Coconut flour?/Bulking and need quick calories

akgrrrl

I'm sorry to quote my own post, but just to back up your point, I think soaking can be very helpful, too. The type of rice does seem to make quite a noticeable difference.

Here's another relevant Ray Peat quotation (also in that same thread).
Oh thankyou! Soaking, I totally forgot soaking. absolutely correct.

MidBicep

Since we're talking about rice preparation, I just boil water and then add the rice in for 10-12 minutes, just like pasta. I've heard of others doing it like this in this forum for arsenic, but to be honest I just needed a way of cooking that was consistent and I couldn't F up even if I wanted to.

CreakyJoints

Since we're talking about rice preparation, I just boil water and then add the rice in for 10-12 minutes, just like pasta. I've heard of others doing it like this in this forum for arsenic, but to be honest I just needed a way of cooking that was consistent and I couldn't F up even if I wanted to.

Based on the studies I've linked I'm not sure why that would deal with arsenic at all. Could you explain how avoiding any other methods of preparation is helpful? Where have people said that this is a good idea?

I think it should be soaked for several hours (I think one of the studies goes up to 14) for pesticides and additives, and rinsed for excess starches at the very least. If one can get a hold of good quality rice, then soaking it has even more benefits.

You can also buy pre-soaked rice and just rinse it thoroughly, then cook it as you describe - a much more simple method that might help at least a little bit if things like arsenic are a concern. It's probably wise to wash most, if not all, of your ingredients before use anyway.

johnwester130

Starting my bulk tomorrow as I am chronically underweight for my age and height (tall and young ectomorph) and need quick efficient and calories. My diet will be nutrient dense as I will be eating organ meats, seafood and potatoes. So I will have my vitamins/minerals down. I am also supplementing withs tuff. I need quick calories for carbs however as I can't keep buying potatoes, I dont wan't to use too much refined white sugar, will only be willing to go up to 60g a day. Is coconut flour a decent option for getting carbs in? Any other ideas, thanks

red mill masa harina?

equipoise

never heard of it, what exactly is it, is it peat approved?
nixtamalized corn. in fact it's #1 Peat recommendation if opting for starch. I however, didn't have the chance of trying it since I can't find any Masa Harina in my town (and I can find everything usually, so that's weird) - can make proper Mexican tortillas with it and maybe some minced beef sauce that would be a perfect match

PaRa

nixtamalized corn. in fact it's #1 Peat recommendation if opting for starch. I however, didn't have the chance of trying it since I can't find any Masa Harina in my town (and I can find everything usually, so that's weird) - can make proper Mexican tortillas with it and maybe some minced beef sauce that would be a perfect match

Found this, looks fu****g good
too bad, they just send in Germany, and I'm not there

PaRa

Yeah I had the same issue. I really don't know why is to so hard to order some Masa. Easier to order some amphetamine sulphate for crying out loud haha
ahah where are you in Eu ? I'm in France so just next to Germany, maybe they'll send further, later

akgrrrl

Here is a common yet delicious way to have masa. Make coffee. Using that as a base, add cinnamon, sugar, cocoa nibs or chocolate, a spoon of coconut oil or creamed coconut makes this really delicious, and a good amount of milk.Then put coupla big spoons of masa in a cup of water stiring to dissolve. Add this to the mixture stirring, some salt, and sweeten to taste.Bring to bubbling.It will get thick as the masa cooks, making a sweet, chocolatey gruel perfect for early mornings.

akgrrrl

Otherwise, masa is used for pumpkin bread, as flour in small cakes, appetizers, blended with meat broth for tamale "pie" layered casseroles, tamales, sopes, gorditas, tortillas.

equipoise

Here is a common yet delicious way to have masa. Make coffee. Using that as a base, add cinnamon, sugar, cocoa nibs or chocolate, a spoon of coconut oil or creamed coconut makes this really delicious, and a good amount of milk.Then put coupla big spoons of masa in a cup of water stiring to dissolve. Add this to the mixture stirring, some salt, and sweeten to taste.Bring to bubbling.It will get thick as the masa cooks, making a sweet, chocolatey gruel perfect for early mornings
Sounds beyond amazing, now only to find Masa source

OP
A

AndrogenicJB

I'm thinking of maybe using goat milk. Is pasteurized goat milk fine, does it need to be grass fed or is that only for cows. Doe goats milk contain hormones. I found some store-bough goats milk that was quite cheap and the lactose might be a good way to add carbs.

meatbag

I'm thinking of maybe using goat milk. Is pasteurized goat milk fine, does it need to be grass fed or is that only for cows. Doe goats milk contain hormones. I found some store-bough goats milk that was quite cheap and the lactose might be a good way to add carbs.
All milk contains hormones, pasteurized is better than non-pasteurized. Some people digest goats milk better
Milk, Calcium And Hormones, East West Healing, 2011

Austin Resch

Starting my bulk tomorrow as I am chronically underweight for my age and height (tall and young ectomorph) and need quick efficient and calories. My diet will be nutrient dense as I will be eating organ meats, seafood and potatoes. So I will have my vitamins/minerals down. I am also supplementing withs tuff. I need quick calories for carbs however as I can't keep buying potatoes, I dont wan't to use too much refined white sugar, will only be willing to go up to 60g a day. Is coconut flour a decent option for getting carbs in? Any other ideas, thanks
Raw/unheated dairy would be a great addition if it can be sourced (high in carbs, and packed with bioavailable nutrients). Adding generous amounts of maple syrup to coffee, drinking OJ throughout day, may also be a good approach to drive calories. White rice may be good to implement since it is very versatile, and to improve its palatability one could add dextrose powder (as per recommendation of bodybuilder/powerlifter Stan Efferding).

OP
A

AndrogenicJB

All milk contains hormones, pasteurized is better than non-pasteurized. Some people digest goats milk better
Milk, Calcium And Hormones, East West Healing, 20
Milk, Calcium And Hormones, East West Healing, 2011

Raw/unheated dairy would be a great addition if it can be sourced (high in carbs, and packed with bioavailable nutrients). Adding generous amounts of maple syrup to coffee, drinking OJ throughout day, may also be a good approach to drive calories. White rice may be good to implement since it is very versatile, and to improve its palatability one could add dextrose powder (as per recommendation of bodybuilder/powerlifter Stan Efferding).
What advantage do you see dextrose powder having over cane sugar

Cara

I’ve been there before! I’m no expert but I’ve researched down rabbit holes :)
The Oxalates in chocolate and yams aren’t an issue unless you’re on antibiotics- those block your body from breaking down oxalates.
Are Japanese sweet potatoes affordable near you? Bake 400 for an hour then top w/ butter or ghee, honey, cinnamon and salt. You can bake up to 3 at a time, you’ll have delicious Japanese sweet potatoes for days. Plus, when cooled down, they’ll turn into RS. I hope this helps you!

OP
A

AndrogenicJB

I’ve been there before! I’m no expert but I’ve researched down rabbit holes :)
The Oxalates in chocolate and yams aren’t an issue unless you’re on antibiotics- those block your body from breaking down oxalates.
Are Japanese sweet potatoes affordable near you? Bake 400 for an hour then top w/ butter or ghee, honey, cinnamon and salt. You can bake up to 3 at a time, you’ll have delicious Japanese sweet potatoes for days. Plus, when cooled down, they’ll turn into RS. I hope this helps you!
Preciate it, I actually stopped sweet potatoes because i think it was anti thyroid because of the high beta carotene, had a goitrogenic feel to it

meatbag

Preciate it, I actually stopped sweet potatoes because i think it was anti thyroid because of the high beta carotene, had a goitrogenic feel to it
I noticed the same thing a few years ago when I was trying to eat a lot :/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals