Chairs And The Like

Luann

So, I had a weird thing happen today.
Actually, it started when I made a vow a few days ago not to use as much furniture. This was done with the goal of having better posture and core strength: I would sit or belly flop on the floor or ground as much as I liked, so the goal went, but would not sit in an arm chair or sofa. On the bus, I stood in the space by the back door. I eat lunch standing, with the bowl on the counter.
At work today, having been doing this no-chair thing for a few days, I had my first really good day on the job, like, thus far. I've had this job for over six months but haven't really felt like part of the group. It's been hard to eke out feelings of respect and bonding from the staff there, so it seems. But now that I'm not using chairs and sofas, all of a sudden things are fine, I have my self esteem back, people talk to me?
I know what a placebo effect is, and this is not one of them. This is, like, the real stuff. My guess is that having to squeeze my core every time I got off the floor and not being hunched in a desk chair has made my posture a little better and given me some chutzpah.
Also, sitting on the floor or standing gives you (forces you to have?) more of a "big & wide" posture, you stretch out, you widen your base a bit. This would lower my stress level and help with the social aspect. But yeah, if ever you are feeling down, try giving up the furniture, wait a week, and see what happens. It is pretty cool.

Oh and this Modern Sitting Furniture and the Obesity Epidemic | Biomechanics & Health

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

What, the power pose one? I tried power pose but felt like an idiot haha.

bobbybobbob

The japanese had a pejorative phrase "daikon no ashi" for short legged women in the 20th century. A lot of women had very stubby legs. Their cultural habit of spending so much time kneeling and sitting cross-legged on tatami was thought to have stunted growth. Since the popularization of western style seating Japanese limb proportions have changed a lot. It's difficult to disaggregate improved diet (they were all protein starved) but there's probably an influence.

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

That is crazy!! Wow. Maybe chairs are not the devil after all, haha. And don't worry about it - your two cents are welcome : )
also, I love hearing about Japanese stuff. For whatever that is worth.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals