (very potenet carcinogen), is reason enough for me to steer clear. Again everyone needs to make their own choice as to risk etc.

Source

Ah OK, thanks for that info, that doesn't sound good.

lazz

I definitely need to add vitamin E to my sup list...which brand is approved on here??

Franz

I got some from lotioncrafter. I'm just not sure how to determine the amount. Can I assume that it was a similar amount of IU for a similar amount of oil?

On a side note, this stuff does feel good on my skin. How much % of the IU do you get when you put it on your skin? I remember reading it here somewhere but I forgot.

Dan W

lazz said:
I definitely need to add vitamin E to my sup list...which brand is approved on here??
I'm still up in the air on the answer to that, so I want to ask Peat. The Lotioncrafter one seems like a good "default", but I wonder about Gabriel's comment that alpha-tocopherol may be the most important: Lotioncrafter appears to be high gamma-tocopherol, while the previously Peat-approved (I think) Unique E was high in alpha-tocopherol.

Franz said:
I got some from lotioncrafter. I'm just not sure how to determine the amount. Can I assume that it was a similar amount of IU for a similar amount of oil?
I'm betting the total tocopherol amount is comparable. But there's the issues with the tocopherol balance that I mentioned above. So you might just want to see how a normal dose affects you, and then consider j's idea of having both high-alpha and high-gamma to experiment with.

Franz said:
On a side note, this stuff does feel good on my skin. How much % of the IU do you get when you put it on your skin? I remember reading it here somewhere but I forgot.
I've never found a reliable source on this, but I've heard that you could expect 20% absorption.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well, I got the Lotion Crafter vitamin E and tried it and my metabolism crashed. I also got really itchy, which to me seems like it effected the liver. Not sure if I took too much, because not really sure how to measure it.

J

j.

Charlie said:
Well, I got the Lotion Crafter vitamin E and tried it and my metabolism crashed. I also got really itchy, which to me seems like it effected the liver. Not sure if I took too much, because not really sure how to measure it.

Haha, maybe you just had 30,000 IU?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Not sure how much I took. I just dipped my finger in slightly and rubbed it on the inside of my wrists.

J

j.

Charlie said:
Not sure how much I took. I just dipped my finger in slightly and rubbed it on the inside of my wrists.

Soy on my wrist is worse for me than taking it orally.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Interesting.

I think I would rather try the wheat germ next. Although, I am gluten intolerant so wondering if that makes a difference.

J

j.

Charlie said:
I think I would rather try the wheat germ next. Although, I am gluten intolerant so wondering if that makes a difference.

The one from France? Regarding gluten, maybe in that case avoiding it orally might be a good idea, since it would avoid the intestine I think.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am not sure where it was from. Haven't really looked into it yet.

I know gluten gives me a heck of a time, so definitely need to be careful there.

jyb

I recently ordered some from lotioncrafter. I supplemented for two days, I didn't see any difference. So I don't plan to supplement despite being rather hypothyroid, unless it was due to not getting the dosage right.

Bluebell

Charlie said:

Charlie, for comparison did you ever try the unique E from AC Grace (not suggesting you do now, just wondering if you ever had it)? That one is soy too. The unique E made me itchy where I applied and I felt bad.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals