Option Anxiety And The Desperation For Mechanistic Solutions

halken

iLoveSugar said:
post 99589I'm really wondering if what is going on in something BESIDES diet.

I have noticed something quite disturbing here lately, there is a trend to find a means of relinquishing any health problem with number crunching, ratios and all these other data-points. Supplementation is heavily upheld as the compass to one's destination for relief and recovery.

Obsessions with all the macro variants. Applauding certain fatty acids and carbs etc. Glorifying certain minerals and obsessing over unsaturated fat avoidance. You know how Peat talks about exercise being enjoyable for it to be effective? I see the same problem here when consuming the essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids. You would think by now that the psychology of people around here would see a similar affect on their lives and being one of the main reasons WHY they are sick. The thinking in and of itself is part of the illness. Part of the thyroid problem etc.

You might think that all of this stuff matters, it does to a degree. Here, I see people looking at all this stuff as some kind of ****88 up religion or cult. I'm unsure. I have listened to a lot of radio interviews with Peat and he always seems to back up what he is saying with things that are needed in order for all the ratio/foodstuff jargon to have any successful results. Ya know, things like:

"Remember to live life to the fullest and not worry about all this too much".

I'm paraphrasing, but he actually said that at the end of one radio interview (I forget which).

One of my favourites of his is the discussion of evolution and how life is purposeful. I think that is crucial here. The feeling of PURPOSE.

Some of you guys sound pretty ******* nutty when all you talk about is this physical mechanistic rhetoric/terminology.

I've also noticed that you people change certain substances on a whim. Just going cold turkey. I can tell you right now the metabolism is a long, slow process that takes a long time to heal from past toxic rituals and behaviours.

What you are doing to yourselves is actually quite cruel.

You need to be more patient. You also need to let go of some of the things Peat "advocates". I know I have. I think Peat likes to talk about various things in great detail and a lot of people read too much into it.

It's just imaginary implications.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

member 2106

halken said:
iLoveSugar said:

I have noticed something quite disturbing here lately, there is a trend to find a means of relinquishing any health problem with number crunching, ratios and all these other data-points. Supplementation is heavily upheld as the compass to one's destination for relief and recovery.

Obsessions with all the macro variants. Applauding certain fatty acids and carbs etc. Glorifying certain minerals and obsessing over unsaturated fat avoidance. You know how Peat talks about exercise being enjoyable for it to be effective? I see the same problem here when consuming the essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids. You would think by now that the psychology of people around here would see a similar affect on their lives and being one of the main reasons WHY they are sick. The thinking in and of itself is part of the illness. Part of the thyroid problem etc.

You might think that all of this stuff matters, it does to a degree. Here, I see people looking at all this stuff as some kind of f***ed up religion or cult. I'm unsure. I have listened to a lot of radio interviews with Peat and he always seems to back up what he is saying with things that are needed in order for all the ratio/foodstuff jargon to have any successful results. Ya know, things like:

I'm paraphrasing, but he actually said that at the end of one radio interview (I forget which).

One of my favourites of his is the discussion of evolution and how life is purposeful. I think that is crucial here. The feeling of PURPOSE.

Some of you guys sound pretty f***ing nutty when all you talk about is this physical mechanistic rhetoric/terminology.

I've also noticed that you people change certain substances on a whim. Just going cold turkey. I can tell you right now the metabolism is a long, slow process that takes a long time to heal from past toxic rituals and behaviours.

You need to be more patient. You also need to let go of some of the things Peat "advocates". I know I have. I think Peat likes to talk about various things in great detail and a lot of people read too much into it.

I think you may need some vitamin b3.

Tarmander

halken said:
post 110059
iLoveSugar said:

You might think that all of this stuff matters, it does to a degree. Here, I see people looking at all this stuff as some kind of f***ed up religion or cult. I'm unsure. I have listened to a lot of radio interviews with Peat and he always seems to back up what he is saying with things that are needed in order for all the ratio/foodstuff jargon to have any successful results. Ya know, things like:

Some of you guys sound pretty f***ing nutty when all you talk about is this physical mechanistic rhetoric/terminology.

Have you tried avoiding pufa?

artemis

Amazoniac said:
post 110062 Come on pboy, no need to create another user for this. We know it's you and we missed you..
No way, pboy would never use that many paragraphs! It would just be a wall of text!

tara

Those who are able to forget about it and get on with the rest of their lives are the lucky ones. For some of us, health issues severely limit our freedom.

I think OP was overgeneralising. Just because some of us focus on physiology and healing here doesn't mean we don't do other things too in the rest of our lives. Just because we sometimes talk about micro and macro nutrients doesn't mean we are all obsessing about them all the time.
And you know what? Sometimes a deficiency in a key nutrient, or hormone, or some other key factor, can be the difference between getting on and living one's life fully, and not being able to.

I didn't used to pay much conscious attention to meeting my nutritional needs. I was too busy getting out and trying to live my life fully. Eventually my ill health has severely limited my life. I haven't solved it yet. But if I do, I'll be out there doing more stuff again, and the time I've put into it will be worth it.

Hugh Johnson said:
post 110195 How much you should worry depends on how f***ed up you are.
Yeah.
Or at least how much attention you should pay to details that may aid recovery depends on how messed up you are. (Worry itself not always being helpful.)

Brian

I agree. Over the time I've spent on this forum I see too little focus and discussion on lifestyle, social life and environment for addressing hormonal balance. In my experience it doesn't matter what else you do. If you ignore these you'll never dig yourself out of your metabolic issues. I'm guilty as anyone of this.

My best progress was made from getting an entire morning of bright sunlight outside this summer and going on a lot of camping trips with friends. During this time I didn't pay much attention to diet besides eating to satisfaction three times per day, but yet I noticed clear signs of everything moving in the right direction at a rapid pace.

In my experience these are the top things that MUST be addressed:

1) Morning exposure to full sun light or use of a bright light therapy device when sun is not possible. A few hours for full effect.

2) Spending the work day in an environment that is not so miserable that you dread going everyday. Or changing your perspective about the job as just a stepping stone and working towards something better.

3) Daily working towards clear long, mid, and short term goals for developing yourself in a well rounded way that is meaningful for you.

4) Regular socializing, recreation and intimate conversations with friends and family.

If any of these are ignored serotonin and cortisol levels will likely be too high so that diet and supplements will have no noticeable long term significant effect.

tara

Brian said:
post 110303
1) Morning exposure to full sun light or use of a bright light therapy device when sun is not possible. A few hours for full effect.

2) Spending the work day in an environment that is not so miserable that you dread going everyday. Or changing your perspective about the job as just a stepping stone if it can't be changed for the time being.

3) Daily working towards clear long, mid, and short term goals for developing yourself in a well rounded way that is meaningful for you.

4) Regular socializing, recreation and intimate conversations with friends and family.

I agree that these are all really important. In addition to getting basic nutritional needs met.
I'll also add:
- making time for enough sleep
- physical contact

OP
halken

halken

Brian said:
post 110303 I agree. Over the time I've spent on this forum I see too little focus and discussion on lifestyle, social life and environment for addressing hormonal balance. In my experience it doesn't matter what else you do. If you ignore these you'll never dig yourself out of your metabolic issues. I'm guilty as anyone of this.

My best progress was made from getting an entire morning of bright sunlight outside this summer and going on a lot of camping trips with friends. During this time I didn't pay much attention to diet besides eating to satisfaction three times per day, but yet I noticed clear signs of everything moving in the right direction at a rapid pace.

In my experience these are the top things that MUST be addressed:

2) Spending the work day in an environment that is not so miserable that you dread going everyday. Or changing your perspective about the job as just a stepping stone and working towards something better.

If any of these are ignored serotonin and cortisol levels will likely be too high so that diet and supplements will have no noticeable long term significant effect.

Exactly.

Ray Peat said in a radio interview that the first thing you should focus on is something like Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

artist

Lol I don't get on an internet alt health forum to discuss how to enjoy a pretty sunset, I come here specifically to discuss particulars of health issues because that's what it's useful for. This message board isn't where I look to for my aesthetic social or religious concerns but that doesn't mean those aren't of much greater importance in my life. Op I'd be more worried that perhaps you are too immersed in the virtual world if you think the content of peoples posts here represents the full spectrum of their concerns or how they spend their their time

tara

artist said:
post 110341
Lol I don't get on an internet alt health forum to discuss how to enjoy a pretty sunset, I come here specifically to discuss particulars of health issues because that's what it's useful for. This message board isn't where I look to for my aesthetic social or religious concerns but that doesn't mean those aren't of much greater importance in my life.
:yeahthat

OP
halken

halken

artist said:
post 110341 Lol I don't get on an internet alt health forum to discuss how to enjoy a pretty sunset, I come here specifically to discuss particulars of health issues because that's what it's useful for. This message board isn't where I look to for my aesthetic social or religious concerns but that doesn't mean those aren't of much greater importance in my life.

What are you on about? I have no idea what these two sentences have to do with anything - if something - regarding my original post.

Op I'd be more worried that perhaps you are too immersed in the virtual world if you think the content of peoples posts here represents the full spectrum of their concerns or how they spend their their time

I'm barely worried about this crass assumption that you think that I think this way.

Makrosky

artist said:
post 110341 Lol I don't get on an internet alt health forum to discuss how to enjoy a pretty sunset, I come here specifically to discuss particulars of health issues because that's what it's useful for. This message board isn't where I look to for my aesthetic social or religious concerns but that doesn't mean those aren't of much greater importance in my life. Op I'd be more worried that perhaps you are too immersed in the virtual world if you think the content of peoples posts here represents the full spectrum of their concerns or how they spend their their time

Do you think you have much time left if you spend all your day checking calories, micro/macro ratios, temperature, pulse, timing the right supplements at every part of the day, making sure you get two tsp of this and three of that a day but no more than X mg of that a day, plus two servings of charcoal a week and antibiotics once every two months, buying exotic peat foods, reading all labels, being alert at every single meal that you might ingest some PUFA, trying and buying supplements, trying to keep updated with the ideas on this forum, and so on...??? I think the OP is just caricaturizing a prototypical forum user that does all those rituals and forgets about LIFE.

artist

The OP is caricaturizing something that he has no evidence exists at all, based only on the fact that people come here to discuss PUFAs and supplements and not personal fulfillment

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals