Good Quality Vitamin E

Dan W

Charlie said:
Lotion Crafter is out of vitamin E. I got there too late I guess. :(

I hope it comes back in stock soon: I'm still not sure about A.C. Grace's claims, and wanted to order some. There's still the "1 pound" quantity available...maybe they'll split it up for us :lol:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Lotion Crafter back in stock.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
True, we shall see.

Mittir

Dan Wich said:
A followup response from A.C. Grace after I asked about the color difference:

China is a major supplier of raw materials for many American supplement makers.
China is infamous for contamination of raw materials. It would be good idea to ask
those companies if they use Chinese raw materials in their product.

Bluebell

haidut said:
Sure, thats how much I started with and gradually increased the dosage to the level where I felt that adding more does not make me feel any better. You can buy a medical spoon that measures 1ml and take half such spoon for approximately 500mg. Tocopherol density is very close to water so taking a volume of 0.5ml equates roughly to 0.5g, which is of course 500mg. Btw the dose of 500mg is more than 400iu, in fact divide 500mg by 0.67 and you will get the dose in IU. But my point is that by getting a spoon that measures 1ml you can more easily approximate the 400iu dosage better than using a teaspoon. An alternative that I am actually using is to buy a set of espresso spoons, and those I think also measure 1ml. I got mine from Macys but most convenience stores sell them as well.

Haidut, isn't the 0.67 x mg IU calculation for vitamin E measured in d-alpha only, so depending on the amount of d-alpha vs the other tocopherols per mg, the IU for 500mg would be much less?

Wilfrid

Hi all,

This my last exchanges with RP regarding ester form of vitamin E, tocotrienols, the original vitamin E product he used to work on, with his thesis advisor on vitamin E, Dr Soderwall, ( note his remarks on the viscocity and color of his source materials, which was light not dark brown or reddish) and if people with inflammatory condition would really benefit from taking vitamin E:

" the vitamin E we had in the lab was from Sigma Chemical Co., and the source materials at that time were more varied, probably including wheat germ oil. It was very viscous and light colored. I think it contained the waxy saturated polycosanols and octacosanol.People with circulatory-inflammatory problems are likely to benefit from a supplement even when there's some PUFA with it."

"The esters aren't as well absorbed as the plain vitamin E, and aren't as active as antioxidants, but the combination with some substances, as in the succinate, can improve the regulatory functions of vitamin E. By regulating the expression of genes involved in inflammation and estrogen action, vitamin E reduces some harmful processes of oxidation, but the scavenger action is a separate function of the molecule. Tocotrienol has been described as a colorless substance. I think the color in the original vitamin E preparations was the result of a charge transfer complex between small amounts of vitamin K and tocopherols. The impurities, including the very long chain saturated fatty acids and alcohols, were probably important for some of the effects originally studied."

I'm trying to get even more information from RP and Maret G.Traber on which brand of vitamin E, as well as which form and dosage, would be the best bet for the "average" people.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh boy.

Dan W

Wilfrid said:
This one is from 100% concentrated wheat germ tocopherol complex in a base of wheat germ oil and is totally soy free.
The dosage is low ( and, may be, more body friendly) but...no soy in it.

http://www.oemine.fr/en/produits/oemine-e

Have they confirmed that it's soy-free? I'm now paranoid because a few products don't mention soy at all, but derive the tocopherols from it. So the tocopherols could be derived from soybean oil and are only suspended in wheat germ oil, as I found out is the case with Solgar's Liquid Vitamin E.

jyb

Dan Wich said:
So the tocopherols could be derived from soybean oil and are only suspended in wheat germ oil, as I found out is the case with Solgar's Liquid Vitamin E.

Haha, how completely insane. What else did they secretly stuff in there I wonder?

Wilfrid

Dan Wich said:
Wilfrid said:
This one is from 100% concentrated wheat germ tocopherol complex in a base of wheat germ oil and is totally soy free.
The dosage is low ( and, may be, more body friendly) but...no soy in it.

http://www.oemine.fr/en/produits/oemine-e

Have they confirmed that it's soy-free? I'm now paranoid because a few products don't mention soy at all, but derive the tocopherols from it. So the tocopherols could be derived from soybean oil and are only suspended in wheat germ oil, as I found out is the case with Solgar's Liquid Vitamin E.

I called them this morning (and lied...I told them that I have severe soy and soy derived products allergies and that if I eat soy my crohn's could flare up :D ).
There is no soy, sunflower, safflower products used to manufacture this product ( at any point of the manufacturing process.). So it's safe to use for those with soy allergies but not for those with coeliac disease or gluten allergy ( and, of course, for those who want to avoid gluten.).
The tocopherol portion are extracted only from concentrated wheat germ.
The remaining part is added wheat germ oil ( 250mg of it per capsule.).

Dan W

That's fantastic, Wilfrid! Anyone have any idea how we could get some?

Regarding A.C. Grace's Unique E, I'm a little baffled. So far they've been very open with me, sending me assays for the batches in my picture, indicating the alpha and gamma tocopherol levels haven't dropped. And assuming they're being honest in their statement that "...our Mixed Tocopherols oil formula has not changed for 50 years," I wouldn't think they've added any carrier oil. And their claim that the color difference may due to variations in their crops seems plausible.

Haidut, could the sales rep you spoke with have been from a reseller? If not, it seems like they're giving out contradictory statements.

J

j.

I personally give some weigh to haibut's feelings after taking it. These corporate people often are just trying to cover their asses.

Dan W

Agreed, j. But I'm intensely curious whether A.C. Grace is being truthful (meaning that Haidut's symptoms are due to variations in the crops), or whether they actually have started adding vegetable oil and are lying about it.

Bluebell

Love the way AC Grace skirt around the issue that their E comes from GMO soy beans:

"Is your product truly soy free?

Although our product is derived from soybeans, it does not contain any soy DNA protein because they are destroyed during distillation. Our product is certified to be PCR-negative which is the industry recognized classification for products that have been produced and distilled to remove any and all contaminates that could affect purity. Scientists state that there is no difference between a GMO and non-GMO product that is PCR-negative."

Dan W

Bluebell said:
This is another wheat germ oil vitamin E capsule:

http://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies ... -capsules/

Thank you, Bluebell! Every time I think the list is almost ready to send to Peat, more options appear.

That product does have vegetable oil, but not a lot. I wonder if Peat would prefer a wheat-germ sourced vitamin E in vegetable oil, or soy-sourced vitamin E without any extra oil...

Also, thanks to Everydayimshufflin on Peatarian for finding a source for ordering OEMINE E. Unfortunately they're low-dose capsules (15mg compared to 700mg in Unique E, for example) and are expensive to order (~$15 for 60 capsules, ~$45 shipping).

Since both of the wheat-germ sourced vitamin Es we've found have very low doses, I wonder if that's a consequence of the source. Maybe soybean oil allows for more efficient "concentrating".

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals