Exercise

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
Doesn't seem like much of a workout.

We dont need huge, long, complicated workouts. 5/3/1 proves that. Plus, being on Peat, this workout is right up our alley. I got the strongest I have ever gotten on this workout. The volume is perfect. It works.

kettlebell

Charlie said:
narouz said:

We dont need huge, long, complicated workouts. 5/3/1 proves that. Plus, being on Peat, this workout is right up our alley. I got the strongest I have ever gotten on this workout. The volume is perfect. It works.

Have you Read the book "Easy Strength" by Dan John and Pavel Tsatsouline?

There is an interesting section where they talk about a guy who goes running but very very slowly so he never opens his mouth. He runs very relaxed. It seems to fit in with Rays philosophy. No where near lactic acid concerns, staying relaxed and breathing only through the nose. Quite an interesting read.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No, never have read it.

narouz

kettlebell said:
Charlie said:
narouz said:

Have you Read the book "Easy Strength" by Dan John and Pavel Tsatsouline?

There is an interesting section where they talk about a guy who goes running but very very slowly so he never opens his mouth. He runs very relaxed. It seems to fit in with Rays philosophy. No where near lactic acid concerns, staying relaxed and breathing only through the nose. Quite an interesting read.

That's interesting.
I'll have to check that out!

narouz

gabriel79 said:
Hi Narouz,
Here´s a good explanation of 5/3/1
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... e_strength

If you can tolerate that t-nation takes 3 pages to write what can be said in 3 paragraphs...

Basically you have a 5/3/1 "core" that is always the same regardless the variation you pick; based on a progression from week to week. You pick a complex movement (one of the powerlifting exercises usually) and do sets of 5 for the 1st week, sets of 3 for 2nd week and sets of 5,3,1 for the 3rd; increasing load and taking the last set of every workout to "almost" failure (say, 1 rep before failure)
Then there´s the accessory part of the day where you put different exercises to either a) support your main core lift; or b) avoid inbalances. There´re different accessory programs, which go by different names, like "the triumvirate", "boring but big" or just no accessory.

Thanks gabriel79.
I feel some dim light shining upon my brain now.

So...the sets never go beyond 5 repetitions,
no matter the exercise?
(I will go read that t-nation thing ;) )

kettlebell

Hi Narouz,

The 5-3-1 scheme is for the main exercises only: Bench, Military Press, Squat, Deadlift.

On the assistance exercise (Whichever you choose) You tend to stick with the 5 X 10 rep scheme but generally working with a weight at about 50% of your 1-3rm so working to failure is a no no.

narouz

kettlebell said:
Hi Narouz,

The 5-3-1 scheme is for the main exercises only: Bench, Military Press, Squat, Deadlift.

On the assistance exercise (Whichever you choose) You tend to stick with the 5 X 10 rep scheme but generally working with a weight at about 50% of your 1-3rm so working to failure is a no no.

Thanks, kb.
(What is "rm"?)
I don't belong to a gym.
Does Wendler (or anyone) adapt this to a non-free weight/machines scenario?

A broader, related question for kettle or anyone:
Anybody have a favorite non-gym style workout
that is Peat adaptable?
I guess I'm thinking mostly of a resistance kind of workout.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Narouz, bodyweight workouts kick butt too!

Pushups, pullups, squats, pistol squats, headstand pushups, dips, etc etc. Maybe look for a good bodyweight program.

gabriel79

I wouldn´t go too heavy with machines (I mean, if it feels too heavy for you) because I feel the fixed movement is harder on joints. That means you´ll probably need to increase the volume and 5/3/1 won´t fit.
OTOH, as Charlie says, chin ups and some pushups and dips can be great. But they´re part of the conditioning work in 5/3/1, not the core.

kettlebell

I had to know more. Victor graciously described his training:
• Low mileage. I only ran 30 miles per week in preparation for the 100-miler. The most important training event for ultramarathons is the weekly long run. I kept my heart rate low and breathed through my nose during training runs, and I think that this helped to minimize muscle damage. I can run 20 miles on a Sunday and still perform strength exercises on Monday.
The key is having the LOW INTENSITY. I use a heart rate monitor, and I stay at 60% to 65% of my MHR. This means that I am often walking on the hills. If I ran 20 miles at 70% to 75% MHR, my recovery time would be much longer.
Easy Strength - Pavel Tsatsouline and Dan John

This is the exceprt I was talking about.

The mileage/duration doesn't fit with a Ray Peat approach but the method certainly does, so done for less mileage/duration could be a viable part of training to lower any bad impact on health.

gretchen

I worked out like a maniac in the summer of 2011: a lot of burpees, weights, and intervals. Really just PX90, glorified cardio. Endurance exercise (intervals do border on being endurance-like) is useless. Great for the endorphin high (peat actually says endorphins are aging) and good for burning some fat off but so stressful. I got my waist down to 23 inches which was nice, I guess..... I definitely need to do something because that size 0 is long gone. But the thought of even doing a short work out, which I am perfectly capable of doing, turns me off.

Asimov

I exercise, pretty intensely. But for me, exercise it's self is the goal, not health or longevity.

If you're looking for the optimal amount of exercise for health and longevity, a daily walk or some moderate duty gardening work is the best.

If you want to exercise despite the damage it does to your body, do big warm-ups, brief and intense work sets, and give yourself plenty of time to recover between workouts.

Take salt before training, sugar and sat fat if you haven't yet eaten, and sugar and protein afterwards.

coatue

Hi KB. Are you using gelatin or collagen hydrosylate (green can) for ur OJ mix?

kettlebell said:
Hi and Welcome to the forum! :welcome2 :welcome2 :welcome :welcome2

A glass of orange juice? Fruit and protein?

All of the above is best. Digestion is always quickest when you combine more than one macronutrient.

I personally have OJ and coconut water mixed with a few teaspoons of sugar and a couple of table spoons of gelatin. I always down a 1/4 teaspoon of salt or bicarbonate of soda too.

Sugar, Protein, Salt, Magnesium, potassium, many other nutrients.

Thats what I drink before and during a workout. That keeps me feeling almost completely stress free during the training.

Straight after training I have a large glass of milk with sugar in it and often a tablespoon of coconut oil. Another bit of salt too as that really keeps the stress response suppressed.

One study showed that giving bicarbonate of soda to athletes in the death valley race significantly reduced their stress levels during the race. Googling it should bring up the study. I use bicarb several times a day. Bag breathing has the same effect.

Intervals are much better than steady long endurance. Get your students to do bag breathing between rounds. That will help A LOT with reducing the stress hormones. Plenty of OJ + gelatin drinks too.

Stopping the round before mouth breathing starts is always a good idea but I think in a lot of sports (Including yours) its more about mitigating the stress rather than stopping it altogether.

Most sports are not healthy. Its a case of accepting that its not healthy and then just balancing minimising of the damaging effects with maximising the skill/attributes the athlete needs to perform his/her sport well.

kettlebell

Hi Coatue,

Yes I use the Green Can (Hydro) Gelatin in my OJ. That is my goto protein shake these days. Its easy to mix, I dont need to warm it or anything, I just stir rapidly with a fork as I free pour it in to the OJ.

jyb

Bicarbonate soda gives me diarrhea. I don't understand why, there's no added ingredient...

Asimov

jyb said:
Bicarbonate soda gives me diarrhea. I don't understand why, there's no added ingredient...
The sodium and C2 get cleaved in your stomach. Sodium is massively hygroscopic, and if the salt concentration in your intestines is higher than the salt concentration in your blood serum, water will flow towards the gradient, out of your stomach and into your small intestine. By the time your normal volume of feces gets to your large intestine, it's going to be loaded with water, officially making it diarrhea.

For the record, this is exactly what happens when you drink sea water. It ONLY becomes an issue when the salt concentration of your stomach is higher than your blood (which is pretty high). Otherwise, salt (and the water following it) will flow downhill normally, out of your stomach and into your body.

Maybe try halving bicarbonate until you get normal bowel movements or introducing a larger fecal load to be combined with sodium bicarbonate, essentially "diluting" your bicarbonate with food.

kiran

Asimov said:
jyb said:
For the record, this is exactly what happens when you drink sea water. It ONLY becomes an issue when the salt concentration of your stomach is higher than your blood (which is pretty high). Otherwise, salt (and the water following it) will flow downhill normally, out of your stomach and into your body.

You can't drink sea water straight, but you can use it to stretch other water supplies by mixing a bit of sea water.

http://ask.metafilter.com/158682/How-Mu ... fely-Drink

gretchen

Well, now I'm busting out of my 25s and kinda worried. Should I do some intervals? I don't have heavy weights and also no gym membership. I need to lose some weight before spring.

sctb

gretchen said:
Well, now I'm busting out of my 25s and kinda worried. Should I do some intervals? I don't have heavy weights and also no gym membership. I need to lose some weight before spring.

Can you do pushups and squats? I don't personally like to do intervals or
any other kind of cardio because it's not fun and it doesn't feel good :)

- SCott

Asimov

kiran said:
Asimov said:
jyb said:

You can't drink sea water straight, but you can use it to stretch other water supplies by mixing a bit of sea water.

http://ask.metafilter.com/158682/How-Mu ... fely-Drink
Logically, I would agree. Like I said, it ONLY becomes an issue when the salt concentration of the contents of your digestive tract is HIGHER than the salt concentration of your blood. This creates a negative gradient, causing water to flow out through the small intestine rather than in (which is the intended function). By diluting salt water with fresh water, obviously, you can lower to the salt concentration to a safe level to prevent dehydration.

I say logically, because that's what the science says. However, pragmatically, I've never drank more than cursory amounts of seawater, accidentally ingested during trips to the beach. Sea water is about 4 times saltier than blood, so I'd guess seawater dilution by a factor of 4 would probably make it safe to drink.

Not that I advocate it ever, but I'd think a 5 to 1 diluation of fresh to salt would probably be safe to drink in a desperate situation ie: survival situation in the ocean with limited quantities of fresh water and uncertain timeline for rescue.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals