Exercise

narouz

BingDing said:
I'm not sure if Narouz ever figured this out but I sure didn't. But found this explanation which finally made sense.

Thanks, BingDing.
I haven't studied that, but scanning through it did seem less opaque.
As I think gabriel79 noted earlier,
if I don't belong to a gym
a lot of the 5/3/1 method will probably not work for me
(although perhaps it could be adapted?).

If I'm doing a google search for the kind of resistance exercise routines done without weights and machines...
would those routines be categorized/called "body weight exercises"...?
Are there other handles?

sctb

The term calisthenics is also used to refer to exercise movements that
do not require equipment.

- Scott

narouz

sctb said:
do not require equipment.- Scott

Yeah, but those are usually--at least I usually think of them as having a strongly aerobic effect:
they leave you breathless (bad in Peat's view).

So I was wondering what one calls resistance, non-breathless exercises.

sctb

narouz said:
sctb said:
do not require equipment.- Scott

Yeah, but those are usually--at least I usually think of them as having a strongly aerobic effect:
they leave you breathless (bad in Peat's view).

So I was wondering what one calls resistance, non-breathless exercises.

I didn't think the name calisthenics implied aerobic, but I could be wrong.

I would consider push-ups and squats to be the most straight-foward
and easily scaled movements. Difficulty can be adjusted to eliminate
mouth breathing and lactic acid build-up. Here would be an example
progression:

Pushups
  • Pushups from knees
  • Standard shoulder-width pushups
  • Narrow-width pushups
  • Low pushups (hands at stomach-height)
  • One-armed pushup from knees
  • One-armed pushup

Squats
  • Half-squats
  • Standard squats
  • One-legged squat (moving the opposite knee down to the floor)
  • One-legged squat (opposite leg straight out in front of the body)
If you can do enough one-legged squats to induce breathlessness,
you're in good shape! ;)

- Scott

narouz

Thanks Scott.
Yes, push-ups.
And I have access at a park to a pull-up bar.
I've thought of lunges.
There's a thing there for dips.
And for sit-ups.
And for hanging and doing...I don't know what you call them--raising your knees up.
And--if I could do one!--a handstand push-up...don't think I can.
I could do a short intense sprint without getting very breathless.
What they call "burpees," done slowly so as not to get breathless, would be good.
What is it when you squat then throw your legs out in front?--is that a "pistol squat"?
I could hang upside down and do a "sit-up."

Those are the kind of exercises I'm thinking of.
If anybody has a favorite program...let me know. :)

BingDing

Those would definitely make for a good program, Narouz. Alternating upper body one day and lower body the next is pretty common advice, and doing one core/major per day plus some smaller muscles still makes sense. I've got a couple sets of dumbbells and a bar at home, which is enough.

I'm looking forward to this 5/3/1 deal, warm up and 15 reps in 20 minutes is a dream. I've probably never been replete in magnesium and sodium before, I can feel the muscle difference just in walking and stretching, and this is 2-3 times as much protein as I've ever used. I've definitely gained muscle just from real light lifting and my usual activity.

One question. Someone suggested 3-5pm as a good/best time to lift. I usually feel like doing it late morningish, and I try to walk an hour or two in the early afternoon which doesn't mesh real well with that. How much difference does it make?

Thanks

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Myself, I wouldn't walk on workout day. But, if I HAD to. It would be a very nice, relaxing stroll. Nothing more.

narouz

key said:
http://archive.kmud.org/m3u.php?mp3fil=46533

In the most recent interview Ray basically infers the more muscle the better.

I'm not sure I heard that one
but I have heard him be pro muscle.

It always seems as if by muscle he means normal, heathy, non-Schwartzenger type muscles.

It would very much surprise me if Peat really thinks that
whoever builds the most massive muscle mass
will also be the healthiest and most long-lived and happiest guy or gal...
that would surprise me.
I could be wrong!

key

'whoever builds the most massive muscle mass
will also be the healthiest and most long-lived and happiest guy or gal'

I think
1)after a certain level muscle mass benefits flatten out
2)all other factors being equal muscle mass is best predictor of health/longevity(accounting for #1)

pboy

hmm...its probably something like having more muscle increases metabolism and then you get all the benefits that come with that, but at a certain point
to maintain a certain level of muscle mass would invariably begin to take too much time, money, and excersize and at that point become stressful.
I guess right at the crux would be optimum? From what I read people who tend to walk and garden live a long time but not elite athletes. A very interesting topic indeed

gretchen

My temperature is below 98 almost 48 hours after doing a 20 minute interval workout. I've heard raising the heart rate is metabolically suppressive. Is this true?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Stress is metabolically suppressive. I have given up on working out for prolly a year or two. It never fails to drop my temps. Obviously, I am not healthy enough to handle it. Oh well.

biggirlkisss

When you exercise you produce lactic acid. Lactic acid is the toxic to the body. You can try to counter this but it can be more harmful then good. It has benefits of course but depending on the person and the type of exercise. It can create more problems then solve.

5magicbeans

Charlie,
I would greatly appreciate your help with this....
I found this Wendler 2 day routine online and would like to attempt it....very light of course.
However in my usual brain fog state I'm not able to grasp how the 5/3/1 part is done. i.e. "Deadlift 5/3/1". Does it mean 5 sets of 5, 3 sets of 5, then 1 set of 5? I feel like such a dunderhead ;)

Thanks!

Jim Wendler provides a 2 day per week training solution.

Week 1:

Monday: Squats 5/3/1, leg press 5 x 10, stiff leg deads 5 x 10, abs
Thursday: Bench press 5/3/1, dumbbell press 5 x 10, dumbbell row 5 x 10, biceps curls (yes, curls).

Week 2:

Monday: Deadlift 5/3/1, safety bar squat 5 x 10, good mornings 5 x 10, abs
Thursday: Overhead press 5/3/1, chin-ups 5 x 10, dips 5 x 10, biceps curls (no, the joke isn’t on you, biceps curls).

Include three days of hard conditioning (hill sprints) on nonconsecutive days.
(um. ya...maybe if there is a gigantic chocolate bar at the top of the hill. :D )

Jenn

biggirlkiss said:
When you exercise you produce lactic acid. Lactic acid is the toxic to the body. You can try to counter this but it can be more harmful then good. It has benefits of course but depending on the person and the type of exercise. It can create more problems then solve.

When you exercise more than you can handle, you produce lactic acid. If you can carry on a conversation easily, you are maintaining appropriate respiration.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
5magicbeans said:
Charlie,
I would greatly appreciate your help with this....
I found this Wendler 2 day routine online and would like to attempt it....very light of course.
However in my usual brain fog state I'm not able to grasp how the 5/3/1 part is done. i.e. "Deadlift 5/3/1". Does it mean 5 sets of 5, 3 sets of 5, then 1 set of 5? I feel like such a dunderhead ;)

Thanks!

Jim Wendler provides a 2 day per week training solution.

Week 1:

Monday: Squats 5/3/1, leg press 5 x 10, stiff leg deads 5 x 10, abs
Thursday: Bench press 5/3/1, dumbbell press 5 x 10, dumbbell row 5 x 10, biceps curls (yes, curls).

Week 2:

Monday: Deadlift 5/3/1, safety bar squat 5 x 10, good mornings 5 x 10, abs
Thursday: Overhead press 5/3/1, chin-ups 5 x 10, dips 5 x 10, biceps curls (no, the joke isn’t on you, biceps curls).

Include three days of hard conditioning (hill sprints) on nonconsecutive days.
(um. ya...maybe if there is a gigantic chocolate bar at the top of the hill. :D )

He just means do the reps of the 5/3/1 plan. I posted a calculator in this thread that you punch your numbers into and it will put out the plan for you. So you would just follow the plan. I would not do more the two days a week. Heck, I am even thinking of trying one day a week because I do not feel my body is able to recover any faster.

montmorency

I was thinking about this the other night. If we look at nature, what do lions and tigers do?

In between kills, not a great deal, so far as I know. And yet they remain lean and toned, and can outrun most things on two or four legs when they need to.

They (presumably) eat a diet that's just right for them (or they would not have survived). Maybe if we could find the diet that's just right for us, we could live well without doing any exercise.

I know it's dangerous to try to guess exactly how our prehistoric ancestors lived, but it seems unlikely that they took much exercise beyond hunting, building shelter, and occasionally fighting.

Peat's_Girl

Not entirely related but, what about exercising when you're really overweight and pretty much everything makes you breathless? ;c

I've been exercising for a while in the hopes of losing weight but for naught... I didn't even manage to get any stronger and experience a lot of back and muscle pain on sort of a daily basis... (I was doing HIIT but only for 15m, 3-5 times a week.)

Any advice? Should I hold off the exercise?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals