Does Working Standing Have Health Advantages?

cout12

There seems to be a lot of talk online about how sitting all day is real bad and I was wondering if it's true.

jaa

Probably. I'm just assuming the studies are correct and have no reason to believe otherwise. Intuitively it makes sense. I do know that bad for your posture to sit all day. Even if you sit up straight, shoulders and neck back, as most people don't, you're still going to end up with hips and knees that are tighter than they should be.

My guess it's a good idea to sit occasionally when you're tired of standing, but as is we sit way too much.

nikotrope

I try to work standing 1-2 hours per day. When I stand my pulse and temps are usually higher and it lasts a bit after switching to a sitting position.

I think I've seen somewhere that standing instead of sitting increases lipoprotein lipase in blood which help burn fat (and decrease free fatty acids I assume).

marcar72

Seemed like I had more joint and hip pain come and go when I had a desk job for sure, I'd say... :2cents

Re: Does wroking standing have health advantages?

I bet it gets the lymph vessels going compared to sitting, if that isn't good for metabolism I don't know what is!

jaa

Such_Saturation said:
I bet it gets the lymph vessels going compared to sitting, if that isn't good for metabolism I don't know what is!

I was reading Ready to Run last night and Kelly Starett mentioned this in reference to cool down exercise. Good to know!

Dan W

I can't speak to the health advantages, but I work at a standing desk (with a tall chair for breaks), and notice increased focus and motivation while standing. Which might be explained by some of Amy Cuddy's studies (which is fun to say).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals