Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia, PCOS, Milk Tolerance, Greying Hair

OP
M

mamaherrera

I am always so unsure about taking my nutrisorb Vitamin A, because even with cronometer, all A gets calculated together (beta carotene, etc) Although I did read that Vitamin A beta carotene will convert to retinol if retinol is needed, anyone can confirm that for me?? But I know I need sufficient vitamin A to convert all my cholesterol ( I tend to always be high) into hormones and not have this big hunk of cholesterol sitting to fail my bloodwork tests (I"m going to recheck in a month). But I also know if you overdo Vitamin A, you can have lots of problems, so here I'm sitting with this same question. I have liver once a milk, a couple cups of milk per day, an egg or two a day. Those are my biggest sources of vitamin A in the diet. And I'm breastfeeding, so I know I need more vitamin A than someone who is not. I don't know . . . how do you all know if you need more vitamin A and when and when not to supplement/?? Obviously I do a 4 ounce been liver, and on those days I do not need vitamin A, but the other days??? How to know?? My morning temp now (I think this is WITH my progesterone helping because I'm in the latter half of my cycle) has been 97.9. After eating breakfast, it goes up to 98.2. :ugeek:

OP
M

mamaherrera

This is something just since starting Peat. I get it once in a while, but I get stomach cramps (Like from when I feel really nervous) and then when I go to the bathroom, there's bright red blood on the toilet paper and my "culito" my anus feels burning/irritated. I'm wondering what to try and help this and what to eliminate first as far as new "peat things" Milk is daily, oj, gelatin, niacinamide, vitamin E, those are the new things I've been putting daily into me, so just wondering what to try and maybe what to eliminate. I get gas sometimes from milk and sometimes I don't. so I don't know if that means it is the milk or it's something else. But I'm very impatient to begin with and this is making me more nervous as I don't know what to do. Thanks

tara

First thoughts from a non-medically trained amateur:
If there was constipation/straining, that can cause sore stomach and tear the exit locally and cause bleeding. If that is the cause, then gentleness is called for - whatever you can do to soften things up may help. Lots of people find cascara sagrada helpful - I don't have experience with it yet. This seems most likely to me. If it's not that, it could be more serious.
Stop any aspirin or ibuprofen etc if you are using them till you've got a better idea what's going on, just in case it's stomach ulcer - although if that were the cause I would have expected it to be darker, not bright red, because it takes a while to get through the tube. Possibly try manuka honey (reputed to have some anti-heliobacter pylori function).
Consider getting medical advice/tests to rule out more serious causes. If it doesn't resolve quickly I'd be doing this if it were me.

OP
M

mamaherrera

I have mthf gene mutation C677t, and still struggling with insomnia, depression, nerves, etc. Seems from what I'm reading about this gene mutation, I should avoid dairy. Which makes me sad, as I like it, but supposedly the dairy doesn't allow me to absorb B12 and with this gene mutation, I struggle to have enough B12 (perhaps why I have white hairs). How do you all do peat with no dairy??

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've read something from Peat on this topic and I think his views are a bit different from what you may have been led to believe. I just need to do a little digging but I should be able to find what I'm looking for this evening.

OP
M

mamaherrera

I would love to know more, thanks Blossom. HOpe you can find some info for me, it gets me more stressed learning and not learning about all these things!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Here is what I found from Ray's January 2014 newsletter:
People who have the less active form of that enzyme have a slightly higher requirement for one of the B vitamins, folate ( which is found in fruits, vegetables, milk, cheese, eggs, liver, etc.). Several other nutrients, vitamins B2, B6, and B12 are involved in the regulation of folate and methylation. Large numbers of people have begun using a variety of supplements that are supposed to increase the methylation capacity. Oddly, it seems that the testing companies, as well as most of the doctors talking about the methylation system, haven't been talking about the association of the "mutant gene" with a much lower risk of cancer.
Now I'm not quite sure if it's the same :roll: Peat's newsletter mentions MTFR but your post said mthf? Sorry mamaherra, I thought it was MTFR. I'll keep looking.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peat actually refers to it as MTHFR so I'm pretty sure it's the same mutation.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't think I'd worry a bit about stopping dairy based on Peat's quote! The alternative medicine doctor I went to tried fear mongering me with that same issue. I think she truly believed it and conveniently had all the supplements I needed to help my problem in stock for immediate purchase :shock:

OP
M

mamaherrera

no and you are right about the MTHFR, I just forget, but what is he saying in his article, if you can help me understand it??? does he have any more references to it??

Blossom

Forum Supporter
He does talk about it a little bit more in the newsletter. Search epigenetics on the forum and I think the article might be posted. It's called Epigenetics, sickness-aging and changing science IIRC.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
He does talk about it a little bit more in the newsletter. Search epigenetics on the forum and I think the article might be posted. It's called Epigenetics, sickness-aging and changing science IIRC.
I checked the forum and the article isn't posted after all. Sorry, I was confusing it with a different ( the meat physiology) newsletter. I will review it in more detail today and post what is mentioned on the subject. You can also subscribe to Peat's newsletter by mailing him directly! I highly recommend this for not missing out on all his great information!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is from the same newsletter quoted from above
Genetic faddism in medicine has been increasing because of advertising for genetic tests sold directly to the public. Many people have been disturbed to learn that they have a "mutation" in a gene called MTHFR. This is an extremely common variation in a gene that relates to the activity of an enzyme that regulates methylation, i.e., the attachment of single carbon atoms to a variety of molecules in the body. A year ago, the American College of Medical Genetics published its recommendation regarding testing for the MTHFR variation: " Recent meta-analysis have disproven an association between hyperhomocysteinemia and risk for coronary heart disease and between MTHFR polymorphism status and risk for venous thromboembolism. There is growing evidence that MTHFR testing has minimal clinical utility and therefore should not be ordered as part of a routine evaluation for thrombophilia."

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks for researching for me, you help me save lots of time. That is definitely good stuff and I truly appreciate Peat researching everything, so that he gives his viewpoint on such things. I just wonder though, even though we're not more at risk for what he mentioned, are there certain things we should be doing or avoiding or taking when we do have this mutation?? Do you think if I wrote him, he would help out with those questions or do you know if he has any more on this?? What do you think??thanks again!

OP
M

mamaherrera

And one more thought. Supposedly there is no problem as long as you are symptomatic :twisted: but the problem is that I am having symptoms: depression, anxiety, stress and not tolerating it well, and major insomnia now days that is worse. So I wonder if for me, it's due to thyroid or the gene mutation and I need a different pathway of treatment. But I also know it's because I probably use up all my B's and need more to better cope with stress and liver detox is another big one. So I wonder does this diet help with that as well or do I need extra?? Those are my questions. . . . just thinking outloud to give my brain a break!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It seems from what I've read from Peat if we include the foods mentioned in the first quote we should be covered. The mainstream has done a lot of damage by making people fearful when the mutation is really more of a common variation. I wouldn't stress about it one bit honestly. You could always email him but I think he really does give us an idea of what foods will provide us with the nutrition we need with or without the gene variation. Don't forget that by keeping methylation in check we are also at a lower risk for cancer! When people take a lot of unnecessary supplements especially the methyl type that negates the lower cancer risk profile, if I understand correctly, and that is probably why Peat gives us sensible suggestions on food sources. That's just my interpretation.

OP
M

mamaherrera

so too much methylation is not a good thing, is that correct?? I know what you mean about lots of incorrect information being out there,. for one: I saw that if you have this mutation you should not drink milk because it does not allow B 12 to be absorbed, but if milk is high in B12, how could that be?? I will stick with everything I'm doing and maybe add in some extra B12 here and there to help with stress. Until I get stress under control. Thanks

natedawggh

Did you actually have a health problem related to this supposed mutation that led you to finding it? If you weren't actually having health problems, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, if dairy were to be a culprit in the lowered B12 absorption, that would only happen while dairy is in your system, right? So if you didn't have dairy with your B12 or B12 with your dairy, theoretically you should be just fine.

OP
M

mamaherrera

My health problems at that time when it was found was hair loss, insomnia, and the doc did all these tests, but she just want gonna put me on a B complex, which I was already taking. It's been years since I've had that test, but again, just having my symptoms of white hair (which can be a lack of folate) I came across that with this mutation, you can have a lack of folate and can't digest folic acid. Which is what reminded me that I have this issue. And besides this, I have a tough time with stress. Any little thing gets me going, mind racing, etc. But I think that if milk is fairly high in B12 itself naturally, than it shouldn't block B12. I only found that written once in an article, so I don't give it much thought, especially seeing that milk is recommended for getting B12 in foods. I will continue on with Peat, but just trying to do better getting folate in my foods. Which is hard unless you eat mango, spinach and beans every day. JUST PEAT, I was lacking folate daily.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals