Cyproheptadine Nullifies My Coffee-intolerance

nograde

I'm struggling with coffee now for years, trying to find an optimal dose that doesn't cause anxiety, panic, breathlessness, jitters and malaise. I experimented with all the suggested approaches: only with sugar, cream, only after meal, taurine, etc., and while all this helps somewhat I can barely go beyond two small cups/day.

Everytime I do a course of Cypro all the problems with coffee go magically away. I can almost drink unlimited amounts with the only side-effect of feeling "hyper" and annoying my colleagues at work. 2mg in the morning keeps me safe until 4pm. Today I was overdoing the coffee and when the "cypro-shield" faded away in the afternoon I was hit with possibly the greatest panic I had in my life. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I felt imminent death, it was tough, seriously :-(

What do you think is the mechanism of Cypro increasing coffee-tolerance?

HDD

I don't know about the cyproheptadine/coffee connection but this is what happens when glycogen is depleted.

RP: "When the blood sugar falls, or when you have any stress, the adrenalin, after the glycogen is depleted, the adrenalin starts mobilizing free fatty acids out of your fat cells, but also out of your other tissues cells, where phospholipids are turning down very fast. And phospholipids will come into the blood, releasing free fatty acids. And if you’ve incorporated a lot of the polyunsaturated fats into your tissues, these free polyunsaturated fats happen to not only interfere with sugar metabolism, but they also signal more stress hormone production. So, they will tell your brain that the stress is worse than it was."​

Taking aspirin or niacinamide should help with the extreme stress response.

OP
N

nograde

Such_Saturation said:

Hmm, interesting. I speculated more in the direction of insulin. Coffee increases insulin and Cyproheptadine suppresses insulin synthesis.

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/79/2/258.full
The diabetogenic compound cyproheptadine (CPH) is known to inhibit insulin synthesis and deplete rat pancreatic insulin content in intact animals, isolated pancreatic islets, and in clonal insulin-producing cells (Chow et al., 1990; Halban et al., 1979; Hintze et al., 1977b; Miller and Fischer, 1990; Rickert et al., 1975).

HDD

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00561737

Cyproheptadine and metergoline improve glucose metabolism in chemical diabetes probably by reducing insulin resistance. This may depend either on decreased secretion of counter-regulatory hormones or on a direct pharmacological action of the drugs on glucose utilization, possibly mediated by their common antiserotoninergic properties.

OP
N

nograde

HDD said:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00561737

Cyproheptadine and metergoline improve glucose metabolism in chemical diabetes probably by reducing insulin resistance. This may depend either on decreased secretion of counter-regulatory hormones or on a direct pharmacological action of the drugs on glucose utilization, possibly mediated by their common antiserotoninergic properties.

Ok, so I'm probably insulin resistant. Hmmm, maybe has something to do with the 20kg weight gain after two years of "Peating", haha. Interestingly Coffe tolerance was best in my low-carb times when I had a more favourable lean/fat mass an did weight training three times a week regularly. Probably the latter was cancelling out any negative effects of LC. I have to hit the weights again, I think there's no way around that.

InChristAlone

I am not insulin resistant I tend toward low blood sugar, mine barely rises to 110 after huge amounts of sugar, yet I've dealt with coffee intolerance. If you get panic from it definitely don't try pushing your tolerance. With cypro it may have something to do with its effect on cortisol as well. I can tolerate about 12 oz without anxiety, but only if I keep up on potassium, otherwise lots of anxiety and racing heart. Gotta keep up with the minerals to have good glucose control.

haidut

Forum Supporter
nograde said:
I'm struggling with coffee now for years, trying to find an optimal dose that doesn't cause anxiety, panic, breathlessness, jitters and malaise. I experimented with all the suggested approaches: only with sugar, cream, only after meal, taurine, etc., and while all this helps somewhat I can barely go beyond two small cups/day.

Everytime I do a course of Cypro all the problems with coffee go magically away. I can almost drink unlimited amounts with the only side-effect of feeling "hyper" and annoying my colleagues at work. 2mg in the morning keeps me safe until 4pm. Today I was overdoing the coffee and when the "cypro-shield" faded away in the afternoon I was hit with possibly the greatest panic I had in my life. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I felt imminent death, it was tough, seriously :-(

What do you think is the mechanism of Cypro increasing coffee-tolerance?

Cyproheptadine lowers both cortisol and adrenalin, so that will blunt the propensity of caffeine to activate the sympathetic nervous system. Also, cypro is sedating and caffeine stimulating so I would expect cypro to blunt the arousal effect of caffeine a bit through that mechanism as well.

GorillaHead

Caffiene plus cypro is unbeleivably amazing. Its like the clearest stimulation with just enough happiness.

no sweating. No cold hands or feet.

I am prone to being thin and excessively sweat. Have had allergies since i was a kid and asthma.

I never truly noticed the profound affects of cypro until today. I feel calm but energetic. Relaxed but awake. Like wow is this what life is suppose to be like. Are my genetics the main reason i am high histamine. My nasal airways are now super clear. And i get a buzz when u drink caffeine. 45mg dose.

ive never felt this from other antihistamines. Is it bad if i stay at .5mg everyday indefinitely?

aguineapig

In this same vein, while using cypro to ameliorate buspirone induced insomnia while titrating the latter, I noticed that I could tolerate tobacco the in the form of the odd pinch of nasal snuff. Similar concept.

I also plan to experiment with propranolol/atenolol for controlling the adrenaline response to caffeine and tobacco, as all of my problems have become variously intractable since stopping them in the midst of a terrible living arrangement.

Bogdar

How much cypro are you taking @GorillaHead? I have haidut's cypro at home and have some trouble with cafeine. It does 10x effects on me but exhaust me in the mid run, I have to do long weeks pause because sometimes crashes become too present.

rei

Try double or triple filtering the coffee, either the PUFA or something else gets removed and the stress response is noticeably diminished with no reduction in stimulation. If this has even remotely similar effect as cypro i bet it is much healthier.

GorillaHead

Try double or triple filtering the coffee, either the PUFA or something else gets removed and the stress response is noticeably diminished with no reduction in stimulation. If this has even remotely similar effect as cypro i bet it is much healthier.

interesting you mention coffee. I dont drink coffee cause my anxiety from coffee is absurd yet tea or preworkouts with high levels of caffeine dont do that to me

rei

Oh, i thought you were drinking coffee with cypro, not just caffeine. Sorry for confusion.

milkboi

Cypro makes me feel retarded as hell, presumably because of it’s anti-cholinergic (and maybe anti-dopaminergic) effects. Actually, I really get (not only feel) dumb, I have trouble finding pretty basic vocabulary etc. No amount of coffee could make up for that.
I think there’s even a Peat quote where he explicitly says it makes you retarded because it is decreasing overall neurotransmitters.

But good for you if that doesn’t apply to you @GorillaHead

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals