Success In The Modern World Vs. Getting/Being Healthy

LUH 3417

I never understand people who are rich but poor health. Yeah money doesn't directly make you happy but there are some immediate changes I would make which would have DRASTIC effects on my health positively

- Undergo a battery of blood tests and metabolic marker tests probably valued in the $k's, and repeat these tests at least twice a year if money was not an issue
- Move to a perfect climate like Hawaii or other sunny warm place
- Hire someone to grow crops for me, so I can eat totally fresh fruits and such

... Just to name a couple things I'd do with huge impacts to health. Maybe inheriting money is the real issue though, because if you inherit it you probably don't appreciate money as much as if you've had to struggle to earn it. Also most people, rich people as well as poor people, are not very health minded.

Back to the OP, I can share the negative sentiments. I think most 9-5 jobs are soul sucking. I have been wanting to retire from my job almost from day one LOL to be 100% frank I only stick it out because of the pay. I wouldn't be able to convince myself to switch to a different job unless it paid at least as well. Keep in mind I suffered a LOT to get this job, 6-7 years in college, lots of sleepless nights, excess alcohol and caffeine to get here, so I'm not gonna be quick to ditch it even if it's soul sucking, simply because the pay is good. But because it is soul sucking I do look for ways to accelerate the retirement plan.

A comment was made earlier disparaging mortgages but long term I think they are smart as long as you get a mortgage well within your means. I bought a house about 33% of my means, so it doesn't hurt too much, although I think I still paid too much. I'm down to only 80k owed on it though, which is not bad at all. I only have a few years left on the loan and I'm still young (32) will have it paid by 40, which is great, because then I'll have "Free" housing at 40. I put free in quotes because yeah I still pay taxes etc.

The thing is that housing is required unless you like being homeless. So yeah, housing is usually a "waste" of money, but it's like food - kind of necessary lol. You can either rent for the rest of your life and literally throw out money, or at least increase capital by putting it into a house.
Why are rich people sick? Because money does not buy friends, love, character, or wisdom despite what everyone believes
In your ideal fantasy world you could still hypothetically be alone and loveless in Hawaii feeling guilty about having people labor for your fruit with a bunch of lab tests you are clueless about

Cirion

Why are rich people sick? Because money does not buy friends, love, character, or wisdom despite what everyone believes

That's fair but being rich does set you up for most of the success (good environment, good food, sleep etcetera).

My experience has shown me that when environment, food, and sleep are perfect that's 80% of the battle right there for wellness though even when I had no friends, family, or significant other near me or much of any social life. Bolded for emphasis. That said, when you have 80% the battle won, you have motivation to actually go out and socialize thus solving the no social life dilemma. In fact that's what started to happen to me when I finally was healthy. Health then socialization, not the reverse. I actually was the unhealthiest in my ENTIRE life when I had the MOST socialization and friends I ever had (Graduate school), so my personal experience discounts the social theory... though I ABSOLUTELY agree friends and family are important, health can be achieved without them. Things only broke down for me because I fell into the trap of a bad relationship which broke me. So honestly, my experience show me that relationships can harm far more easily than they can heal. Seeing as how I healed with no friends, no girlfriend, and no family... And lost my health after having a girlfriend.

I think relationships are over-rated in the sense you DO NOT need them to be health or even be satisfied or fulfilled. Are they a helpful addition in some cases? Absolutely. My experience has shown that relationships are far more likely to harm than be helpful though. Toxic friends, horrible ex's. I'd rather have no social life than any of that =P I am sure my post will not be well received by most, but my personal experiences prove this to be true. To be blunt, I think most people feel like they "need" relationships because they like the validation they get, the alleviation of symptoms like loneliness, boredom, depression, and many other classic hypothyroid issues. I contend that all of those are alleviated through actions YOU take and YOU alone. Only YOU can provide the love YOU need, and no one else. Yeah sure a girlfriend/boyfriend is nice, family is nice, friends are nice, but if you NEED their love and validation to be healthy, then I contend that you (to be clear I'm using "You" generically, just in case that wasn't clear) weren't healthy to begin with.

Last edited:

LUH 3417

That's fair but being rich does set you up for most of the success (good environment, good food, sleep etcetera).

My experience has shown me that when environment, food, and sleep are perfect that's 80% of the battle right there for wellness though even when I had no friends, family, or significant other near me or much of any social life. Bolded for emphasis. That said, when you have 80% the battle won, you have motivation to actually go out and socialize thus solving the no social life dilemma. In fact that's what started to happen to me when I finally was healthy. Health then socialization, not the reverse. I actually was the unhealthiest in my ENTIRE life when I had the MOST socialization and friends I ever had (Graduate school), so my personal experience discounts the social theory... though I ABSOLUTELY agree friends and family are important, health can be achieved without them. Things only broke down for me because I fell into the trap of a bad relationship which broke me. So honestly, my experience show me that relationships can harm far more easily than they can heal. Seeing as how I healed with no friends, no girlfriend, and no family... And lost my health after having a girlfriend.

I think relationships are over-rated in the sense you DO NOT need them to be health or even be satisfied or fulfilled. Are they a helpful addition in some cases? Absolutely. My experience has shown that relationships are far more likely to harm than be helpful though. Toxic friends, horrible ex's. I'd rather have no social life than any of that =P I am sure my post will not be well received by most, but my personal experiences prove this to be true. To be blunt, I think most people feel like they "need" relationships because they like the validation they get, the alleviation of symptoms like loneliness, boredom, depression, and many other classic hypothyroid issues. I contend that all of those are alleviated through actions YOU take and YOU alone. Only YOU can provide the love YOU need, and no one else.
So social life does not effect health, but your health fell apart when you got into a bad relationship, hence your social life fell apart. Hm..

Cirion

So social life does not effect health, but your health fell apart when you got into a bad relationship, hence your social life fell apart. Hm..

No I'm not saying social life doesn't affect health, I'm saying it's rarely instrumental in restoring health but is often instrumental in destroying health.

I am sure you can come up with exceptions. Let's say tomorrow I met my future wife, and she is everything I dreamed she would be, super hot, fellow health nut, advocating for me to follow my dreams, an inspiration. Would that bring value to my life? Absolutely. No argument at all. Finding someone like that is like a needle in a haystack though and BTW, any girl actually worth that much isn't interested in dating someone who is currently unhealthy. I have literally been on dates with girls that said they won't date me because I'm not full of passion in life. Well sorry that I'm hypothyroid, not like I can easily control that. The only options for dating then when you're unhealthy is other unhealthy people who will do nothing but tear down your life further. So for now, I choose to be single.

LUH 3417

No I'm not saying social life doesn't affect health, I'm saying it's rarely instrumental in restoring health but is often instrumental in destroying health.
I see I misunderstood you. I disagree but I don’t think that means it can’t be personally true for you or that it wasn’t true for me in other times of my life.

Cirion

Fair enough. I admit I am jaded, and again I'm absolutely sure that positive relationships CAN be very helpful, but that negative relationships can also be extremely harmful, and I'm not at a state where I really want to risk extremely harmful relationships. Plus I have no energy for it anyway =P So the hermit's life is for me for now LOL

I also admit I could have done a better job screening out my ex. So, I do accept that responsibility. I had plenty of warning signs very early on I should have recognized. I let myself be deluded, because it was my first relationship I'd ever had actually, so it was exciting and the new experiences made me ignore the red flags. Won't make that mistake again. Next person I date will add value or be kicked to the curb =P

I still stand by my assessment that healing can occur without relationships though. Since that was my personal experience, I basically consider that fact (for me at least) and not opinion. What I can agree though is that just going through the motions could be harmful, and being rich could lend oneself to just go through the motions and not go for self improvement. Self improvement is key, whether that's cleaning up diet, trying to get more sun, getting at least some light movement/exercise, reading more books, starting a side business, getting better sleep hygiene, etc... if you're rich and everything is handed to you from inheritance, I can see how one might not be motivated to pursue any self improvement. But you'll note everything I have listed to improve health has to do with self and little to do with others.

Last edited:

lampofred

Fair enough. I admit I am jaded, and again I'm absolutely sure that positive relationships CAN be very helpful, but that negative relationships can also be extremely harmful, and I'm not at a state where I really want to risk extremely harmful relationships. Plus I have no energy for it anyway =P So the hermit's life is for me for now LOL

I also admit I could have done a better job screening out my ex. So, I do accept that responsibility. I had plenty of warning signs very early on I should have recognized. I let myself be deluded, because it was my first relationship I'd ever had actually, so it was exciting and the new experiences made me ignore the red flags. Won't make that mistake again. Next person I date will add value or be kicked to the curb =P

I still stand by my assessment that healing can occur without relationships though. Since that was my personal experience, I basically consider that fact (for me at least) and not opinion. What I can agree though is that just going through the motions could be harmful, and being rich could lend oneself to just go through the motions and not go for self improvement. Self improvement is key, whether that's cleaning up diet, trying to get more sun, getting at least some light movement/exercise, reading more books, starting a side business, getting better sleep hygiene, etc... if you're rich and everything is handed to you from inheritance, I can see how one might not be motivated to pursue any self improvement. But you'll note everything I have listed to improve health has to do with self and little to do with others.

I think a serotonin antagonist can help to break out of jaded/low energy states

Cirion

Maybe. My experience with supplements has not been stellar though. I get much more benefit from say, getting enough sleep, than any dosage of caffeine or thyroid or anything else could ever do.

I had bad sleep last night so my posts today reflect that =P Sleep remains my Achilles heel. I literally have to have picture perfect sleep hygiene or I suffer the price, and it is made worse because I have to have 12 hr of sleep to feel good. It is VERY easy to slip up and fail with sleep when 12 hrs are needed. I watch one two many episodes on TV, take too long with errands after work, and I'm hosed, as it basically requires eating dinner and going straight to bed. Mehhh lol

Amazoniac

- Intelligence and metabolism

"[..]Lewis Terman was studying bright children, and wanted to disprove some of the popular stereotypes about intelligent people, and to support his ideology of white racial superiority. In 1922 he got a large grant, and sorted out about 1500 of the brightest children from a group of 250,000 in California. He and his associates then monitored them for the rest of their lives (described in Genetic Studies of Genius). His work contradicted the stereotype of bright people as being sickly or frail, but, contrary to his expectation, there was an association between maladjustment and higher I.Q.; the incidence of neurotic fatigue, anxiety, and depression increased along with the I.Q. The least bright of his group were more successful in many ways than the most bright."​

Cirion

So basically, putting it bluntly, dumb people are more likely to have an easier time finding happiness?

I do have an above average IQ. Sometimes being dumb would have its perks... lol

Amazoniac

LUH 3417

I think there are scenarios where two (or more) non perfect people can help each other improve their life situation. I don’t know the reason why, but caring for other people is a powerful motivator. I also feel like you have a tendency to emphasize perfection - perfect partner, perfect sleep. Not trying to scrutinize you but reality is not perfect.

Cirion

I think there are scenarios where two (or more) non perfect people can help each other improve their life situation. I don’t know the reason why, but caring for other people is a powerful motivator. I also feel like you have a tendency to emphasize perfection - perfect partner, perfect sleep. Not trying to scrutinize you but reality is not perfect.

I use "perfect" a little loosely perhaps. By that I mean someone you don't fight with 90% of the time you communicate, and someone who is on your side instead of always belittling you, maybe 10% fighting at most (sure, everybody has a bad day now and then), and by perfect sleep I mean waking up rested virtually every day and 98.6F almost every day, I don't believe either of which is a pipe dream by any imagination - there are plenty of healthy people on these forums who sleep like this every night. It can be done / accomplished. Think of it as "Very Good" instead of perfect if that helps I suppose. But I agree, two non-perfect people can make a good couple, but I find it to be a little uncommon. Usually people just wallow in their mutual problems, but I admit, I HAVE seen like this one couple on my facebook feed before that mutually decided to get healthy together and I do have to say that's pretty awesome, but I don't think it's very common, but when it does happen for sure it's cool and that's the kind of partnership you want to have. It generally requires both people to be on the same page, but unfortunately many times couples are not on the same page on many things, and some times not any things (and that's when people fight over everything).

LUH 3417

I use "perfect" a little loosely perhaps. By that I mean someone you don't fight with 90% of the time you communicate, and someone who is on your side instead of always belittling you, maybe 10% fighting at most (sure, everybody has a bad day now and then), and by perfect sleep I mean waking up rested virtually every day and 98.6F almost every day, I don't believe either of which is a pipe dream by any imagination - there are plenty of healthy people on these forums who sleep like this every night. It can be done / accomplished. Think of it as "Very Good" instead of perfect if that helps I suppose.
Makes sense. Best of luck

I think I heard Dr. Peat say it today on an interview. (The interview I just heard today. He did it some time ago.)

If you have enjoyment and pleasure in your work and in your day, that's the key.

I love my life, I love my wife, I love my work. I take great pleasure in what I do. I think that's super helpful.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

What substances are you thinking of? Although Cypro did help a ton with gut inflammation, and with sleep of course, it didn't help out with depression/learned helplessness/chronic fatigue.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

You tend to be right, if you are thinking of "working class" success, which is pretty much what you describe in your post. I've always thought there was some difference between the sort of "working yourself to death" success, and real true success. Recently, I came across this video by Reggie Middleton which connected the dots for me, better than anything I've seen or heard before, and all in just under 17 minutes-

Excellent points made by him all around. Yes, some people make higher wages working than others. Yes, some people can work longer hours than others. But any time you do that, you always hit a hard limit of how much you can work, as we all only have 24 hours in a day. But I really don't think you can achieve that true financial success you hint at without adopting the "capitalist" mindset. Long term, the outlook for the "highly paid working class" is looking bleaker and bleaker.

I still think it would take some time, depending on where you are starting from, but I think almost anyone could probably make it to the capitalist class he talks about in 5-10 years, if you really understand the mindset he's talking about. You may work some long and hard hours in that time, however. At the same time, I think there are some amazing opportunities out there where the same person could achieve that sort of success in just a year or two, more so than at any point in history.

I also think there is great training out there on the success mindset, from the likes of Napoleon Hill and Earl Nightengale. Looking at the two paragraphs I wrote about, you could be more optimistic or more pessimistic than in the past. Almost seems like they contradict each other, but I don't really see it that way.

One other note, being young, you likely have advantages at your disposal that older people don't have, the best being a lack of mortgage and lack of debt (hopefully). "Owning" a house is sold to the majority as the best investment you can make, but the dirty secret is that most people don't truly "own" their house, they share it with a bank and "own" a mortgage. Keep in mind that a lot of things that are sold as "success" in the mainstream thought of things are really an illusion, and if you really think about things and follow them through, you can make much better decisions than just going by other's default perceptions.

Thank you very much for your post... I am seriously thinking about quitting my education (studying law right now... being a lawyer mostly sounds like being a good paid slave to me atm), picking up a job so I can support myself and educating myself on business and finances. And then basically taking the fastest and morally sound way to getting financially successful. It's a hard choice, because I would be "a quitter", and my parents like the idea of a "stable career" better. But it's definitively the better choice in regards to my goals and values

OP
milkboi

milkboi

I think I heard Dr. Peat say it today on an interview. (The interview I just heard today. He did it some time ago.)

If you have enjoyment and pleasure in your work and in your day, that's the key.

I love my life, I love my wife, I love my work. I take great pleasure in what I do. I think that's super helpful.

That sounds awesome... Although the creation of good life circumstances might be a kind of chicken-or-egg-situation in my opinion. Getting a good job and then actually enjoying it every day is dependent on being healthy to a certain degree right? (same for good relationships)

ilikecats

How do I get Stephen Cohens job? People who have used farmaciadelnino know what I’m talking about.

“Please note: All checks must to be payable to Stephen Cohen and not Medicina Mexico. The reason being, Medicina Mexico does not have bank accounts outside of the Country of Mexico.

Please Note: Mr. Cohen has registered with the United States Government's Department of the Treasury (FINCEN) as a Money Service Business and he is bonded and authorized to accept payments on behalf of Medicina Mexico, SA de CV.”

Baller. I’m sure he’s getting a ton of money for that. They say they get 850,000 online orders a day...

tankasnowgod

Thank you very much for your post... I am seriously thinking about quitting my education (studying law right now... being a lawyer mostly sounds like being a good paid slave to me atm), picking up a job so I can support myself and educating myself on business and finances. And then basically taking the fastest and morally sound way to getting financially successful. It's a hard choice, because I would be "a quitter", and my parents like the idea of a "stable career" better. But it's definitively the better choice in regards to my goals and values

There's a couple other things to consider about studying to be a lawyer right now. First, if you are in the USA, there is an excess of lawyers in the this country. Second, there is a good chance that industry is going to be seriously disrupted within the next decade or so. If you haven't heard of "Smart Contracts" yet, you may want to look into them. I have heard a lot of people suggest this is going to drastically reduce or even eliminate the need for lawyers all together. Of course, no one knows the future for sure, but it does seem pretty plausible to me. Regardless, becoming a lawyer in the coming years may not at all be the "stable career" that your parents (and many others) think it is.

Personally, if I could go back in time, I wouldn't go to college at all. I would think seriously about what I wanted to do, and then I would find someone who was very successful in that area, and become a student/apprentice of them. While I can't go back in time, I actually do have a mentor in the financial markets, and it is one of the smartest decisions I have made.

Last edited: