Fatal Salicylate Poisoning after Topical Application

OP
cjm

cjm

Simple fact is, for a doctor or pharmaceutical exec, aspirin is bad for business.

---The story of Tylenol:

“The so-called coal tar analgesics, phenacetin and its active metabolite acetaminophen, are effective alternatives to aspirin as analgesic-antipyretics” Phenacetin: an update (Valle et al., 1979)

“In the late 1880s the dyestuffs manufacturer Friedrich Bayer & Co was looking to diversify its commercial interests and to find a use for 4-nitrophenol, a side product available in vast amounts from its synthesis of the blue dye Benzazurin G. Research director, Carl Duisberg, challenged his team to come up with an exploitable use for this compound. One of them, Oscar Hinsberg, found that, in three steps - ie reduction of NO2 to NH2; ethylation of the OH group; and finally acylation of the NH2 group - he had made a well-tolerated antipyretic and analgesic, which possessed all the advantages of Antipyrin and Antifebrin and (apparently) none of their disadvantages. His new product, phenacetin, enjoyed much popularity for almost a century as an over-the-counter remedy (often combined in tablets with caffeine and aspirin) for headaches and hangovers. However, in the 1960s evidence was mounting to suggest that phenacetin might be causing renal failure and renal tumours in some heavy users. In 1980 phenacetin was banned in the UK.” Pain relief: from coal tar to paracetamol (Brown et al., 2005)

“Typically, the nitration of phenol yields 30-40% of the 2-isomer and about 15% of the 4-isomer. Bayer was accumulating vat-loads of the latter product with no apparent commercial use. Works chemist Oskar Hinsberg was given the job of converting the waste nitrophenol into a marketable medication. Success came within a matter of weeks. Presumably he was guided by knowledge of the formulae of the existing antipyretic drugs.” The Rise and Fall of Phenacetin (Dronsfield & Ellis, 2021)

"Drugs were at first "special foods" used during times of unpleasant symptoms or during illness. Consequently most drugs were vegetable or animal, since mineral technology was undeveloped. The earliest knowledge of dyestuffs was also acquired from the vegetable and animal kingdoms, especially the former. ''Red dyestuffs were prepared from kermes, arachil, madder and henna; yellows from safflower, saffron, turmeric and pomegranate; blue from indigo and woad; purple from certain Mediterranean snails. Mordants containing iron, aluminium and copper were in use. These latter were components of readily available earths." Relationships between synthetic dyes and drug entities (Paterson, 1984)

---Here’s some Tylenol for your headache and some cocaine for your stuffy nose:

“Occasionally the coal-tar products-phenacetin, acetanilide, etc.-may be of some benefit, and no harm will come from giving them a trialIt is a good thing to apply cocaine to the vicinity of the infundibulum and turbinate fossa, either as a fine spray or on a pledget of cotton carefully adjusted. This may relieve the congestion sufficiently to allow the exudate to escape, and it will relieve the pain for a time. An oily spray with menthol is cooling to the patient, and tends to relieve congestion.” THE ANATOMY AND SURGERY OF THE FRONTAL SINUS AND ANTERIOR ETHMOIDAL CELLS. (Lothrop, 1898)

---Aspirin with Tylenol, an explanation for toxic effects:

“The first stage in the elimination of phenacetin from the body is its conversion into acetaminophen (itself later marketed as paracetamol), and aspirin potentiates the nephrotoxicity of this product. Most of the acetaminophen is converted into water-soluble glucuronides and sulfates and excreted via the urine, but 5-15% is oxidised to N-acetyl-pbenzoquinoneimine (NAPQI). If the phenacetin is consumed alone, there is usually sufficient glutathione in the kidneys’ papillae to detoxify this imine safely, by formation of the glucuronuride. If the phenacetin is ingested alongside aspirin (acetyl salicylic acid), the latter is hydrolysed to salicylate, which depletes the glutathione in both the kidney’s cortex and papillae. Thus the imine, deprived of its excretory route via the urine, remains longer within the kidney with the potential to inflict damage. There it reacts with proteins forming sulphur bridges that can cause mitochondrial dysfunction and cell destruction.” The Rise and Fall of Phenacetin (Dronsfield & Ellis, 2021)

"...phenacetin, especially in large quantities does cause alarming symptoms, chief among which may be mentioned a markedly disordered circulation accompanied with symptoms of collapse." PHENACETIN AS A TOXIC AGENT. (Cerna, 1895)

---The guy that synthesized aspirin also gave us heroin, which is another acetylated compound:

1897 Motivated by his father’s intolerance of salicylic acid, Felix Hoffman synthesises acetyl salicylic acid, named aspirin (derived from Acetyl Spirea). This had been done before in 1853 (Carl Friedrich Gerhardt) and 1869 (Kraut) but Hoffman’s method is quantitative (mixing salicylic acid and acetic hydride 2:3 before adding acetic acid) and yields pure stable aspirin. Aspirin causes less dyspepsia than salicylic acid.
1897 Eleven days later Hoffman synthesises another new compound also by acetylation (of di acetyl morphine). Bayer employees try the new substance and find it makes them feel heroic so it is called heroin. Heinrich Dreser prefers to market heroin than aspirin.
1898 Aspirin is shown to have a negative inotropic affect on frogs’ hearts. Despite this, a secret clinical trial is conducted which shows effectiveness against pain, inflammation, and fever.
1899 Aspirin is registered as a tradename.
1900 Aspirin is patented in the USA and UK. Patents are refused in Germany. Aspirin rapidly becomes popular, endorsed by Caruso and Kafka (who claimed it eased the unbearable pain of being).
COX-2 chronology (Hawkey, 2005)

---I found an interesting bit about methyl salicylate and air-borne plant defense:

“Shulaev et al. showed that methyl salicylate, commonly known as oil of winter-green, is produced as a volatile liquid by tobacco plants inoculated with tobacco mosaic virus. The methyl salicylate is synthesized from salicylic acid and can be dispersed through the air. Methyl salicylate then acts by being converted back to salicyclic acid in other nearby plants in which it carries out its protective functions. Methyl salicylate, found in many plants, may therefore be an airborne signal which activates disease resistance through the expression of defence-related genes in neighbouring plant tissue.” From plant extract to molecular panacea: a commentary on Stone (1763) ‘An account of the success of the bark of the willow in the cure of the agues’ (Wood, 2015)

Last edited:
OP
cjm

cjm

I wonder that myself. What level of absorption of just salicylates alone will occur? 50%? 85%? 100% Does it depend on the person's skin thickness and affinity for this compound? No question that covering more than 50% of the body with strong chemical solutions, 100%, may cause serious issues, and possibly kill not cure. And 100Grams of aspirin is quite a large amount in my book.

You're right, there are lots of confounders, like skin condition, the size of the application, the solvent used, etc.

But there's one old experiment that gives us a number:

“Previous experiments with GC-labeled aspirin have demonstrated excretion of radioactivity over a period of 96 hours after a single dermal application, with a bioavailability of 22% in humans. However, this method cannot discriminate between aspirin and its metabolite salicylic acid, which has little or no activity as a cyclooxygenase inhibitor. Moreover, there were no measurements of biological effect, such as inhibition of platelet cyclooxygenase, to confirm absorption of aspirin. Since aspirin is rapidly deacetylated in aqueous conditions, it is possible that only salicylic acid was absorbed." RATIONAL PHARMACEUTIC TREATMENT OF DISEASES OF THE SKIN (Goodman, 1946)

Confirming what we already know about transdermals:

"After oral aspirin 325 mg or 162.5 mg, peak plasma aspirin levels occurred at 30 to 45 minutes and were 2.0 and 1.3 jig/mL, respectively. In contrast, after dermal aspirin, plasma levels peaked at 3 hours and were substantially lower. By 24 hours, aspirin was undetectable in plasma.” RATIONAL PHARMACEUTIC TREATMENT OF DISEASES OF THE SKIN (Goodman, 1946)

OP
cjm

cjm

Regarding the 'new' jihad (Last 50 years) against aspirin by the medical establishment, how toxic aspirin is and how it can kill is a widely accepted propaganda.

Simple fact is, for a doctor or pharmaceutical exec, aspirin is bad for business.

The reason I did all this research is I fell in love with Voltaren (diclofenac) when it first came out. I always had tangible success in my more naive days with ibuprofen, I still do, but I haven't relied on it in years. Volataren was like a cheat code for administering a COX-2 inhibitor. Eventually the effects peaked and got less noticeable. Plus it's not cheap like aspirin.

I found a tube of Aspercreme lying around and got similar benefits to the first time I tried Voltaren. Aspercreme (get ready for this) is cream with aspirin with it. Technically it is trolamine salicylate, a 1:1 mix of salicylic acid and triethanolamine, or TEA:

"Triethanolamine is a tertiary amino compound that is ammonia in which each of the hydrogens is substituted by a 2-hydroxyethyl group.... it is commonly used as a pH adjuster

---They are using TEA/ammonia to raise the pH of salicylic acid in solution:

“Trolamine salicylate is the salt formed between triethanolamine and salicylic acid in a ratio of 1:1.... The triethanolamine neutralizes the acidity of the salicylic acid.Trolamine salicylate - MedKoo Product Page

"pH of saturated solution: 2.4" Salicylic Acid - Compound Summary - PubChem - NIH

“pH: 5.5 – 6.5” Material Safety Data Sheet - Aspercreme with 4% Lidocaine

“There is a high level of agreement that topical products should be acidified* and possess pH in the range of 4 to 6” Towards Optimal pH of the Skin and Topical Formulations: From the Current State of the Art to Tailored Products (Lukic et al., 2021)
*when you put it that way, the salicylic acid is technically acidifying the ammonia/TEA

---...and I don't know if ammonia is still toxic in its TEA form, but I wasn't thrilled about putting ammonia on my skin when it comes out of my armpits when I even lightly exert myself, and that's when I dropped everything, popped an Adderall, sat down, and started researching the history (and technology) of aspirin.

---Speaking of my research, guess what about Voltaren/diclofenac? Still not as good as aspirin:

“Aspirin (but not indomethacin and diclofenac) was significantly superior to placebo as regards pain relief (P < 0.05)”Topical aspirin/diethyl ether mixture versus indomethacin and diclofenac/diethyl ether mixtures for acute herpetic neuralgia and postherpetic neuralgia: a double-blind crossover placebo-controlled study (Benedittis & Lorenzetti, 1995)

Last edited:

AlaskaJono

The reason I did all this research is I fell in love with Voltaren (diclofenac) when it first came out. I always had tangible success in my more naive days with ibuprofen, I still do, but I haven't relied on it in years. Volataren was like a cheat code for administering a COX-2 inhibitor. Eventually the effects peaked and got less noticeable. Plus it's not cheap like aspirin.

I found a tube of Aspercreme lying around and got similar benefits to the first time I tried Voltaren. Aspercreme (get ready for this) is cream with aspirin with it. Technically it is trolamine salicylate, a 1:1 mix of salicylic acid and triethanolamine, or TEA:

"Triethanolamine is a tertiary amino compound that is ammonia in which each of the hydrogens is substituted by a 2-hydroxyethyl group.... it is commonly used as a pH adjuster

---They are using TEA/ammonia to raise the pH of salicylic acid in solution:

“Trolamine salicylate is the salt formed between triethanolamine and salicylic acid in a ratio of 1:1.... The triethanolamine neutralizes the acidity of the salicylic acid.Trolamine salicylate - MedKoo Product Page

"pH of saturated solution: 2.4" Salicylic Acid - Compound Summary - PubChem - NIH

“pH: 5.5 – 6.5” Material Safety Data Sheet - Aspercreme with 4% Lidocaine

“There is a high level of agreement that topical products should be acidified* and possess pH in the range of 4 to 6” Towards Optimal pH of the Skin and Topical Formulations: From the Current State of the Art to Tailored Products (Lukic et al., 2021)
*when you put it that way, the salicylic acid is technically acidifying the ammonia/TEA

---...and I don't know if ammonia is still toxic in its TEA form, but I wasn't thrilled about putting ammonia on my skin when it comes out of my armpits when I even lightly exert myself, and that's when I dropped everything, popped an Adderall, sat down, and started researching the history (and technology) of aspirin.

---Speaking of my research, guess what about Voltaren/diclofenac? Still not as good as aspirin:

“Aspirin (but not indomethacin and diclofenac) was significantly superior to placebo as regards pain relief (P < 0.05)”Topical aspirin/diethyl ether mixture versus indomethacin and diclofenac/diethyl ether mixtures for acute herpetic neuralgia and postherpetic neuralgia: a double-blind crossover placebo-controlled study (Benedittis & Lorenzetti, 1995)
I have only used Voltaren cream a few times many years ago. Once was from overuse - repetitive strain wrist situation, heavy work, and I took it easy work wise for a week and used volataren a few times a day. Then stopped. Was a lifesaver in that situation. :):

In history I have used large doses, say 800mg 4x daily for a few days, of Ibuprufen for reducing inflammation, but only for 3 or 4 days. The last 10 years or so I have only used aspirin. That Aspercreme sounds great - though minus the ammonia methinks. Cool info.

OP
cjm

cjm

I have only used Voltaren cream a few times many years ago. Once was from overuse - repetitive strain wrist situation, heavy work, and I took it easy work wise for a week and used volataren a few times a day. Then stopped. Was a lifesaver in that situation. :):

In history I have used large doses, say 800mg 4x daily for a few days, of Ibuprufen for reducing inflammation, but only for 3 or 4 days. The last 10 years or so I have only used aspirin. That Aspercreme sounds great - though minus the ammonia methinks. Cool info.

Yes, with oral ibuprofen, going boldly and packing in the top safe dose (google says the FDA states it is 40 mg/kg or 2,400 mg while the Mayo Clinic's got our back at 3,200 mg) for a short stint is the way I found to maximize the benefits and actually knock down a complaint rather than chronically tending to it.

OP
cjm

cjm

I would say if they really died because of the tincture - then it must have been some kind of contamination. I would classify the study as another attempt to vilify aspirin.

Sorry I missed this when you posted it. The author unashamedly announced his bias upfront: "Whilst aspirin has become an increasingly unfashionable poison amongst adults..." to which I added, "lol." I do think like haidut pointed out the unsafe level of alcohol in the solution is a serious oversight in the death reports and my presenting the case as an example of mere salicylate absorption. The deaths are the important part and the impact of the absorption of 70% alcohol confounds that of 20% SA, though that can mean they were poisoned twice. @Nokoni chimed in helpfully with the 2007 report which helped right the ship. I never intended to slander aspirin, quite the opposite.

akgrrrl

Gentlemen, best thread on rpf in 5 years, informative and amusing, thankyou. This affirmed some steps I learned in a spinal cord/neural rejuvenation protocol course. After a solvent or oil penetration for quicker absorption, layered wintergreen, oregano, thyme, marjoram etc followed by muscle/fascia massage, reapplication, then heat to drive it in...and a similar protocol for joints, adding topical aspirin, lidocaine, wintergreen,peppermint, to the mix. All only therapeutic grade, makes a huge difference.
I have two gents who hobble in and walk away smartly, tho I always attribute some of that to CARE and heat applications. Thanks for adding to the knowledge base. And on that, how about that pesky doctor they censored coupla decades ago that cited ibuprofen caked in the livers of 18 of his patients upon autopsy, as cause of death, cirrosis. He was elderly and selling his big practice anyway, he found the way to confirm his suspicions by getting permission of the families for autopsies. I didnt think to capture that source info so long ago, but never forgot it either. Any substance to liver's ability to filter?
Cjm, fyi electricians make upwards of $50 an hr here, IBEW is strong--and wide open spaces with clean air and water, no sweating guaranteed.

OP
cjm

cjm

Gentlemen, best thread on rpf in 5 years, informative and amusing, thankyou. This affirmed some steps I learned in a spinal cord/neural rejuvenation protocol course. After a solvent or oil penetration for quicker absorption, layered wintergreen, oregano, thyme, marjoram etc followed by muscle/fascia massage, reapplication, then heat to drive it in...and a similar protocol for joints, adding topical aspirin, lidocaine, wintergreen,peppermint, to the mix. All only therapeutic grade, makes a huge difference.
I have two gents who hobble in and walk away smartly, tho I always attribute some of that to CARE and heat applications. Thanks for adding to the knowledge base. And on that, how about that pesky doctor they censored coupla decades ago that cited ibuprofen caked in the livers of 18 of his patients upon autopsy, as cause of death, cirrosis. He was elderly and selling his big practice anyway, he found the way to confirm his suspicions by getting permission of the families for autopsies. I didnt think to capture that source info so long ago, but never forgot it either. Any substance to liver's ability to filter?

Humbled and grateful you have been enriched.

It was your posts, I believe, that encouraged me to explore either essential oils or homeopathy further.

Cjm, fyi electricians make upwards of $50 an hr here, IBEW is strong--and wide open spaces with clean air and water, no sweating guaranteed.

The local here just raised rates and they're not even AK-high yet. I want to meet Keith from Alone, and you, haha! I have no doubt y'all are sitting on some paradise.

OP
cjm

cjm

After a solvent or oil penetration for quicker absorption

I wasn't sure when to bring this next study in but I did want to emphasize how powerful salicylic acid's penetrating effect is on its own. They used to use chloroform and other volatile, inflammable solvents, because they had absorption enhancement properties similar to the ones mentioned for ethanol (not to mention chloroform and diethyl ether are cooling like menthol), but then someone thought to use a teaspoon of Vaseline:

"Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) refers to a chronic resistant pain that persists at the site of viral rash even after rash resolution. Aspirin, used topically has proven efficacious for this indication. King demonstrated the analgesic activity of aspirin by crushing aspirin tablets in chloroform and applying it over the affected site. De Benedittis et al. further proved the same response after using aspirin/diethyl ether mixture while treating PHN. Aspirin brings about pain relief in PHN by neuronal membrane stabilization, denervation hypersensitivity, and inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis. Topical aspirin used for treating PHN is obtained by crushing aspirin tablets of strength 375 mg to a fine powder and dissolving it in solvents such as diethyl ether or chloroform to get a final concentration of 75 mg of aspirin per mL of solution. However, dispensing aspirin in these inflammable solvents has its own disadvantage and safer solvents for the same would definitely be a better alternative. One such solvent used for the same is, Vaseline intensive moisturizing lotion, which has shown to be effective with aspirin in managing PHN as demonstrated by Kassirer et al. and Balakrishnan et al. Here aspirin tablet of strength 375 mg is powdered and dissolved in 5 mL of the above-mentioned moisturizing lotion to get a solution containing 75 mg/mL of aspirin. This paste is then uniformly applied over the hyperesthetic skin. Applications are done every 8 h for a period of at least 3 weeks in order to experience pain relief." Aspirin in dermatology: Revisited (Bubna, 2015)

Last edited:

akgrrrl

I wasn't sure when to bring this next study in but I did want to emphasize how powerful salicylic acid's penetrating effect is on its own. They used to use chloroform and other volatile, inflammable solvents, because they had absorption enhancement properties similar to the ones mentioned for ethanol (not to mention chloroform and diethyl ether are cooling like menthol), but then someone thought to use a teaspoon of Vaseline:

"Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) refers to a chronic resistant pain that persists at the site of viral rash even after rash resolution. Aspirin, used topically has proven efficacious for this indication. King demonstrated the analgesic activity of aspirin by crushing aspirin tablets in chloroform and applying it over the affected site. De Benedittis et al. further proved the same response after using aspirin/diethyl ether mixture while treating PHN. Aspirin brings about pain relief in PHN by neuronal membrane stabilization, denervation hypersensitivity, and inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis. Topical aspirin used for treating PHN is obtained by crushing aspirin tablets of strength 375 mg to a fine powder and dissolving it in solvents such as diethyl ether or chloroform to get a final concentration of 75 mg of aspirin per mL of solution. However, dispensing aspirin in these inflammable solvents has its own disadvantage and safer solvents for the same would definitely be a better alternative. One such solvent used for the same is, Vaseline intensive moisturizing lotion, which has shown to be effective with aspirin in managing PHN as demonstrated by Kassirer et al. and Balakrishnan et al. Here aspirin tablet of strength 375 mg is powdered and dissolved in 5 mL of the above-mentioned moisturizing lotion to get a solution containing 75 mg/mL of aspirin. This paste is then uniformly applied over the hyperesthetic skin. Applications are done every 8 h for a period of at least 3 weeks in order to experience pain relief." Aspirin in dermatology: Revisited (Bubna, 2015)
Hmm. Well now you have wanting to create my own. Been buying it already creamed, and not entirely happy with their additions. DocSandoz got me on to a good non coated 325mg tablet on Amazon I crush to powder easily.
Here I go. Pm me when you are serious about checking out your options. I have a 3rd floor rentalwith windows on all 4 sides, as B&B with references. Here a pic from the 6x8 facing west, as MtRedoubt smokes. All the furniture is 300yr old teak farm implements recrafted

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210402-200320_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210402-200320_Gallery.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200828_164836.jpg
    20200828_164836.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 11
OP
cjm

cjm

Well now you have wanting to create my own. Been buying it already creamed, and not entirely happy with their additions.

I made several creams using Lotioncrafters water-in-silicone serum kit. One of them had frickin' cistanche in it.

"You'll receive:

• 115g (3.8 oz) of Lotioncrafter Serum SE
  • 30g (1.0 oz) Dipropylene Glycol*
  • 2g (0.07 oz) Sodium Citrate
  • 2g (0.07 oz) Sodium Chloride
  • 1g (0.03 oz) Tetrasodium EDTA
  • 8g (0.25 oz) Liquid Germall Plus"
*That's a penetration enhancer. "A vehicle that has emerged over the years as a safe solubilizer and enhancer for a broad range of drug actives is the highly purified NF/EP grade of diethylene glycol** monoethyl ether (DEGEE) commercially known as Transcutol®." Skin Penetration and Permeation Properties of Transcutol®—Neat or Diluted Mixtures (Osborne & Musakhanian, 2018)

[**edit: shite, wrong molecule, but I'll find it. If I don't, just know I felt the effects of the actives I used. I bet there is some enhancement tech in the 115g "Serum SE." Propylene glycol was named along with ethanol as the most efficacious solvent for aspirin in this study I mentioned upthread: "PG permeates well through stratum corneum and its mechanisms of action are probably similar to those suggested for ethanol."]

Here I go. Pm me when you are serious about checking out your options. I have a 3rd floor rentalwith windows on all 4 sides, as B&B with references. Here a pic from the 6x8 facing west, as MtRedoubt smokes. All the furniture is 300yr old teak farm implements recrafted

If I was going to do it any time soon, and I might -- you never know when you know the seat of your pants is driving, this rental would be the perfect enticement. It is a charming set-up. My first day is tomorrow, lemme see how it goes before I start packing.

Last edited:

AlaskaJono

@cjm @akgrrrl
Is DMSO safe to use as a 'penetration enhancer' for essential oils application? A number of folks near me are doing this. I take the 'enhancement' aspect of DMSO seriously, therefore I am checking with you two (and anyone else) who has experience. I think it is potentially negative in the extreme, especially for ill and older folks. I noticed you both did not mention using it, therefore there must be some reason based on knowledge or experience.

Can you recommend (easily available) safe solvents for skin? MCT oil seems to be neutral. Oily but sticky. Thanks.

My personal experience with DMSO is only using it with Magnesium Oil. Or alone, for muscle injury, ruptured disc, etc.. . Never had an issue as long as I dilute it with a little water, so say 75-80% DMSO, then no skin rashes for me.

And I must say it is great to see such Collaboration on here. Carry on.

OP
cjm

cjm

I noticed you both did not mention using it, therefore there must be some reason based on knowledge or experience

It gives me an odor. Only reason why I didn't pursue research on it. IIRC, the DMSO is essential for transmission of the salt of magnesium contained in Magnoil.

OP
cjm

cjm

Can you recommend (easily available) safe solvents for skin? MCT oil seems to be neutral. Oily but sticky. Thanks.

MCT should absorb/carry, my research is light there as well. I intentionally neglected investigating the saturated fatty acid ester technology in a lot of Idealabs supplements to focus on more "primitive" solvents, but there is a clue in there. The key for me, for us, is ease of use. I don't know if any old skin cream from your grocery store would work, it may. We gotta look at Vaseline Intensive Care in light of the herpes pain treatment and maybe make safe generalizations about what ingredients would work.

Nokoni

Can you recommend (easily available) safe solvents for skin?
I think maybe @cjm missed this little piece of your post. He talked about others above, if I'm not mistaken. I believe alcohol is on the list, so maybe just vodka.

Nokoni

MCT should absorb/carry, my research is light there as well. I intentionally neglected investigating the saturated fatty acid ester technology in a lot of Idealabs supplements to focus on more "primitive" solvents, but there is a clue in there. The key for me, for us, is ease of use. I don't know if any old skin cream from your grocery store would work, it may. We gotta look at Vaseline Intensive Care in light of the herpes pain treatment and maybe make safe generalizations about what ingredients would work.
Whoops! Pardon me for stepping on your toes, lol.

AlaskaJono

It gives me an odor. Only reason why I didn't pursue research on it. IIRC, the DMSO is essential for transmission of the salt of magnesium contained in Magnoil.
Yes, the odor is similar to garlic. But I eat garlic almost daily, so there's that. Actually after an hour or so I do not smell that odor anymore.

I was more curious to see if there is an issue with bringing (with DMSO or similar) essential oils through the skin may cause negative issues.

And totally agree, Hail Haidut, and his 'side job' of Idealabs. :):

Jo Ro

Salicylate Poisoning? I'm surprised these weren't classified as Covid-19 deaths.

Maybe the doctors just forgot to run post-mortem PCR tests to get that result. But seems like doctors are forgetting to run those test nowadays, since all the money has dried up. Money memory, kinda like muscle memory.

AlaskaJono

I think maybe @cjm missed this little piece of your post. He talked about others above, if I'm not mistaken. I believe alcohol is on the list, so maybe just vodka.
Thanks. Yep, simple alcohol. Here in Australia even rubbing alcohol is relatively expensive,???, crazy, And cheap vodka is not that cheap, but.... available. Forget about Toes, we are all dancing.... .

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals