Exercise

Dutchie

Thanx 4 the suggestions on Wendler's program. I did some research on it,but it requires quite some math.....which was always my weak spot....and like said,all that 'fitness-language and schemes' really confuses me and throws me off.
I really need very simple breakdown kiddy explanation on all these protocols and schemes. ;)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dutchie, I made it as simple as possible for you. Look back at my post and you will see a calulator attached to it. Download it, and you only have to fill in the green areas and thats it. It figures it all out for you.

In my honest opinion, you will not find a much better program.

Ryan999

I would think lifting heavy with low reps and sets (low volume) focusing on the big movements would be best, being sure to rest plenty in between. I would think strength training in this manner is probably the best option long term just for general of the bones, ligaments, posture, etc. and is probably better than doing nothing at all.

This method of training really gives the central nervous system a hard workout though, does anyone know what implications this could have in relation to achieving "Peat type" health? The night after a heavy set of deadlifts I notice I need about an extra 30 minutes to an hour of sleep, so it must be stressful in some capacity.

gretchen

I exercised a lot in my teens and 20s; a lot of high impact aerobics. I didn't exercise as much in my 30s and noticed a difference. For a while I went to a gym, but that seemed to tire me out more. I agree with Mark Sisson about exercise- walking and weight lifting gives the best results. I walk an hour most days and lift weights 20-25 minutes 2-3 days a week. My goal isn't so much to be super fit as it is to maintain fitness and stay active.

gretchen

[moderator edit: topics merged]

So, it's that time of year when people make resolutions to get in shape. I'm pretty sure Peat is against cardiovascular exercise, so I assume most of us will not be planning to lace up our shoes and run. :)

What type exercise do you currently do and what are your plans for the year so far as fitness is concerned?

Do you think exercise contributes to your overall health, or adds more stress e.g., either the actual exercise itself or the concept of needing to exercise?

What are your past experiences with exercise?

gretchen

It didn't pull up in the search. In any case, I don't plan on doing anything except walk, lift light weights and maybe a little interval training/sprints.

chris

That sounds alright, of the top of my head I can only recall Peat saying negative things about endurance exercise. Just try not to do too much if your body is still recovering or healing.

cocojay

gretchen said:
It didn't pull up in the search. In any case, I don't plan on doing anything except walk, lift light weights and maybe a little interval training/sprints.

Hi Gretchen - this is essentially my plan also. I walk to and from work (half an hour each way) most days, and perform squats, lunges, planks and a couple of different types of push-ups every other day.

Whenever I go walking, I always dress appropriately in case I feel like doing sprints. Sometimes I'll go walking, and I just really feel like running, so I go with it - other times, I can feel my body needs more of a relax, so I just keep walking. If I've been in a healthy state for awhile (good food, sleep, less stress etc) then I find that my body wants to sprint once or twice a week. I much prefer that, rather than forcing myself even when I don't feel like it - very un-Peat I think!

I used to run most days of the week, and spent a lot of money on gym memberships - and felt beat down almost all the time, and became sick often. No more! :D

Also I think incidental exercise is good - getting off the tram a stop early, parking the car further from the supermarket, taking the stairs instead of the escalator (I love powering past people two stairs at a time at the train station!).

J

j.

gretchen said:
Does anyone else not feel like exercising? Ugh, just can't get back in to it.

I hope to feel like exercising at some point. If that happens, I'll do it.

HDD

I really like dancing. We have an Xbox dance game. Is dancing too stressful?

R

ratcheer

Haagendazendiane said:
I really like dancing. We have an Xbox dance game. Is dancing too stressful?

Basically if you had a good time - are laughing, flushed, happy - then it's perfect. If it's a slog - pushing yourself, can't get to sleep, really tired the next day, and not "happy" - then it's too stressful.

HDD

Always for fun and laughs with girls in the family. I just need to do it more and eat less ice cream.

jyb

A relevant question asked by McDici on Danny Roddy's blog:

Questions for Danny:

(1) how is exercise seen through lens of Peat?

Muscle-building concentric exercise is generally considered to be anabolic but has short term stress/lactic acid increases.

Aerobic exercise e.g. jogging for 30-45 minutes at 60% max heart rate has been shown to positively impact the body and the brain (checkout the book 'Spark' to see how exercise affects cognition) but I get the feeling Peat is against this type of exercise because of the stress it causes.

Which leads me to: (2) is all stress bad? Isn't there something like eustress which is good stress that elicits positive adaptations in the organism?
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2013...olf-and-chris-kressers-paleologix-supplements

cliff

If you took breaks 30-40 minutes of jogging at 60% hr doesn't seem too bad, assuming you had good form. In my opinion you probably just want to avoid to the point where you can't breath through your nose somewhat comfortably so you don't hyperventilate and blow off too much co2

bradley

Charlie, for the Wendler program, how much rest time do you allow between sets? And do you just focus on one of the mahor exercises per workout?

Charlie said:
Starting strength is too much volume when trying to heal. I would go with Wendlers 5/3/1 program. With bodyweight exercises for the accessories. Get in and out in under 30 minutes, try even for 20 minutes. With warm up and all I am done in 30 minutes.

I will attach a calculator, on the green boxes where is says 100 put in the weight you want to train at. Start extremely low. If you think you want to train at 100, then I suggest start at 50 or 60. Better to undershoot then overshoot. Drop your ego at this point. Better to heal then put yourself farther into the hole.

I usually do 2 bodyweight accessories, however, now that I am healing, I only do 1, and I only work out one day a week right now, hope to get it up to two days eventually. I will list the accessories I do, with the top one being the one I pick if I only do one. I use to do 3 sets of each accessory, I only do 2 now. Sometimes even 1.

Overhead Press
Chin ups
Elevated Push Ups

Deadlift
Pull ups
Hanging Leg raises

Bench Press
Chin Ups
Push Ups

Squats
Hanging Leg raises
Pistol Squats
(Sometimes I throw is grip work on this day)

Train smart, dont go to exhaustion or anywhere near it. Get yourself some orange juice and gelatin(can even throw in some salt) before during and after your session. Some guys do milk. My biggest meal is always after working out. I like to call it, the feast. :mrgreen:

Oh and your 4th cycle you will notice a huge drop in weight of lifts. Thats your "deload" cycle. Use it, dont skip it. Thats your "take it easy" cycle. Most deload cycles I don't even lift and let my body fully recoup.

narouz

I swear I am so dense! :(
Everytime I read these posts about "5/3/1"
I end up walking away from them without any idea of what they mean.
I even went over to Wendler's site just now
and left it not knowing what the f**k "5/3/1" means.

My best guess:
Okay, you're doing push-ups.
So you do 5 push-up, rest.
Then 3 push-ups, rest.
Then one.
Doesn't seem like much of a workout.

I guess if you belonged to a gym where you could lift very heavy weights.... :roll:

gabriel79

Hi Narouz,
Here´s a good explanation of 5/3/1
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... e_strength

If you can tolerate that t-nation takes 3 pages to write what can be said in 3 paragraphs...

Basically you have a 5/3/1 "core" that is always the same regardless the variation you pick; based on a progression from week to week. You pick a complex movement (one of the powerlifting exercises usually) and do sets of 5 for the 1st week, sets of 3 for 2nd week and sets of 5,3,1 for the 3rd; increasing load and taking the last set of every workout to "almost" failure (say, 1 rep before failure)
Then there´s the accessory part of the day where you put different exercises to either a) support your main core lift; or b) avoid inbalances. There´re different accessory programs, which go by different names, like "the triumvirate", "boring but big" or just no accessory.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
bradley said:
Charlie, for the Wendler program, how much rest time do you allow between sets? And do you just focus on one of the mahor exercises per workout?

I use to do like around 3-5 minutes, but now, that I try to get out of the gym in 20 or so minutes, I take little breaks. But I also don't lift nearly as heavy as I use to. I might try going back to longer breaks, and that will probably set me back to 40 minute workouts. Just to see how it goes. Doing it the Peat way, longer breaks might be best.

Yes, focus on one major move per workout. Also, I always warm up with the squat. So I squat every workout, but only to use it for warmup and dont go heavy on it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals