Continue Taking Thyroid?

JDD

I was taking NDT, 3 grains at one point. At the moment I haven't been taking it and can keep my temps at 98.6+ with good pulse with food alone. Any reason to take or not take some thyroid. I don't feel hyper when I do take it occasionally.

tara

I was taking NDT, 3 grains at one point. At the moment I haven't been taking it and can keep my temps at 98.6+ with good pulse with food alone. Any reason to take or not take some thyroid. I don't feel hyper when I do take it occasionally.
I'm no expert, but I'd say if your metabolism is consistently strong as yours seems to be indicated by temps and heart rate, and you are not showing hypothyroid signs or symptoms, you probably don't need to supplement. I assume when you say that you are not taking any that you mean you have gone a few weeks without any - since the half-life of T4 is long enough to take at least 2 weeks to level out? I would not go randomly/intermittently popping large supplements. But a little dose now and then seems reasonable if you feel it helps. If you are using more than a little bit (eg 1/4 grain), I think it's probably better to keep the daily dose pretty even, and only change it gradually.

If you try to push it higher than your body wants, it may defend itself, by lowering endogenous production, producing more rT3 or other mechanisms. IIRC, Broda Barnes said that endogenous production is likely to fall if you push waking temps up above 98.2 with supplements.

There may be conditions that benefit from slightly higher thyroid function, so there may be a case for going a little higher sometimes. I think Peat may aim slightly higher than 98.6 - eg 99F?

OP
J

JDD

makes sense, probably working off the t4 in my system. I think it would makes sense to take a consistent small dose.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals