Concussion

Ri@Rinse & rePeat
Any comments on this tread?

What are you trying to get me banned?! 😅

I will say that I do think fruit is good for puting on weight, which is what nature intends for food to do in many cases, help people survive. The problem is too much of anything is going to make a person fat. I fresh squeezed myself two or three oranges and mix them with water and add sugar and salt. I have been soaking frozen raspberries and blueberries in water and added a sliced orange to it since yesterday morning. The color, vitamins and minerals that come out of the fruit into the water serves as my multi-vitamin. Fruit is precarious in many ways, from the seeds, skin and fiber, but also things like melons and coconuts harbor mold. Ray Peat said to eat a piece of fruit before a meal to stimulate digestion, not eat lots of fruit, or sugar for that matter. I think people took the ball and ran with on the sugar, and use it wrong. Mixing sugar WITH fruit is wise, but eating white sugar alone is not, as it is empty calories. Sugar, as well as fruit should be used to help with proteins. With all of that to consider, then we have the problem of pesticides and other things sprayed on our fruit, poor soils money maker companies grow the fruit in, the degradation of the fruit from the manufacture processes which destroys the integrity of the fruit, and shockingly long storage times. I think fruit, as well as vegetables, are meant to be eaten in their appropriate seasons, in harmony with the sun, vitamin D and body temperature. Eating juicy fruit in the winter and an apple in the summer is the opposite of what nature intended. Fruit is a wonderful thing and has more nutrition than any other food, but like grains, one needs to think about how it should be prepared and when it is most beneficial. Fruit and other sugar sources are metabolized differently depending on if you are overweight or underweight. It isn’t a one size fits all. The problems with fruit is sometimes the fruit and sometimes the person…

“Obesity, like diabetes, seems to involve a cellular energy deficiency, resulting from the inability to metabolize sugar.” -Ray Peat

“Budd's prescription included 8 ounces of white sugar and 4 ounces of honey every day, and again, instead of increasing the amount of glucose in the urine, the amount decreased quickly as the patient began eating almost as much sugar as was being lost initially, and then as the loss of sugar in the urine decreased, the patient gained weight and recovered his strength.“ -Ray Peat

“Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic.” -Ray Peat

1706285457122.jpeg

“Most store-bought types of orange juice aren’t made by simply squeezing fresh-picked oranges and pouring the juice into bottles or cartons.

Rather, they’re produced through a multi-step, rigorously controlled process, and the juice can be stored in large tanks for up to a year before packaging.

First, oranges are washed and squeezed by a machine. Pulp and oils are removed. The juice is heat-pasteurized to inactivate enzymes and kill microbes that could otherwise cause deterioration and spoilage (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source).

Next, some of the oxygen is removed, which helps reduce oxidative damage to vitamin Cduring storage. Juice to be stored as frozen concentrate is evaporated to remove most of the water (4).

Unfortunately, these processes also remove compounds that provide aroma and flavor. Some of them are later added back to the juice from carefully blended flavor packs (5).

Finally, before packaging, juice from oranges harvested at different times may be mixed to help minimize variations in quality. Pulp, which undergoes further processing after extraction, is added back to some juices (1Trusted Source).”

“Orange juice and whole oranges are nutritionally similar, but there are some important differences.

Most notably, compared to a whole orange, a serving of orange juice has significantly less fiber and about twice the calories and carbs — which are mostly fruit sugar.”
“For example, in one study, store-bought orange juice had 15% less vitamin C and 27% less folate than home-squeezed orange juice (4). Though not listed on nutrition labels, oranges and orange juice are also rich in flavonoids and other beneficial plant compounds.

Though not listed on nutrition labels, oranges and orange juice are also rich in flavonoids and other beneficial plant compounds. Some of these are reduced during orange juice processing and storage (1Trusted Source, 4, 11Trusted Source).

“What’s more, one study found that — compared to unprocessed orange juice — pasteurized orange juice had 26% less antioxidant activity immediately after heat processing and 67% less antioxidant activity after about a month in storage.”

OP
M

Morten

Forum Supporter
What are you trying to get me banned?! 😅

I will say that I do think fruit is good for puting on weight, which is what nature intends for food to do in many cases, help people survive. The problem is too much of anything is going to make a person fat. I fresh squeezed myself two or three oranges and mix them with water and add sugar and salt. I have been soaking frozen raspberries and blueberries in water and added a sliced orange to it since yesterday morning. The color, vitamins and minerals that come out of the fruit into the water serves as my multi-vitamin. Fruit is precarious in many ways, from the seeds, skin and fiber, but also things like melons and coconuts harbor mold. Ray Peat said to eat a piece of fruit before a meal to stimulate digestion, not eat lots of fruit, or sugar for that matter. I think people took the ball and ran with on the sugar, and use it wrong. Mixing sugar WITH fruit is wise, but eating white sugar alone is not, as it is empty calories. Sugar, as well as fruit should be used to help with proteins. With all of that to consider, then we have the problem of pesticides and other things sprayed on our fruit, poor soils money maker companies grow the fruit in, the degradation of the fruit from the manufacture processes which destroys the integrity of the fruit, and shockingly long storage times. I think fruit, as well as vegetables, are meant to be eaten in their appropriate seasons, in harmony with the sun, vitamin D and body temperature. Eating juicy fruit in the winter and an apple in the summer is the opposite of what nature intended. Fruit is a wonderful thing and has more nutrition than any other food, but like grains, one needs to think about how it should be prepared and when it is most beneficial. Fruit and other sugar sources are metabolized differently depending on if you are overweight or underweight. It isn’t a one size fits all. The problems with fruit is sometimes the fruit and sometimes the person…

“Obesity, like diabetes, seems to involve a cellular energy deficiency, resulting from the inability to metabolize sugar.” -Ray Peat

“Budd's prescription included 8 ounces of white sugar and 4 ounces of honey every day, and again, instead of increasing the amount of glucose in the urine, the amount decreased quickly as the patient began eating almost as much sugar as was being lost initially, and then as the loss of sugar in the urine decreased, the patient gained weight and recovered his strength.“ -Ray Peat

“Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic.” -Ray Peat

View attachment 60822
“Most store-bought types of orange juice aren’t made by simply squeezing fresh-picked oranges and pouring the juice into bottles or cartons.

Rather, they’re produced through a multi-step, rigorously controlled process, and the juice can be stored in large tanks for up to a year before packaging.

First, oranges are washed and squeezed by a machine. Pulp and oils are removed. The juice is heat-pasteurized to inactivate enzymes and kill microbes that could otherwise cause deterioration and spoilage (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source).

Next, some of the oxygen is removed, which helps reduce oxidative damage to vitamin Cduring storage. Juice to be stored as frozen concentrate is evaporated to remove most of the water (4).

Unfortunately, these processes also remove compounds that provide aroma and flavor. Some of them are later added back to the juice from carefully blended flavor packs (5).

Finally, before packaging, juice from oranges harvested at different times may be mixed to help minimize variations in quality. Pulp, which undergoes further processing after extraction, is added back to some juices (1Trusted Source).”

“Orange juice and whole oranges are nutritionally similar, but there are some important differences.

Most notably, compared to a whole orange, a serving of orange juice has significantly less fiber and about twice the calories and carbs — which are mostly fruit sugar.”
“For example, in one study, store-bought orange juice had 15% less vitamin C and 27% less folate than home-squeezed orange juice (4). Though not listed on nutrition labels, oranges and orange juice are also rich in flavonoids and other beneficial plant compounds.

Though not listed on nutrition labels, oranges and orange juice are also rich in flavonoids and other beneficial plant compounds. Some of these are reduced during orange juice processing and storage (1Trusted Source, 4, 11Trusted Source).

“What’s more, one study found that — compared to unprocessed orange juice — pasteurized orange juice had 26% less antioxidant activity immediately after heat processing and 67% less antioxidant activity after about a month in storage.”

Nope:) Just curious, you have so many great points, and "down to earth finding". Really appreciate your "work"!

Really mean it:) That tread I referred to was an eyeopener....

bwt I buy organic OJ with pulp, but stored from supermarked in Denmark where I live.
Fruit is tricky, and this is why I set out late last Spring to grown my own, so I can eat is organic, ripe and seasonally.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Has anyone a supplement suggestion for concussion, besides allready established behavior like good sleep, no blue light, calmness ect?

As @Rinse & rePeat said, progesterone has shown great promise in human clinical trials. In fact, they are thinking of giving NFL players a progestin after every diagnosed concussion. Sadly, it looks like it will be a synthetic progestin, not progesterone, and that would likely make things worse and they will say progesterone is actually harmful.
Pregnenolone has also shown promise, but most of the studies with it are with animals. However, the military seems to have taken an interest in pregnenolone, over progesterone, in regards to TBI and they usually get things right when it comes to (physical) trauma.

OP
M

Morten

Forum Supporter
Thanks haidut 🌞.
Also got a great summery on a tread regarding progesterone, that Charlie made in 21', and I heard Ray in GE Podcast mentioning, that if progesterone is being taken "forever", one needs to cycle two week on, and at least one week off progesterone. (I guess for women post-meno).

Btw did you ever finish the trial with B1 and B3 fighting cancer in rats, where they ran out off B´s in the middle of the trial?(I think it was in Thailand.)
And is there a tread on this.

Know that you are super busy, fully recognize if you do not answer:)

Last edited:

TucsonJJ

Yay you’re staying!
Hi there, Rinse! My membership goes to 2/2... I am still deciding... YOU are a great gal... but so much contradictory info, Haidut has seemed to not be around much... religious nut-rolls... loudmouth clowns (you know who far better than I do)... so I still will probably bail...
Do you have a substack? I love your pictures, rompers, yes, but also the FOOD!!! Yowzer!!! 🤪

Hi there, Rinse! My membership goes to 2/2... I am still deciding... YOU are a great gal... but so much contradictory info, Haidut has seemed to not be around much... religious nut-rolls... loudmouth clowns (you know who far better than I do)... so I still will probably bail...
Do you have a substack? I love your pictures, rompers, yes, but also the FOOD!!! Yowzer!!! 🤪
Thank you for saying such nice things about me JJ! I am a hard core “Peater” because it works for me. I wasn’t always in perfect health like I am now though. I cook occasionally with coconut oil, but usually use butter or tallow. My usual foods are below:

- two to three cups of raw milk, which I skim the cream off the top for other uses
-two egg yolks a day or a just boiled egg sometimes room temperature with wasabi
-raw honey
-coffee with milk or the cream I skimmed and maple syrup
-homemade candied orange and lemon peels -homemade marmalade or maple syrup on toasted and buttered manna date bread
-sprouted brown rice cereal with milk
-sprouted oats that I make cookies, pancakes and such with
-organic beef, lamb & liver
-boiled then cooked chicken
-all shellfish, especially oysters, shrimp & scallops
-soups made with my homemade chicken bone broth and beef stew and French onion made with my beef one
-organic white sweet potatoes and regular red potatoes
-cheeses made with grass-fed milk or rennet only cheese and grass fed sour cream
-fresh squeezed organic juiced oranges, peaches, mangos, guava and frozen berries,
-fresh pressed apples, watermelon and rainbow carrots
-well cooked artichokes, broccoli, asparagus, sometimes baby lettuce, fresh nettles, parsley and sweet potato leaves, tomatoes and various peppers that I grow
-organic black tea, cascara sometimes
-sometimes coconut oil made dark chocolate or my homemade ice cream or baked custard
-crackers made with olive oil and brewers yeast
-supplements on occasion a pure MSM or stinging nettle leaf

-my splurge is sometimes an organic pasta or organic saltine crackers made with olive oil and brewers yeast, or olive oil potato chips

TucsonJJ

Thank you for saying such nice things about me JJ! I am a hard core “Peater” because it works for me. I wasn’t always in perfect health like I am now though. I cook occasionally with coconut oil, but usually use butter or tallow. My usual foods are below:

- two to three cups of raw milk, which I skim the cream off the top for other uses
-two egg yolks a day or a just boiled egg sometimes room temperature with wasabi
-raw honey
-coffee with milk or the cream I skimmed and maple syrup
-homemade candied orange and lemon peels -homemade marmalade or maple syrup on toasted and buttered manna date bread
-sprouted brown rice cereal with milk
-sprouted oats that I make cookies, pancakes and such with
-organic beef, lamb & liver
-boiled then cooked chicken
-all shellfish, especially oysters, shrimp & scallops
-soups made with my homemade chicken bone broth and beef stew and French onion made with my beef one
-organic white sweet potatoes and regular red potatoes
-cheeses made with grass-fed milk or rennet only cheese and grass fed sour cream
-fresh squeezed organic juiced oranges, peaches, mangos, guava and frozen berries,
-fresh pressed apples, watermelon and rainbow carrots
-well cooked artichokes, broccoli, asparagus, sometimes baby lettuce, fresh nettles, parsley and sweet potato leaves, tomatoes and various peppers that I grow
-organic black tea, cascara sometimes
-sometimes coconut oil made dark chocolate or my homemade ice cream or baked custard
-crackers made with olive oil and brewers yeast
-supplements on occasion a pure MSM or stinging nettle leaf

-my splurge is sometimes an organic pasta or organic saltine crackers made with olive oil and brewers yeast, or olive oil potato chips
Very useful, thanks!
That liver food list seemed a bit over-the-top... agree? Like I said... so much conflicting info... and if you dive deeper, the people claiming totally different thinks are often well respected MDs or experts...

I am also reading substacks that seem to say we all are DOOMED... examples:

Enough to drive a guy batty!

Like I said... so much conflicting info... and if you dive deeper, the people claiming totally different thinks are often well respected MDs or experts...
I had to navigate through those same mucky waters here. It really helps to read one of Ray’s articles everyday. That is what I did. Doing that helps you decide who you want to get your advice from on the forum. This forum has never been Ray Peat’s forum, it is more of a place to do your own thinking and make it your own diet that works for you. It isn’t a one size fits all here like keto, Atkins, paleo and such. Ray Peat’s articles are fascinating. Here is his website…

TucsonJJ

No, it was a liver health food guide, sort of in a circle, with good, moderate and toxic categories... I think it was from Charlie the Moderator, but he took it down. I think I linked it in a comment to you...
It was pretty restrictive... could be said to be VERY restrictive... but maybe it was intended for people with known liver problems. Eggs and pork were on the VERY toxic list... I wish I could remember more. It was sort of shocking...

No, it was a liver health food guide, sort of in a circle, with good, moderate and toxic categories... I think it was from Charlie the Moderator, but he took it down. I think I linked it in a comment to you...
It was pretty restrictive... could be said to be VERY restrictive... but maybe it was intended for people with known liver problems. Eggs and pork were on the VERY toxic list... I wish I could remember more. It was sort of shocking...
That was Charlie posting a chart on a liver detox, not anything that was from Ray Peat. I saw it though when you posted it.

TucsonJJ

That was Charlie posting a chart on a liver detox, not anything that was from Ray Peat.
Ah... well sort of odd that it would be from the moderator... but for liver DETOX... I guess one needs to be very restrictive...
I have taken a liver detox supplement, and now take milk thistle... my liver enzymes are normal, but I would like them to be lower... ditto C-reactive protein, which I think is maybe most important...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals