Weight Training, Building Muscle, Lossing Fat, Health Etc

superhuman

Hello

I was wondering if any of you guys are serious into bodybuilding or athlethics. Im into lifting weights and looking great with some good amount of muscle like Brad Pitt in Troja or like an model or fitness model.
So my main goal is to build some muscle and loose fat.

Would be really cool if others on this forum following RP`s diet advice managed to do the same and could share their experiences with it.

In terms of my questions are these.

1. What have you found as an optimal workout frequency for building muscle? there is so much disussions out there in the fitness industry some claiming overtraining are easy to achieve some say its impossible. Some say low volume/frequency and high intensity are key to building muscle like say working out 3 times a week just hitting 1 muscle one time a week, then there are som saying you have to hit it 2-3 times a week etc.
What have been your guyses experience? based on building muscle, health, thyroid and everything.

2. In terms of nutrition there is alot of stuff there as well. Esp in regards to protein. I know RP says one never needs more then 150g a day, then there are some saying for lean people that workout and want to loose bodyfat you need as much as 3.1g/lean body mass in kg. Then there are some that say you only need 80-120grams.
What has been your experience with all this?

Maybe i forgot something more but fire away with what you have learned along the way and also provide pictures if you can :D

aquaman

I think the help you get on this site will be limited (but would be a nice surprise if it's good!). Mainly because Peat's work is about using other markers as your test of health, not looking ripped

But focusing on pulse and temperatures, digestion, bowel movements, sleep, general anxiety levels, sexual functions etc.

These take precedent over losing body fat as a sign of good health.

Here's a few pointers I have learned over last 18 months (I'm 33 and have been working out relatively regularly since 18). Most of this comes from working with a personal trainer who is *different* to the norm, as well as applying it to Peat's work.

- your training will be very determined by your own starting point and body situation. Not just your experience but your response to stress. THis can be seen by heart rate and pulse comparisons before and 1 hour after training. Continually elevated pulse and temp = stress hormones too much. Also my sleep is affected if i exercise too hard in the day, so I can notice it this way

- it's possible to build muscle with low training volume. Muscle-mind connection is extremely important and allows this to happen, as well as needing less recovery.

- I've added about 20 pounds in the last 9 months (now 212), partly because I wanted to, and partly because of the Peat diet. I have more body fat but this is part of plan over winter to get health back. My training now is focused on 25-40 minute sessions (10 min warm up), 2-4 times a week depending on rest, recovery, diet, sleep etc.

I'm still perhaps overdoing it at times, as my sleep is affected regularly. I don't get injured or sick like I used to when I'd train regularly though.

- I generally now do 5-0-5-0 timing (5 up, no pause, 5 down). I have seen this build muscle with less volume, works for me. On the eccentric contraction, make it a genuine contraction, this takes practice and bio feedback.

- at 5-0-5-0 at 6 reps, one exercise will take around 60 seconds. with 2 mins rest between sets to allow recovery, 3 sets takes around 10 mins with setup.

- 4 exercises takes 40 mins - this is what I limit to. Often less.

- more carbs help build muscle and help recovery, and you can eat a ton after training

- i think around 1 gram of protein per pound is more than enough. For me this would be 210, so even too much. 0.6/0.7 seems good to me.

- for a 180lb male, I think 120-150grams would be enough if you are getting enough carbs.

- 12 exercises in 3 sessions isn't much per week, but if you bring the right intensity and focus you can grow, especially if eating enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curt :-)

Hey brother, good question :) I shall share my thoughts

Firstly, I think there is no optimal frequency. Just listen to your body. I know that's the lamest advice ever, but this is the only way forward. Trust me on this one; I've studied all of the great strength coaches, Charles Poliquin in particular, and they have rigid programs that don't take into account your ability to recover from workouts. It's so stupid it makes me wanna punch a puppy (joking- they're too cute to punch). They think the body works on some strength training biological/circadian cycle of 2 days on/1 day off, or whatever the fad is at that time. Your body does not give a ***t what your program says; it's just words on paper. You're either ready to train again of you're not. I did this ***t for years man, completely ignoring the fact that it just doesn't work (reminds me of my cardio days). Some people can get away with training like they're possessed, others (like us hypo folks), just can't. It sucks, coz I'd love to be able to train everyday (love that ***t!), but my recovery is just not there yet (it is improving since starting Peaty a few months ago).
I generally train every second day, but my workouts are brief and only so intense. If I push particularly hard, I'll take 2 days off, no sweat.

In regards to nutrition, I think protein (and fat) recommendations are excessive in strength training circles because people tend to go low carb, and of course, the calories have to come from somewhere. 350 grams of protein and 50 grams of carbs? What the f**k?

north

Drink a ton of milk after training and OJ before :)
Thats how i Peatified my training.
I started getting size when i did compound-moves.
For me, progressively increasing in compound lifts and eating a ton during post workout time has given me better results in 8 months then everything i did before that, for like 5 years haha.
I train less, eat more. That gave me results.
3 days/week.
Deadlift + accessory
Bench + accessory
Squat + accessory.
Each takes about 45 min with chill warmup etc.
I learned that more is not better, seems to be very true when natural.

aquaman

prototypejohn said:
For me, progressively increasing in compound lifts and eating a ton during post workout time has given me better results in 8 months then everything i did before that, for like 5 years haha.
3 days/week.
Deadlift + accessory
Bench + accessory
Squat + accessory.

how many exercises per workout? Is it only 2 ?

how many sets and reps per set?

superhuman

prototypejohn said:
3 days/week.
Deadlift + accessory
Bench + accessory
Squat + accessory.

Thats great and i agree with you in terms of your muscle building program.

What about fat loss? how many calories do you eat? what is the macro nutrient breakdown in terms of fat,protein,carbs. Whats your body fat % ? etc :)

north

Aquaman:

Per workout, i try to limit my training to no more than 9 sets in total (working sets). Usually 7-8.
I also do warmup-sets for the compound lifts.
For example:
Warmup: 50% of max weight x 3 rep, 60%x3, 70%x3, 80%x3.
Rest 4-5 min.
Deadlift 3 sets
Weighted chins 3 set
Pendlay row 2 set

I usually go about 6 weeks then i make a change, for ex:
Deadlift 4 Set (less reps)
Pendlay row 2 set
Pullups 1 set
Db Rear fly 1 set

I usually stay in 5-8 rep range. For some smaller stuff like pushups or if i do only 1 set i go higher like 7-10 reps.

Superhuman:
I was pretty skinny before i started training like this, like 73kg. Now im 84. (3kg of those are from gained fat).
Before Peat i was circulating at 6-8% BF during different periods. It was pretty easy since i did intermittent fasting.
My diet eventually caused me to crash (tons of PUFA and starches also late nights), i found Peat, thought i have nothing to loose and for now i will not prioritize BF% first. Now im at 10-11% BF, which ive been for about 2 months and im planning on staying at this for now, maybe go down to 8-9 as long as i feel good.

For training days i eat about 3300kcal which for me is about 20% surplus. On resting days i eat at maybe -5% - 0% lower than daily requirement. I circle fats and carbs. T-day i eat about 500g carbs, R-day about 300. I keep protein at around 160-170g/day. Then fill out the rest with fat to get my kcal right.

I have noticed very good results lately, pretty sure thanks to Peat-eating!

I would propose that the most important thing to get good results are:
*Keep a log, write down weights reps etc. Try to improve all the time and if you cant add weight, add a rep.
*Keep it simple and dont do a lot of unnecessary stuff (I got bigger arms then ever when i never did direct armwork, only from heavy bench and weighted chins).
*Eat a ton post workout.
*Kcal surplus on training day, less on rest day (depending on your goal. Go minus for fat-loss but always surplus on training day)

This is what works best for me :)

tca300

ok bud :) Consuming more than .82 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight wont benefit you any
more. So shoot for .82 grams per pound of bodyweight ( of complete protein, not including egg whites or gelatin )
Optimal training frequency is working each muscle 2 times per week, which is like working a certain
muscle every 4-6 days, unless you have been training consistently for several months, then you should take a few week or even a month off.
Ray peats diet is pretty good for building muscle, but not optimal. I say this because Starch is superior for building muscle than sugar, ( because of insulin ) but is extra muscle worth the negative effects of starch?? I will leave that up to you.
I have been weightlifting for 13+ years, and know my stuff. If I didn't address a certain question or if you have any other questions just ask me.

superhuman

tca300 said:
ok bud :) Consuming more than .82 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight wont benefit you any
more. So shoot for .82 grams per pound of bodyweight ( of complete protein, not including egg whites or gelatin )
Optimal training frequency is working each muscle 2 times per week, which is like working a certain
muscle every 4-6 days, unless you have been training consistently for several months, then you should take a few week or even a month off.
Ray peats diet is pretty good for building muscle, but not optimal. I say this because Starch is superior for building muscle than sugar, ( because of insulin ) but is extra muscle worth the negative effects of starch?? I will leave that up to you.
I have been weightlifting for 13+ years, and know my stuff. If I didn't address a certain question or if you have any other questions just ask me.

Thanx a ton.

Yeah then i will drop the starch for sure. I have a good amount of muscle now and i dont want to be a huge guy, i just want some muscles but most importantly i want to get really lean. Like 5-8% bodyfat but without suffering by going very low kcals, and all that stuff. Like i want to thrive and have low bodyfat and ofc low estrogen and all that.

How would you approach that in terms of nutrition?

Like how low fat? meal frequency? thyroid supplements etc?

Im a very active guy, lifting weights, doing sports have an active job.