Standing vs Sitting while at a computer - which is better and why ?

JamesGatz

I was reading this thread the other day :

Interestingly enough from personal experience - I do feel a lot more effort is put on my body if I stand while on my computer vs sitting - but I still stand while using my computer because based on my experimentation with sitting I get the following experiences

image-of-flaky-skin-in-the-hair-from-dry-scalp.jpg
man-illustration-posture-fb-1080x630.jpg

I notice every time I sit in a chair - even if I try to maintain correct posture - my hair gets flaky and I get serotonergic symptoms - I feel like when one is sitting down this might put pressure on the intestines' (like for example - I hate doing sit-ups because I get serotonergic symptoms from the action of doing it - I am assuming this is the case from some type of compression effect on the intestines from doing crunches- causing digestive upset and gut serotonergic increase) - when I stand - I get none of these symptoms and my hair looks and feels completely fine - once I go back to sitting my hair gets greasy again and I get serotonergic

Blausen_0817_SmallIntestine_Anatomy.png

I am interested in hearing about different experiences from sitting and standing from different people - what I have been doing (with success) is maybe go on my computer for an hour then take a 10-15 minute break laying down on my bed to rest my legs then repeat

If compression effects on the intestines is especially harmful in the context of serotonergic symptoms I am thinking how harmful are waist wraps and belts ? Should one opt for suspenders rather than belts around the waist ? I have always liked wearing suspenders a lot more than belts

656B3AD7-DDD6-4843-95FF-ADA6CA53E150.jpg

Quelsatron

I think the best thing to do would be to not remain in one position for an extended period (aside from sleep). But standing is probably much worse than sitting, because the only people who really stand all day are soldiers and various employees. Hunter gatherers and peasants don't stand around all day, at the very least they're leaning on something.

Also glad to see you back, lol

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I stand at my desk, bc it makes me more productive than sitting.
Yes I feel the same way - when I sit down I feel serotonergic versus standing - I do think that maybe sitting has the intestines in an uncomfortable position that results in increased serotonin in the brain especially if one just ate

Dutchie

Yes I feel the same way - when I sit down I feel serotonergic versus standing - I do think that maybe sitting has the intestines in an uncomfortable position that results in increased serotonin in the brain especially if one just ate
Yeah,the intestines being in an uncomfortable position sounds like a feasable explanation.

I guess there's also a psychological aspect to it, at least for me. I associate sitting down with not having to do anything, so a very passive state of being.

Apple

You can even practise standing without computer :)

Standing Meditation is the single most important and widely practiced form of qigong. It increases vitality, internal strength and fitness as well as overall body power. Standing meditation is a powerful method of healing the body from injuries and chronic illnesses.

StandLikeTreeMasters.jpg

JKX

I have a sit/stand desk. It allows me to move it up and down whenever I feel like it and its great. Sitting all day will lead to chronically tight hips, thoracic rounding and internally rotated shoulders. Not being hypothyroid helps, but it stands to reason that your body will adapt to the positions it is subjected to most often.

Peato Diet

If you are sitting then a good ergonomic chair is a good investment e.g. chairs made by Herman millar, steelcase etc are recognised as being some of the best.

I got a second hand steelcase leap about 8 years ago for £120 and its still going strong.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

If you are sitting then a good ergonomic chair is a good investment e.g. chairs made by Herman millar, steelcase etc are recognised as being some of the best.
Very interesting I am definitely going to look into this - I have an ergonomic mouse and keyboard currently - I was not aware a field for furniture existed for this as well

Peater

What I like about these threads is that it's something I had never even thought of, I would never have thought of linking dandruff with sitting! But it makes sense if body position can affect hormones, depending on how your body manifests that hormonal state. Perhaps constipation is related, rather than the mechanistic view of "You're not moving so everything just seizes up"

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Laying, not with the laptop on your belly, but on a side. Imaging standing while on pc ?
Interestingly enough I have tried this - the only issue is I have my body weight on my shoulders and since I am not that small it does get rather uncomfortable plus I use a plug-in mouse and keyboard so for me especially I can't really feasibly do this position without getting annoyed

HighT

Interestingly enough I have tried this - the only issue is I have my body weight on my shoulders and since I am not that small it does get rather uncomfortable plus I use a plug-in mouse and keyboard so for me especially I can't really feasibly do this position without getting annoyed
goronedesk3.jpg

:D Have you tried this? Ok serious, your weight doesn't need to be on the shoulder. Just raise your head and lay it on the back of the bed with a pillow underneath. Its very comfy, still might be not great for the bones and muscles on the neck and upper back but is better than sitting.
Or how you can be standing still while on pc, unless it's 15 min at time. There was a study for offices that implemented standing desks and reported big health issues.

Sefton10

Key is to keep switching it up. Staying in the same position for any length of time whether sitting or standing is not good.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I was doing more experimentation today with a high-quality chair - with leather and stainless steel - looks a little like this

extra-wide-500-lbs-capacity-leather-desk-chair-w-28-w-seat-303.jpg

Feels incredible. My previous experimentation with sitting while at a computer was with a chair whose cushion has to be a polyster/synthetic blend I'm convinced - the quality and material of the chair play a really strong hand in metabolic response you get while sitting - I would definitely say that it would be wise to opt for the high-quality chairs that are natural materials and more electroconductive - I notice the ergonomic chairs also seem to be high-quality materials​

K

Kayaker

I was doing more experimentation today with a high-quality chair - with leather and stainless steel - looks a little like this

View attachment 31751

Feels incredible. My previous experimentation with sitting while at a computer was with a chair whose cushion has to be a polyster/synthetic blend I'm convinced - the quality and material of the chair play a really strong hand in metabolic response you get while sitting - I would definitely say that it would be wise to opt for the high-quality chairs that are natural materials and more electroconductive - I notice the ergonomic chairs also seem to be high-quality materials​
Don't end up like this. :eek:
assident.jpg