Gf Pregnant

Jing

Ok just found out my gf is pregnant, what foods and nutrients would be good for her to have while pregnant?

SOMO

Progesterone
Liver
Fructose
Vitamin A
Mushrooms
WHOLE Milk/Full Fat Dairy (will also encourage lactation)

Collden

Progesterone
Liver
Fructose
Vitamin A
Mushrooms
WHOLE Milk/Full Fat Dairy (will also encourage lactation)
I'd scratch those, pregnancy is one situation where you do not want to play around with Vitamin A supplements or foods high in it like liver.

Last edited:

Dobbler

Low PUFA intake i think is very important . No reason to poison the baby at the most important part of development.

lampofred

Dr. Peat explicitly recommended low fat milk in a recent interview for pregnant women

He said "at least 2 quarts of milk, preferably low fat, maybe even a gallon, 2-3 eggs, lots and lots of orange juice would be my emphasis"

sunraiser

You think supplementing progesterone is good?

I think if she's already healthy she should absolutely not supplement anything, especially hormones.

Just eat mostly whole foods she enjoys and craves. Try and step back and constantly catch yourself to understand there will be hormonal changes and the natural stressors of providing nutrients for another being.

Just intuition and as much patience as you can hold yourself to!

PS congrats!!

schultz

Congrats. Being a parent is the greatest thing in this world.

Lots of milk, orange juice and eggs. Ice cream before bed.

The A supplements are not necessary but liver is a great food filled with all sorts of important nutrients. My wife and I, and my children for that matter, eat liver once a week. She ate it once a week (3-4oz) during all 3 of her pregnancies and she had very healthy pregnancies. No morning sickness, no stretch marks, no swelling, etc. We had home deliveries for all 3 with no issues. My kids are super healthy and have had no health problems. Of course I am insanely bias and think they are the greatest, best looking kids ever.

My wife took progesterone in all 3 pregnancies. She also took D, K2 and sometimes Energin. She had a bit of constipation in the last pregnancy so I had her take 1/4 cytomel in the morning and mid-day and a quarter cynoplus before bed and this solved the problem.

Make sure your lady gets enough protein. I would not drop below 80g per day and 100g plus is probably better.

Looking back I realize how blessed we are to have had such healthy pregnancies and children and I feel like a lot of it is because of Ray and his writing. I should probably thank him. Before we started following Ray my wife had a miscarriage and also always had painful and heavy monthly cycles. When we started following Ray's stuff her periods were every 28 days exactly with no issues and, of course the pregnancies went well.

I like to defend Ray because his stuff has worked so incredibly well for our family. A friend of mine also follows Ray, and has followed him longer than I have, and fixed all of his health problems.

The forum shouldn't be your main source of information IMO. I did, and still do, my best to try and understand the stuff Ray is talking about and have listened to all the podcasts, sometimes multiple times, and have read every article I can get my hands on. It's helpful to understand the stuff as best you can so that you can make your own decisions regarding food + supplements.

I'd scratch those, pregnancy is one situation where you do not want to play around with Vitamin A supplements or foods high in it like liver.

Here is a post I did talking about liver and vitamin A in pregnancy.

Prenatal Advice

somuch4food

I'm a female, mother of one and currently pregnant with the second.

You have to be careful with liver and vitamin A, too much of it has been linked to birth defect and many countries have policies restricting liver during pregnancy.

My current approach is PUFA restriction, ample proteins and calories. I recently added back a prenatal (Thorne) and I think this one is working for me as I'm seeing improvements in skin health. The others I tried didn't seem to do much of anything honestly.

When I say PUFA restriction, I only avoid high vegetable oil PUFAs as in chips, fried foods, etc. They make me feel bad anyway, so they're not hard to avoid. I don't fret the small amount I find in some snacks since the added stress from worrying about it is as detrimental as the substance itself IMO.

The calories and proteins are most important. I often catch myself not eating enough and my body's shows it with decreased energy and increased aches. My current diet is high in animal products and refined starches with some fruits and sugary snacks. Vegetables are a rare occurrence. I don't find them filling enough actually.

ust eat mostly whole foods she enjoys and craves. Try and step back and constantly catch yourself to understand there will be hormonal changes and the natural stressors of providing nutrients for another being.

I second that. I find cravings are stronger during pregnancy. Some days I just have to have milk while at other times it's a burger that will satisfy me while milk will taste like water.

Collden

Congrats. Being a parent is the greatest thing in this world.

Lots of milk, orange juice and eggs. Ice cream before bed.

The A supplements are not necessary but liver is a great food filled with all sorts of important nutrients. My wife and I, and my children for that matter, eat liver once a week. She ate it once a week (3-4oz) during all 3 of her pregnancies and she had very healthy pregnancies. No morning sickness, no stretch marks, no swelling, etc. We had home deliveries for all 3 with no issues. My kids are super healthy and have had no health problems. Of course I am insanely bias and think they are the greatest, best looking kids ever.

My wife took progesterone in all 3 pregnancies. She also took D, K2 and sometimes Energin. She had a bit of constipation in the last pregnancy so I had her take 1/4 cytomel in the morning and mid-day and a quarter cynoplus before bed and this solved the problem.

Make sure your lady gets enough protein. I would not drop below 80g per day and 100g plus is probably better.

Looking back I realize how blessed we are to have had such healthy pregnancies and children and I feel like a lot of it is because of Ray and his writing. I should probably thank him. Before we started following Ray my wife had a miscarriage and also always had painful and heavy monthly cycles. When we started following Ray's stuff her periods were every 28 days exactly with no issues and, of course the pregnancies went well.

I like to defend Ray because his stuff has worked so incredibly well for our family. A friend of mine also follows Ray, and has followed him longer than I have, and fixed all of his health problems.

The forum shouldn't be your main source of information IMO. I did, and still do, my best to try and understand the stuff Ray is talking about and have listened to all the podcasts, sometimes multiple times, and have read every article I can get my hands on. It's helpful to understand the stuff as best you can so that you can make your own decisions regarding food + supplements.

Here is a post I did talking about liver and vitamin A in pregnancy.

Prenatal Advice
Its just playing with fire to take Vitamin A during pregnancy, the evidence of its harm may not be perfect but on the other hand there is no evidence of benefits to going over the recommended amount that is very easily achieved on a standard diet. Liver seems just as capable as pills of inducing toxicity in other contexts so I don't see why it wouldn't apply to the teratogenic effects

schultz

Its just playing with fire to take Vitamin A during pregnancy, the evidence of its harm may not be perfect but on the other hand there is no evidence of benefits to going over the recommended amount that is very easily achieved on a standard diet.

Yah I did mention at the start of that post that I wouldn't supplement with it. I think something like beef liver is very beneficial given all the nutrients it has. However, people need to decide for themselves what is safe. I do think that people sort of lose their minds a bit when it comes to pregnancy and start to fear a lot of things and are more likely to revert back to mainstream ideas to feel safe.

Peatful

Ok just found out my gf is pregnant, what foods and nutrients would be good for her to have while pregnant?
Congratulations!

Children truly are a gift.

Stramonium

Salt, peat has talked about the importance of this nutrient to prevent Preeclampsia

baccheion

Now is a good time to look into lab work (hormone, thyroid, nutrient/NutrEval, food sensitivity, genetic, etc panels) to catch any deficiencies. Vitamin D and magnesium are common.

Some prenatals are just iron (+ vitamin C) and B9/folate. Naturelo has a highly-rated prenatal.

DHA becomes relevant near the end of pregnancy and during nursing.

Last edited:

Lilac

No acetaminophen, as it may be linked to autism. No X-rays. Be aware of EMFs.

redsun

I don't think any supplemental hormones are necessary nor would I mess with them on a pregnant woman as some were suggesting.

Anyway, think to the basics:

Electrolytes are the most abundant minerals in humans. The most abundant trace minerals after them are iron and zinc. All Bs are vital but B12 and folate are basics. Liver provides a lot of nutrition and should be eaten regularly when pregnant. As for iron, meats rich in heme iron to provide plenty of iron(which is unbelievable vital in pregnancy). Spleen is stupid high in this heme iron, B12, and you don't need that much to get a lot. 1 oz of spleen has 12.6mg of iron, most of which is heme. Beats any iron supplement by far and pregnancy calls for more iron so small amounts of spleen will help fill the gap instead of having to resort to iron supplements which can cause GI issues(temporary but still are uncomfortable). Liver provides B12, folate.

A diet diverse in animal foods like milk, eggs, meat, organs will provide most nutrients in high quantities while plants like starches(preferably potatoes), fruit, orange juice will help fill in the gaps easily. A prenatal multi is probably an order. Nutrient dense diet + prenatal will help cover everything. Sun for vitamin D of course

Folate may likely be adequate from foods, but you don't want adequate, you want optimal. Better too much then too little. Liver can be eaten regularly, vitamin A is not a concern when were are talking about all the nutrients in liver that are just too important to skimp on.

Fat should not be restricted as fat and cholesterol are vital for brain development... In short, restrict nothing, eat a high amount of diverse nutrients from multiple sources, use prenatal multi and everything will be fine.

Taotatoes

No supplementation aside from occasional magnesium later in the pregnancy if constipation becomes an issue. Avoid unheated luncheon meats, liver pate, smoked/raw fish, fish high in heavy metals and raw egg/dairy products. Eat lots of whole foods to appetite and drink filtered water.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals