Vitamin A For Better DHEA Conversion?

MB50

Hey everyone,

So my GF quit the pill about 6 months ago and switched from a paleo diet at about the same time. Blood work 6 months ago showed the classic high CRP and SHBG that usually accompany birth control. Since stopping the pill and switching to a Peat diet she has noticed significant mental and physical improvement; however, the changes are causing pretty significant acne on the face and some on the chest and back. I am assuming this is because her hormones are favorably balancing out, but DHEA is converting to excessive androgens at the peripheral tissues. I was thinking a vitamin A supplement like Retinil would be the best option for fixing this and providing a favorable environment for her hormones to get to an equilibrium faster? She is 27 and healthy, so maybe she should just try and wait it out?

Thanks and any input would be appreciated!

CoolTweetPete

I think it's worth a shot. There are several folks on here who have improved dermatological issues using high dose vitamin A. A more natural route to take would be introducing liver to the diet once or twice a week as it has a high vitamin A (and many other nutrients) content.

For myself, supplementing fat soluble vitamins ADE & K together has been most helpful, so something like Estroban might be good.

milk_lover

it may be a good idea or not. I think you need thyroid to be functioning well to prevent DHEA conversion to estrogen and excess vitamin A could hinder thyroid function. But vitamin A is also anti-estrogenic and I think I read a post here on the forum that says vitamin A is necessary for making steroid synthesis enzyme to work (found it Recovering Steroidogenesis Inhibited By Alcohol And Drugs). So there is a balance we can aim for to make the best outcome.

OP
MB50

MB50

it may be a good idea or not. I think you need thyroid to be functioning well to prevent DHEA conversion to estrogen and excess vitamin A could hinder thyroid function. But vitamin A is also anti-estrogenic and I think I read a post here on the forum that says vitamin A is necessary for making steroid synthesis enzyme to work (found it Recovering Steroidogenesis Inhibited By Alcohol And Drugs). So there is a balance we can aim for to make the best outcome.

Yea right now she's doing vitamin A and progesterone. It seems there's improvement as far as moving towards a regular cycle, but the acne still persists. Two times she has spent the day at the beach and it cleared up immensely the following couple days. I'm assuming it's the combination of blue and red light wavelengths that so many studies have found to kill the acne bacteria. We are going to try redlightmans device and see how it works out.

EIRE24

Yea right now she's doing vitamin A and progesterone. It seems there's improvement as far as moving towards a regular cycle, but the acne still persists. Two times she has spent the day at the beach and it cleared up immensely the following couple days. I'm assuming it's the combination of blue and red light wavelengths that so many studies have found to kill the acne bacteria. We are going to try redlightmans device and see how it works out.
What about an anti biotic?

OP
MB50

MB50

What about an anti biotic?

Haven't gone that route yet. It's definitely hormonal so I think she just needs something to keep the sebum production down until her hormones can level out and she can flush all the estrogen out of her tissues. i will definitely look into the anti biotic route though, I know it can't be a fun process. Thanks for the suggestion

EIRE24

Haven't gone that route yet. It's definitely hormonal so I think she just needs something to keep the sebum production down until her hormones can level out and she can flush all the estrogen out of her tissues. i will definitely look into the anti biotic route though, I know it can't be a fun process. Thanks for the suggestion
I'm actually stuck in the same situation myself. I'm not sure if it's hormonal and I'm not sure how to figure out if it is or is not. I never had acne before I started changing around my diet and eating peat like so I'm wondering maybe if I've upset my gut bacteria or is it a case of hormonal acne. I'm very close to trying an anti biotic but I'm scared it'll mess up things further

OP
MB50

MB50

I'm actually stuck in the same situation myself. I'm not sure if it's hormonal and I'm not sure how to figure out if it is or is not. I never had acne before I started changing around my diet and eating peat like so I'm wondering maybe if I've upset my gut bacteria or is it a case of hormonal acne. I'm very close to trying an anti biotic but I'm scared it'll mess up things further

How long has it been since you changed your diet? Previous history of birth control? I am almost certain it's the years of BC that is taking a while for her hormones to normalize. Iv read it can take a year in some cases

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals