Cyproheptadine - Increases Prolactin?

docall18

I have been taking Cypro for a while at 2mg/day. It seems to stop high cortisol & adrenaline in its tracks. However i find it increases anxiety/panicky feelings. This is similar feeling to when my prolactin gets high.

Many studies state that cypro actually low prolactin, however some show it actually increases it. This is what I feel could be happening to myself and others who dont respond well to cypro.

Effect of cyproheptadine on TRH stimulated PRL and TSH release in man

A C EggeA C EggeAlan D RogolAlan D RogolM M VarmaM M VarmaR M BlizzardR M Blizzard
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology &amp Metabolism (Impact Factor: 6.21). 02/1977; 44(1):210-3. DOI: 10.1210/jcem-44-1-210
Source: PubMed
ABSTRACT

TRH-stimulated prolactin release was determined in four male volunteers with and without pre-treatment with cyproheptadine. All showed a marked increase in the TRH-mediated prolactin rise and a marked decrease in the TRH-mediated TSH rise when receiving cyproheptadine pre-treatment

Augmentation of prolactin response to TRH after cyproheptadine
A. C. Ammini, R. J. Dash, R. Sialy
Abstract
Serum PRL, TSH, T3 and T4 were estimated in the basal state and following iv bolus injection of 100 μg synthetic thyrotropin releasing hormone before and 7 days after cyproheptadine treatment in 5 healthy adult males. Only the PRL response to TRH was augmented after cyproheptadine. This is perhaps related to the antidopaminergic effect of cyproheptadine.

Cyproheptadine Stimulated Prolactin Release in the Young Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo)1
S. C. FEHRER, J. L. SILSBY and M. E. EL HALAWANI
+ Author Affiliations

Department of Animal Science, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minnesota 55108
Received January 1, 1984.
Abstract

Cyproheptadine (CHD) at doses of .1 to 10.0 mg/kg body weight produced a dose-related elevation in prolactin (PRL) and no change in luteinizing hormone (LH) levels. Cyproheptadine pretreatment failed to depress the quipazine (serotonin agonist)-induced PRL rise. Rather than inhibiting the serotonergic induction of PRL release in the young turkey, CHD exerted a stimulatory influence on PRL release through another mechanism.

jaguar43

I have seen studies that it inhibits prolactin. I think with a dosage of 10 mg or more it completely inhibits growth hormone. Prolactin and growth hormone have some similar effects.

Because dopamine usually keeps prolactin at bay

J

jb116

How is cypro so highly lauded considering it lowers dopamine?

IhateFin

Maybe since
I have been taking Cypro for a while at 2mg/day. It seems to stop high cortisol & adrenaline in its tracks. However i find it increases anxiety/panicky feelings. This is similar feeling to when my prolactin gets high.

Many studies state that cypro actually low prolactin, however some show it actually increases it. This is what I feel could be happening to myself and others who dont respond well to cypro.

It's been said that this stuff can antagonize dopamine at a certain dose and dopamine inhibits prolactin so I'm sure if you exceed a certain threshold than the dopamine suppression would increase prolactin even considering that the drug on its own inhibits it.

TeaRex14

I wonder why there are conflicting study results in regards to cyproheptadine's effects on prolactin.
Because it's dose dependent. Haidut covered this in a past thread somewhere, I don't have the time to dig through and find it right now, but I'll get back to you with the thread asap. He did say anything under 4mgs (I believe) would be helpful in inhibiting prolactin. Dosages exceeding 4mgs could increase prolactin from dopamine antagonizing.

Kartoffel

In the second study (Ammini), cyproheptadine lowered basal prolactin and only amplified the reaction to TRH.

"No significant change (p > 0.05) in basal serum prolactin (mean± SE) before (432 ± 60 mIU/L) and after (355.7 ± 24.3 mIU/L) 7 days of cyproheptadine therapy was noted. The TRH induced rise in PRL after cyproheptadine was significantly higher (p < 0.1) than that before cyproheptadine: rise before = 940 mIU/L and after cyproheptadine therapy = 1040 mIU/L (Fig. 1)"

TeaRex14

Here is the thread where Haidut explained it. Less pronounced than I originally thought. I thought he had a link to a study supporting his comment. Nevertheless I tend to think he's correct on the issue.

Kartoffel

Here is the thread where Haidut explained it. Less pronounced than I originally thought. I thought he had a link to a study supporting his comment. Nevertheless I tend to think he's correct on the issue.
Yeah, but I have never actually seen any studyx showing that cypro increases basal prolactin. All the studies showing an increase use prolactin stimulation by sth like by TRH.

TeaRex14

Yeah, but I have never actually seen any studyx showing that cypro increases basal prolactin. All the studies showing an increase use prolactin stimulation by sth like by TRH.
So are you suggesting even higher dosages beyond 4mgs won't raise prolactin? I typically never have to take above 1.5mgs anyways, it has a very powerful effect on me, a positive effect.

Kartoffel

So are you suggesting even higher dosages beyond 4mgs won't raise prolactin? I typically never have to take above 1.5mgs anyways, it has a very powerful effect on me, a positive effect.

I don't know. Many studies using much larger doses have not reported prolactin-raising effects, but they weren't specifically looking at it. Then again, it's hard to believe that large doses would yield such amazing results, if cypro raised prolactin significantly. I don't use more than 4-5mcg, either, and I don't discount the possibility of prolactin effects, I am just saying that I have yet to see a study actually showing this effect.

I don't know. Many studies using much larger doses have not reported prolactin-raising effects, but they weren't specifically looking at it. Then again, it's hard to believe that large doses would yield such amazing results, if cypro raised prolactin significantly. I don't use more than 4-5mcg, either, and I don't discount the possibility of prolactin effects, I am just saying that I have yet to see a study actually showing this effect.

Mcg??

I use 4 mg a day for allergies