Good Quality Vitamin E

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I wonder, if before you present it to them that maybe try and contact them and see what they say about added vegetable oil and how much they add?

Great work as always Dan!

Dan W

Thanks Charlie. I will ask for the percentage first, I imagine that's easier than getting a big ol' Certificate of Analysis.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
5magicbeans said:

I sounds good at first sight, except for the tocotrienols. As far as I know RP does not like tocotrienols b/c they have not been studies enough yet and there is some evidence that they cause liver enlargement. Besides, for most supplements in pill there is no COA and no way to verify what is the purity of the supplement. In the absence of COA, I'd say the second best test would be color, viscosity and taste. Good vitamin E should be red-brownish in color, very viscous and with peculiar vegetable-butterish taste. I guess get a bottle and try it out. Experiment is the ultimate arbiter:):

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
http://www.nhrorganicoils.com/products.php?id=3687

This is another manufacturer (sells to USA/Europe). You can find the certificate of analysis on the page for download. The picture of the bottle is interesting, the oil seems to separate into two colors.

How can you tell from the certificate of analysis that there's no added oil?

I exchanged some emails with this company about a year ago. Aside from the fact that the tocopherols are "only" 70%, while the Lotioncrafter and the others are listed are at least 95%, the company told me that the rest of the 30% are vegetable oil and most likely soy oil. But if this is the only high purity supplement that would ship to Europe than I'd try it out and see how it affects me. I had surprisingly good effects from a Walmart vitamin E with about 50% tocopherol concentration, but it was discontinued.
Anyways, my advice it to buy it and after it separates into the two colors I'd use the darker color. The lighter color is probably the vegetable oil they use as an additive. I will try to find the emails I exchanged with the company and post them on the forum.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dan Wich said:
Wilfrid said:
I use the 4Spectrum vitamin E brand.

That one looks pretty good! I'll have to update the page.

Yes! I used the 4Spectrum product before and I was very pleased with it. The guy selling it is quite a character too. I think he is based in Texas, and is a very outspoken political activist too. He thinks that Walmart and Obama are the devil, the USA is a communist dictatorship, aliens control the food supply, etc. We talked on the phone for like 30min before I could order. He also said that he gets the bulk tocopherol for making his product from some company in Ohio, but would not tell me which one (understandably). All in all, good product, but very pricey. Buying 2oz from 4Spectrum will cost you the same as buying a full 1lb from Lotioncrafter or 7oz from TKO. So, maybe we keep it in the list of vendors since it is a high purity product and another option to choose from if other companies start watering down the product.
Oh, I almost forgot. The guy who owns 4Spectrum is a neighbor of the guys that own AC Grace. He does NOT speak highly of them, which maybe be just due to good old competition bashing. However, without me telling him about my experience with AC Grace he warned me that their product has been diluted and is no longer what it used to be under their old CEO. Apparently the company changed leadership some time in 2011, which is when I noticed the change in product quality as well.
Anyways, I am digressing. Bottom line is I like the product but I think it's very expensive.

J

j.

The best selling mixed tocopherols vitamin E from iherb is Solgar, which comes from Safflower oil (so apparently it doesn't have soy? however, it doesn't say NO SOY). Any thoughts on that one, haidut?

Wilfrid

j. said:
The best selling mixed tocopherols vitamin E from iherb is Solgar, which comes from Safflower oil (so apparently it doesn't have soy? however, it doesn't say NO SOY). Any thoughts on that one, haidut?

I think that the vitamin E part come from soy whereas the adding safflower oil acts probably as a carrier for the E.
I noticed than when I used to take straight vitamin E I got some GI problem (probably due to the viscosity)..,, but as soon as I diluted the vitamin in a little of warm olive oil, the problem (mainly bloating) vanished.
Plus, the MUFA (probably the oleic part) in olive oil is a better carrier than SFA or PUFA for liposoluble vitamin storage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3200243/

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Testing post. Please disregard.

Dan W

A.C. Grace responded to me:
A.C. Grace Customer Service said:
Our Mixed Tocopherols are 100% Mixed Tocopherols with no other diluent oils added.

They also mention on their web site, "Most Vitamin E on the market looks light in color — that’s because it may contain up to 50% vegetable oil as a filler. UNIQUE E® does not!"

I'm going to follow up asking why we seem to be seeing lighter colors. Haidut, was your communication using A.C. Grace's 1-800 number?

J

j.

Is it safe to assume that the lotioncrafter vitamin E is from soy?

Dan W

j. said:
Is it safe to assume that the lotioncrafter vitamin E is from soy?

Yep, it's from soybean oil. I'll work on updating that product table I made to include a "source of tocopherols" column.

Dan W

Made some more updates to the growing product table:
http://www.toxinless.com/mixed-tocopherol-vitamin-e

Thorne's Ultimate E looks like a decent option for people that want a capsule, anyone have any experience with it? It seems hard to purchase right now, hopefully it's just hit a production slump rather than being discontinued.

I noticed a possible snag with the 4Spectrum brand: some of their more-detailed listings mention tocotrienols, I'll have to find out which products have them.

Solgar's oil initially sounds promising because it mentions sunflower oil, but I'm suspicious that it's only a carrier, and that the tocopherols are from soy like everyone else. I've contacted them to ask.

So far it seems like only NHR Organic and 4Spectrum claim to be GMO-free.

When I get all the details sorted out, I'll try sending the options to Peat and see what he thinks.

Dan W

A followup response from A.C. Grace after I asked about the color difference:
A.C. Grace Customer Service said:
Thank you for sharing this photo with us. Please rest assured that our Mixed Tocopherols oil formula has not changed for 50 years.

There is always the chance that the oil produced from batches of raw source material can change from growing season to growing season, and location of the crops.

We third party test all of our batches to verify the tocopherols levels meet our specifications.

Next I'll ask for a Certificate of Analysis, though that's probably pushing my luck.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Lotion Crafter is out of vitamin E. I got there too late I guess. :(

Lotion Crafter, meet the Ray Peat forum effect. :rolling

J

j.

Charlie said:
Lotion Crafter is out of vitamin E. I got there too late I guess. :(

Lotion Crafter, meet the Ray Peat forum effect. :rolling

Maybe the forum can create the demand for a niche market (at first) of Ray Peat pleasing supplements.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well who knows. Maybe they only had 2 bottles left. :rolling We are still a really small community.